If you were a car what kind would you be?

Buick35

"i, sadly, would probably be a Garbage truck. " with Ardun heads (original contract).

Not sure. Would need to be a two door computer car with a 500 mile range. 0-60 under 6 seconds, 30 mpg, and a lot of luggage room. Oh and a retractable roof but not an SSR. Never could take the styling.

O.K. Girls and boys. I'll play. It may seem surprising, but THIS Cadillac IS me. I know I have written about the thing and where it has been. I don't remember whether I have shown pictures of it. I bought this '71 when it was a beautiful, relatively new used car. Initial depreciation had made it a marvelous, economical driver. I had every service receipt from new. I love(d) it. Just about time for tires and shocks, I got T-boned. Insurance company paid me every cent I had in it and let me keep it. This car's name is "Shakedown Street".

Always wanted to cruise all of Mexico in a droptop Cad. ALL of Mexico. From my experience 4 wheel driving "Eyes of the World", a new '77 Blazer, through Mexico, Central, and South America, I knew my dream was just impossible fantasy. Cadillacs couldn't get where I would need to be. Buuuuut now I had a free Cadillac convertible to cut up and modify to stand up to the punishment I would inflict on it. I know I have got into some of the details of the engine and suspension mods of this raunchy relic in the past. Now it was a capable Cad, and  some places this car, went, no car had ever gone before. ONLY this car has ever been there. Followed hoss trails with the top down. Folks didn't speak Spanish so far back. Well, prior to this dream adventure, I had run Baja with it a couple of times, and then came an opportunity of a (or perhaps several), lifetime(s). The unprecedented 3 step Peso devaluation of 1982. From around 22 to the buck, to almost 150. That  means what had previously been merely inexpensive had just become almost free. We lit out January '83. "Six days, oops, I mean months, upon the road", 20,000 miles ! Came back richer, not only for the experience, but financially also. Spent fewer Greenbacks on the adventure than I would have if I had just stayed home ! 

The car could go again; sadly, I'm all done in. It became a hunting rig. It could still go hunting; sadly, I can't. Good news is that we do go off-roading in the wilds above the ranch. Amusing encounters take place from time to time out there. You ought to see the looks of astonishment when this thing lumbers out of the trails where the 4-WD guys are airing up or down. A lucky chance encounter took place in Oaxaca, Oax. Mecico. Sandy and I were trying to find a couple of friends on what would prove to be insufficient information. All we really knew was that they were very rural, out of Oaxaca. These friends did not know we were in Mexico, nor had they ever seen or heard of this Cad. Luckily, they had come to town, and saw this monster parked, in full cruise trim, flying Washington plates. They realized this could ONLY be ME, put a message on the windshield with contact info, and we hooked up. Off we went, over and down a scenic road, reportedly impassible to all but high clearance trucks. Oh it was remote and uninhabited, all right.Indeed so remote and uninhabited that my trusting and extremely powerful friend, "Walking Tom", bucked out with the rest of us and plunged into the refreshing river. He foolishly proceeded to drink some of it. Miraculously he suffered absolutely no intestinal consequences !!!!!!  Well,  the road turned out to be not QUITE impassable to the off-roader Cadillac. I was just able to get through, although not without damage - I just HAVE to find the bashed-but-not-breached transmission pan to bear witness. I had planned ahead and carried a spare, the 'pan being the lowest clearance point on the FWD Eldo'. Even got through that daunting rock garden without having to deploy my highly able extraction gear. And on and on we went ! I wish each one of you could have had a chance at riding shotgun on that GREAT adventure. This Cadillac really IS me. And you all know :     -   Cadillac Carl  

P.S. Some of you who know me here might have thought my 1927 Cadillac would have been the one. But, well, anyway, IT'S name IS : "Eyes of the World, TOO"

8DF5B794-638B-4D2B-96D2-F2F9EA7143BA.jpeg

6A7A3DF1-821C-49A5-8F7A-EEC20AE7B35E.jpeg

95523A14-8877-4613-B742-3BE6C86EC34E.jpeg

Edited by C Carl
Substantial rewriting and clarification (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely a Willys Knight.

I've been fascinated with the Sleeve Valve Engine for many years and still want to purchase one.

........Maybe one like this  !

knight.jpg

• Like 1

Hey there, Rusty_Ol'Lincoln ! I know how it is to be worn out. And I know how it is to be 68 years old. I did that for an entire year about 7 years ago. And I remember you telling me that you are a big guy. Well, OK. But unpopular ? No, THAT'S not YOU, man. All the generous help you give here makes you a site treasure ! You are very popular here, and I know you are likewise on other sites. Don't worry, we love you.      Thanks,    -   CC 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 6:05 PM, victorialynn2 said:

This, I definitely would want to be this...

E1642C91-BC98-4543-B769-FD02675F4B59.png

I was stationed on St. Louis in 1965 an looked at one like that at the dealership.

I remember saying, $5800, who would ever pay that?  Times have changed.