sirlucky

"Miss Helen" my show car. Ron Warner

Have I done something wrong ?? I sure hope not, I was looking for info on my 28 Desoto and it grew into a couple of guys getting to know each other. Sorry if I broke some rule.

2 hours ago, sirlucky said:

Have I done something wrong ?? I sure hope not, I was looking for info on my 28 Desoto and it grew into a couple of guys getting to know each other. Sorry if I broke some rule.

No. You have not done anything wrong. I checked out your little town on Google Earth. Looks like a nice place.

Thought I might have done something wrong and yes, the little City of Tehama is a great place to live. There are a couple of things though that folks need to know. We are also known for the fact that we are the most often flooded city on the Sacramento River and , If you screw up every one in town will know it in a hour. I see you are a Dodge Brothers fan. I have a 1924 Dodge Brothers Screen Side that was running when I brought it home but it has been up on blocks and covered for about 10 years now. Thinking about selling it and all the parts I have bought for it.

No, don't worry, Ron. It is not that you have done anything "wrong". It is just that you have posted this discussion in the wrong place, in the wrong category. Post-WWll Photos is not what you have. You could post above in General Discussion, or below in Chrysler Products - General, or in DeSoto itself. Perhaps you should get a moderator to move this entire topic to a more appropriate place - your choice. If you would like, you or I can click report post, and include comment to ask for help.

Also you have asked what I am interested in, and whether I am on the Facebook. Not on 'book, and in general particularly enjoy turning gasoline into fun. My three most favorite things to do with cars are driving, driving, and driving. My parents were long distance car cruising adventurers. I was almost always disappointed when we "got there", I enjoyed the road more than the destination. I took the cruising to a longer distance, longer duration, more adventurous level. Used to be a very experienced, highly capable high-speed road runner, but now pretty much take the slow lane. I like driving my '24 and '27 Cadillacs on lightly traveled back roads between 25 and 40 mph. I am rather busted up, and disabled, but feel profoundly grateful that I can still wrassle and wrangle the oldies around. Although the cars are somewhat older than I am, they run far better than I do. Perhaps more remarkable, in that they are original, unrestored cars. I was very fortunate to have found these old survivor Cadillacs, and to have had the money for them back then. What about you ? Do you drive your old show car(s) on the wonderful back roads at your doorstep ?                                           Also profoundly grateful that I have met you and my other old car forum friends here in AACA. I have been known for almost 50 years as :      -   Cadillac Carl 

90608240-EF48-4570-8E6E-8B7F2EEC2C01.jpeg

C430919D-B689-416A-804F-CF759BD750EB.jpeg

250FF202-BC7F-43C6-9045-B2C22373CA34.jpeg

75873790-F061-4BEF-9C32-AEFC27BEEFA7.jpeg

My apologies to OP (& others) if following adds to confusion.

I'm currently sitting just few feet away from a foreign sports car model that was in production for approximately 4.5 years between '69 and '73.

This particular example was manufactured during last quarter of '72 in compliance with all D.O.T./E.P.A./NHTSA regulations applicable for '72 model year as it was built/designated/intended for U.S. markets, but it wasn't imported (to U.S) until late spring of '73 and remained unsold until spring of '74, when it was first time registered (in Hollywood) as "new" car with California DMV designating its model year as 1974, even thought manufacturing of the model had ceased nearly a year earlier.  

Having always been registered in Southern California and still with her 2nd ownership (purchased in '76), she continues to be registered (on paper) as a '74.

I've seen evidence of some these (same kind of) cars manufactured in '72/'73 having remained unsold as new cars until '76 and eventually designated/registered as such.

Another example could be '32 Plymouth PB, which as a designated model (incl. year) had production start delays forcing the manufacturer (Chrysler Corp.) to extend '31 Plymouth PA's production timeline later than intended and therefor causing some confusion by inadvertently designating over-extended late production PA's (= '31) as 1932 Plymouths.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Confused 1

The whole 'model year' thing can be a can of worms. When you buy a new car you want it to be as up to date as possible so next year's date is plausible.

When it becomes an 'old car' then there is apparently a need for it to be as old as possible.

As has been noted there are no 1928 DeSotos but that hasn't stopped there being quite a few here in New Zealand - at lest as far as their owners are concerned.

I think though that similar appearing Plymouth does have 1928 and 1929 models - differences in engines, and visually in hubcaps and bumpers.

There have been ongoing arguments here in NZ with a few Essex cars. To partake in 'veteran' events a car has to be dated no later than 31 December 1918. It is well documented that a few 1919 Essex cars - the first model - were built before 1 Jan 1919 and a few owners have tried to claim their Essexes are eligible for veteran events. Subsequent enquiries have shown their cars date from the early months of 1919.

Most American regular productions cars have a production period from late in one year to late in the next - often from September or October. I know having researched some older Japanese models the new production year sometimes starts in August.

I have a 1965 Pontiac that was built in the first week of production of the 1965 model year, which was the first week of September. There is no doubt whatsoever that it is a 1965 model car, but using the arguments put up by the OP it is a '64!

Of course one-offs and limited production cars can be dated to whatever year the owner chooses. I know someone who owns a Jaguar D-Type. I recall him telling me it was built in late 1955 and completed and shipped in 1956. I don't think there was an actual 'model year' for those.

Very early cars - pre about 1905 - were subject to constant changes as technology of the time improved and it must be a nightmare trying to date them.

Some makes did not have specific year models. Studebaker in the late 1920s was a good example. Many models had runs of only a few months and model introductions occurred at different times of the year.

On 1/29/2020 at 5:33 AM, TTR said:

My apologies to OP (& others) if following adds to confusion.

I'm currently sitting just few feet away from a foreign sports car model that was in production for approximately 4.5 years between '69 and '73.

This particular example was manufactured during last quarter of '72 in compliance with all D.O.T./E.P.A./NHTSA regulations applicable for '72 model year as it was built/designated/intended for U.S. markets, but it wasn't imported (to U.S) until late spring of '73 and remained unsold until spring of '74, when it was first time registered (in Hollywood) as "new" car with California DMV designating its model year as 1974, even thought manufacturing of the model had ceased nearly a year earlier.  

Having always been registered in Southern California and still with her 2nd ownership (purchased in '76), she continues to be registered (on paper) as a '74.

I've seen evidence of some these (same kind of) cars manufactured in '72/'73 having remained unsold as new cars until '76 and eventually designated/registered as such.

Another example could be '32 Plymouth PB, which as a designated model (incl. year) had production start delays forcing the manufacturer (Chrysler Corp.) to extend '31 Plymouth PA's production timeline later than intended and therefor causing some confusion by inadvertently designating over-extended late production PA's (= '31) as 1932 Plymouths.

I think a similar case happened with the 'new model' 1970 Camaro and Firebirds. Looking through my copy of the Standard Catalog it says the reason for February 1970 introduction of the new model was the slow sales of the old 1969 cars, whereas in the Pontiac section it says the late introduction of the new Firebird - also February 1970 - was due to 'tooling problems' Believe what you will.