1956 57 58 Chrysler Imperial C70 C56 Limousine Info

3macboys

Does anyone out there know the location of these cars.  Some were built by Ghia others it looks like Memphis Coach and Armbruster.  I have a quantity of service information regarding some of these cars including some internal Chrysler Teletypes and communications from Chrysler Canada and US to a dealer in Chatham, Ont that was repairing one of the cars that was damaged in a collision.  I will try to pull out the serial numbers below from the documents.  Ideally I would like to be able to unite the material with the cars that are discussed in the documents if they still exist.  Failing that my intention is to send them to the AACA Library for future research and use.  They include may part numbers specific to these cars.  It appears that the cars were 56, 57 and 58 model years and the last document is from 1961.

C56-9826 - C70 Crown Imperial body shell supplied to Boano or Bonno Co in Turin, Italy

C56-1157

C57-1419

LY1-1031

LY1-1001 1958 Chrysler Ghia delivered to John David Eaton 

LS2-13676 Montreal SO21500 - there is mention of one other car to Montreal possibly S021499 and 2 to Toronto SO21450 second number U/K

LS2-13767 LS2-M 7 Pass Sedan 

I found this in a lot of sales brochures that I had picked up a couple of years ago and is very interesting reading but really should go to the cars discussed in it. I will include a couple of pictures of what I have.

Don  

DSC_0060.JPG

All 1956 and earlier Crown Imperials were built /bodies by Chrysler Corporation.   The very few exceptions being special orders that included custom modifications.  In almost every case, Derham Coachworks, Rosemont, PA, was the go-to specialty shop for this work.    In '56 Derham did two such orders for individuals (I own one).  In '55 Derham converted three and all were for the Eisenhowers.  '54 and earlier can be internet researched including AACA who has the photo files donated by a Derham heir.

1957- 1965 Crown Imperials were exclusively built by Ghia in Turin, Italy.   For '57-59  LeBaron coupes were sent over in partial assembly for Ghia to stretch the chassis and bodywork and add their custom coachcloth interiors.  1960-65 saw LeBaron 4dr sedans sent over to start the process.

Your intentions for the AACA library are EXCELLENT.

Memphian and Armbruster /Stageway were not given direct contracts from Chrysler for conversions.   Their work was as private contractors building a class of cars generally referred to as "airporters"  referring to very long stretch, multi-door sedan conversions, mostly of entry level models for use transporting volumes of passengers for airports, hotels, and some for military bases.   Memphian's specialty was usually ambulances and hearses and they built on any brand chassis you wanted.

• Thanks 1

Thank you both for the additional information.  After I made the original post about correspondence between a dealer in Chatham and Chrysler in Windsor I seemed to recall reading someplace that Chrysler also had operations in Chatham, Ont.  Maybe someone can clarify if this was actually the case and what those operations were.  This material came out of a collection of a fellow who's father had worked at the Chrysler offices in Windsor and I can only guess how it possibly ended up into a private collection.  

• Like 1