"Miss Helen" my show car. Ron Warner

3 hours ago, sirlucky said:

My fed co number tells me it was built in Oct of 28 but first sold in 1929.

I believe 1929 was the first DeSoto model year, and cars built in 28 were sold as 29 models - much like now when new models come out before that model year starts.

• 3 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 10:43 AM, keiser31 said:

You are calling the car a 1928, but it has 1929 plates.

It was first sold in 1929 and has been regestered as a 1929 here in Calif. Trying to get it changed to 28 and find another set of plates for California 1928.

On 10/14/2019 at 6:01 PM, CHuDWah said:

I believe 1929 was the first DeSoto model year, and cars built in 28 were sold as 29 models - much like now when new models come out before that model year starts.

That being the case, there are NO 1928 DE Sotos. If you actually can turn your '29 into a '28, you will then have something truly UNIQUE ! Or am I the one who is missing something here ?      -    Carl 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, C Carl said:

That being the case, there are NO 1928 DE Sotos. If you actually can turn your '29 into a '28, you will then have something truly UNIQUE ! Or am I the one who is missing something here ?      -    Carl 

Carl, in some states you must register your car by the year it was built not the model year. I have talked to other members of the National Desoto club who have 28's and they have to register them as 1928's.

My 1924 Cad was registered on its Ohio title as a '25. Washington DOL had no hesitation correcting that upon being presented with logical, irrefutable evidence. My '27 had been registered as a'26. Oregon DOL was just as cooperative in correcting the error. But you must have clear documentation.

I hope you don't live in one of those states where a car built in October 2019 can not be registered as the 2020 it is.

27 minutes ago, sirlucky said:

. I have talked to other members of the National Desoto club who have 28's and they have to register them as 1928's.

So are the other members happy that their '29s must be called'28s  ?  I would have been frosted if I were forced to call a blatantly obvious 1927 Cadillac, a '26. 

23 hours ago, sirlucky said:

It was first sold in 1929 and has been regestered as a 1929 here in Calif. Trying to get it changed to 28 and find another set of plates for California 1928.

Shhhh.................. !!!!!!!!!!!!   🤫  Don't tell NO body  🤭   Save yourself the hassle of time and money spent trying to turn a '29 De Soto into a 1928 in California.  😉  (Sleepin' dogs, & California DMV, you know). By the way : Where in Cal do lucky you live, sir ?      Aging and ailing in wet, dark, gloomy, depressing Washington,      -    Unlucky Cadillac Carl 

2 hours ago, C Carl said:

My 1924 Cad was registered on its Ohio title as a '25. Washington DOL had no hesitation correcting that upon being presented with logical, irrefutable evidence. My '27 had been registered as a'26. Oregon DOL was just as cooperative in correcting the error. But you must have clear documentation.

I hope you don't live in one of those states where a car built in October 2019 can not be registered as the 2020 it is.

So are the other members happy that their '29s must be called'28s  ?  I would have been frosted if I were forced to call a blatantly obvious 1927 Cadillac, a '26. 

Shhhh.................. !!!!!!!!!!!!   🤫  Don't tell NO body  🤭   Save yourself the hassle of time and money spent trying to turn a '29 De Soto into a 1928 in California.  😉  (Sleepin' dogs, & California DMV, you know). By the way : Where in Cal do lucky you live, sir ?      Aging and ailing in wet, dark, gloomy, depressing Washington,      -    Unlucky Cadillac Carl 

I just think that if a car is built in 1928 than it is a 1928, not a 1929 the year it was sold. Have talked to  couple of 28 owners and they were upset when they had to register them as 29 making them a year newer and dropped the value of the cars. If my car is a 28 then that makes her 92 years old and I will be 82 years old in June. My goal is to show her when she is 100 and I'm 90. I live here in Northern Calif. 125 miles north of Sacramento and 6 miles east of I-5. The little town of Tehama,( Pop.400?). My deck sits 20ft.above the Sacramento River.

Edited by sirlucky
want to add something (see edit history)

1 hour ago, sirlucky said:

I just think that if a car is built in 1928 than it is a 1928, not a 1929 the year it was sold. Have talked to  couple of 28 owners and they were upset when they had to register them as 29 making them a year newer and dropped the value of the cars. If my car is a 28 then that makes her 92 years old and I will be 82 years old in June. My goal is to show her when she is 100 and I'm 90. I live here in Northern Calif. 125 miles north of Sacramento and 6 miles east of I-5. The little town of Tehama,( Pop.400?). My deck sits 20ft.above the Sacramento River.

Even if you could get DMV to title your car as a 1944 Edsel, that doesn't make it one.  Walter P said it's a 29 regardless when it was built - I choose to believe him over DMV.  I doubt titling as a 28 versus a 29 will make any difference in value, especially when most buyers know 29 was the first model year.

There's no previous year to compare your car but for example, here's a 37 DeSoto:

1937-desoto-rumble-seat-coupe.jpg

and here's a 38:

14015017-1938-desoto-2-dr-coupe-std.jpg

Completely different grills, headlights, bumpers, etc but let's say the 38 was built in late 37.  By your logic, that makes it a 37 - sorry, no.

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CHuDWah said:

Even if you could get DMV to title your car as a 1944 Edsel, that doesn't make it one.  Walter P said it's a 29 regardless when it was built - I choose to believe him over DMV.  I doubt titling as a 28 versus a 29 will make any difference in value, especially when most buyers know 29 was the first model year.

There's no previous year to compare your car but for example, here's a 37 DeSoto:

1937-desoto-rumble-seat-coupe.jpg

and here's a 38:

14015017-1938-desoto-2-dr-coupe-std.jpg

Completely different grills, headlights, bumpers, etc but let's say the 38 was built in late 37.  By your logic, that makes it a 37 - sorry, no.

They started building the DeSoto in August ? of 1928, my car came off the line in the second week of Oct. 1928, this would be about the 5th or 6th week of production according to the antique auto club of America who found it by using the fedco # on the Dash.

1 hour ago, sirlucky said:

They started building the DeSoto in August ? of 1928, my car came off the line in the second week of Oct. 1928, this would be about the 5th or 6th week of production according to the antique auto club of America who found it by using the fedco # on the Dash.

...and?  That would make it an early production 29 MODEL year, which may or may not be worth a premium - but it's still a 29.

Look, I'm not dissing your car.  It appears to be very nice.  Call it what you will but it's a 29.

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I give up, it is a 29 model built in 28, I will still show it as a 28. By the way, she has won 45 Best in her class which some times is 1904 to 54 and other times its 1928-31 and 2 Concourse d Elegance, and 5 best of show. Had judge tell me that he has judged shows all over the west coast and Nevada and she is the oldest DeSoto he has ever seen. It is one of 4 known on the west coast and one of 8 in the world according to the National Desoto club records. Would love to see a picture your car.

• Like 1

Hi Ron ! Now I see where Tehama is. Looks like you have virtually unlimited back roads running in all directions from you. Must be some really great scenic slow roads in your general area ? Very interesting destinations within a reasonable radius. Also looks like you are not far from that terrible fire last year.    -   Carl 

Yup, I live in a rural area with miles of back roads. I have Mount Lassen to the east of me about 50 miles and Mt. Shasta 80 miles to the north of me.. As for the fire's the Car fire which burned a lot of homes in the Redding area was 50 Miles to the North West of me and then the Camp fire which destroyed Paradice, Ca. was 40 miles to the south east of me. Being a retired firefighter from southern Ca. I almost burnt up my scanner. I was the Mayor of The City of Tehama for 12 years and then a Tehama County Supervisor for 8 years but retired from all of that in 2012, now I just fish and Garden and do car shows. How about you ? what are you into ?? Do you do Facebook ? I'm there also Just look for Ron Warner Tehama Calif. I forgot to mention that they lost about 300 show and collector cars and truckes and motorcycles in the Camp fire and more than a hundred in the Redding fire. My friend did save his 1961 Desoto, the last year they built them and sometimes at car shows we park our cars nose to nose to show the folks the first and last Desoto's to be built

Edited by sirlucky (see edit history)

I've been around there doing surveying. Stayed a week in Red Bluff, surveyed a PG&E gas main west somewhat along hwy 36 till it got to Fortuna, and stayed there several days too. I liked Fortuna. Then Eureka, then Klamath Falls Oregon. down to Tulelake Calif, Burney, then south through the hills to Anderson. Burney is fly fishing paradise. My Aunt and Uncle lived in Corning.

2 hours ago, sirlucky said:

Have I done something wrong ?? I sure hope not, I was looking for info on my 28 Desoto and it grew into a couple of guys getting to know each other. Sorry if I broke some rule.

No. You have not done anything wrong. I checked out your little town on Google Earth. Looks like a nice place.

Thought I might have done something wrong and yes, the little City of Tehama is a great place to live. There are a couple of things though that folks need to know. We are also known for the fact that we are the most often flooded city on the Sacramento River and , If you screw up every one in town will know it in a hour. I see you are a Dodge Brothers fan. I have a 1924 Dodge Brothers Screen Side that was running when I brought it home but it has been up on blocks and covered for about 10 years now. Thinking about selling it and all the parts I have bought for it.

No, don't worry, Ron. It is not that you have done anything "wrong". It is just that you have posted this discussion in the wrong place, in the wrong category. Post-WWll Photos is not what you have. You could post above in General Discussion, or below in Chrysler Products - General, or in DeSoto itself. Perhaps you should get a moderator to move this entire topic to a more appropriate place - your choice. If you would like, you or I can click report post, and include comment to ask for help.

Also you have asked what I am interested in, and whether I am on the Facebook. Not on 'book, and in general particularly enjoy turning gasoline into fun. My three most favorite things to do with cars are driving, driving, and driving. My parents were long distance car cruising adventurers. I was almost always disappointed when we "got there", I enjoyed the road more than the destination. I took the cruising to a longer distance, longer duration, more adventurous level. Used to be a very experienced, highly capable high-speed road runner, but now pretty much take the slow lane. I like driving my '24 and '27 Cadillacs on lightly traveled back roads between 25 and 40 mph. I am rather busted up, and disabled, but feel profoundly grateful that I can still wrassle and wrangle the oldies around. Although the cars are somewhat older than I am, they run far better than I do. Perhaps more remarkable, in that they are original, unrestored cars. I was very fortunate to have found these old survivor Cadillacs, and to have had the money for them back then. What about you ? Do you drive your old show car(s) on the wonderful back roads at your doorstep ?                                           Also profoundly grateful that I have met you and my other old car forum friends here in AACA. I have been known for almost 50 years as :      -   Cadillac Carl 

90608240-EF48-4570-8E6E-8B7F2EEC2C01.jpeg

C430919D-B689-416A-804F-CF759BD750EB.jpeg

250FF202-BC7F-43C6-9045-B2C22373CA34.jpeg

75873790-F061-4BEF-9C32-AEFC27BEEFA7.jpeg

My apologies to OP (& others) if following adds to confusion.

I'm currently sitting just few feet away from a foreign sports car model that was in production for approximately 4.5 years between '69 and '73.

This particular example was manufactured during last quarter of '72 in compliance with all D.O.T./E.P.A./NHTSA regulations applicable for '72 model year as it was built/designated/intended for U.S. markets, but it wasn't imported (to U.S) until late spring of '73 and remained unsold until spring of '74, when it was first time registered (in Hollywood) as "new" car with California DMV designating its model year as 1974, even thought manufacturing of the model had ceased nearly a year earlier.  

Having always been registered in Southern California and still with her 2nd ownership (purchased in '76), she continues to be registered (on paper) as a '74.

I've seen evidence of some these (same kind of) cars manufactured in '72/'73 having remained unsold as new cars until '76 and eventually designated/registered as such.

Another example could be '32 Plymouth PB, which as a designated model (incl. year) had production start delays forcing the manufacturer (Chrysler Corp.) to extend '31 Plymouth PA's production timeline later than intended and therefor causing some confusion by inadvertently designating over-extended late production PA's (= '31) as 1932 Plymouths.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

The whole 'model year' thing can be a can of worms. When you buy a new car you want it to be as up to date as possible so next year's date is plausible.

When it becomes an 'old car' then there is apparently a need for it to be as old as possible.

As has been noted there are no 1928 DeSotos but that hasn't stopped there being quite a few here in New Zealand - at lest as far as their owners are concerned.

I think though that similar appearing Plymouth does have 1928 and 1929 models - differences in engines, and visually in hubcaps and bumpers.

There have been ongoing arguments here in NZ with a few Essex cars. To partake in 'veteran' events a car has to be dated no later than 31 December 1918. It is well documented that a few 1919 Essex cars - the first model - were built before 1 Jan 1919 and a few owners have tried to claim their Essexes are eligible for veteran events. Subsequent enquiries have shown their cars date from the early months of 1919.

Most American regular productions cars have a production period from late in one year to late in the next - often from September or October. I know having researched some older Japanese models the new production year sometimes starts in August.

I have a 1965 Pontiac that was built in the first week of production of the 1965 model year, which was the first week of September. There is no doubt whatsoever that it is a 1965 model car, but using the arguments put up by the OP it is a '64!

Of course one-offs and limited production cars can be dated to whatever year the owner chooses. I know someone who owns a Jaguar D-Type. I recall him telling me it was built in late 1955 and completed and shipped in 1956. I don't think there was an actual 'model year' for those.

Very early cars - pre about 1905 - were subject to constant changes as technology of the time improved and it must be a nightmare trying to date them.

Some makes did not have specific year models. Studebaker in the late 1920s was a good example. Many models had runs of only a few months and model introductions occurred at different times of the year.

On 1/29/2020 at 5:33 AM, TTR said:

My apologies to OP (& others) if following adds to confusion.

I'm currently sitting just few feet away from a foreign sports car model that was in production for approximately 4.5 years between '69 and '73.

This particular example was manufactured during last quarter of '72 in compliance with all D.O.T./E.P.A./NHTSA regulations applicable for '72 model year as it was built/designated/intended for U.S. markets, but it wasn't imported (to U.S) until late spring of '73 and remained unsold until spring of '74, when it was first time registered (in Hollywood) as "new" car with California DMV designating its model year as 1974, even thought manufacturing of the model had ceased nearly a year earlier.  

Having always been registered in Southern California and still with her 2nd ownership (purchased in '76), she continues to be registered (on paper) as a '74.

I've seen evidence of some these (same kind of) cars manufactured in '72/'73 having remained unsold as new cars until '76 and eventually designated/registered as such.

Another example could be '32 Plymouth PB, which as a designated model (incl. year) had production start delays forcing the manufacturer (Chrysler Corp.) to extend '31 Plymouth PA's production timeline later than intended and therefor causing some confusion by inadvertently designating over-extended late production PA's (= '31) as 1932 Plymouths.

I think a similar case happened with the 'new model' 1970 Camaro and Firebirds. Looking through my copy of the Standard Catalog it says the reason for February 1970 introduction of the new model was the slow sales of the old 1969 cars, whereas in the Pontiac section it says the late introduction of the new Firebird - also February 1970 - was due to 'tooling problems' Believe what you will.