1928 DeSoto Conquistador DeLujo Coupe

sirlucky

My references show DeSoto started sales in late '28 with cars deemed to be '29 models. I don't see reference to a "Conquistador DeLujo" version at all. There is a mention of the "Conquerer" name being used on the model K in 1929 in the Don Butler book. And apparently "de Lujo" was used on a number of the deluxe versions of various DeSotos. There were several 6 and 8 cylinder series during that range of years. Finally, I only see break outs on body style counts for some series.

As it is not clear to me which series of DeSotos would have been labeled Conquistador, I guess I can't help much more other than to suggest also giving the model/engineering code for the vehicle in question. If you don't know that posting the FedCo number for the car would identify it.

My references are pretty run of the mill (Standard Catalog of American Cars by Beverly Rae Kimes & Henry Austin Clark, Jr., The Plymouth and DeSoto Story by Don Butler, and A Pictorial History of Chrysler Corporation Cars published in 1975 by Chrysler Corporation). Probably there more detailed information elsewhere.

The fabric roof was used only in the first part of the production run. I bought one in WV on eBay ~5 years ago. The seller stated that he had a valid title but it somehow disappeared after the auction ended. They eventually produced a title but it had the engine casting number as the vin. I got my money back and it sold again to who knows where. No way I’m taking on the DMV to get a vin correction, I couldn’t get them to do a mileage correction even with their own paperwork showing it was their mistake. Do you have one of these? I’d like to see a picture if you do. 

5 minutes ago, richasco said:

The fabric roof was used only in the first part of the production run. I bought one in WV on eBay ~5 years ago. The seller stated that he had a valid title but it somehow disappeared after the auction ended. They eventually produced a title but it had the engine casting number as the vin. I got my money back and it sold again to who knows where. No way I’m taking on the DMV to get a vin correction, I couldn’t get them to do a mileage correction even with their own paperwork showing it was their mistake. Do you have one of these? I’d like to see a picture if you do. 

It's the red one here....

3 hours ago, ply33 said:

My references show DeSoto started sales in late '28 with cars deemed to be '29 models. I don't see reference to a "Conquistador DeLujo" version at all. There is a mention of the "Conquerer" name being used on the model K in 1929 in the Don Butler book. And apparently "de Lujo" was used on a number of the deluxe versions of various DeSotos. There were several 6 and 8 cylinder series during that range of years. Finally, I only see break outs on body style counts for some series.

As it is not clear to me which series of DeSotos would have been labeled Conquistador, I guess I can't help much more other than to suggest also giving the model/engineering code for the vehicle in question. If you don't know that posting the FedCo number for the car would identify it.

My references are pretty run of the mill (Standard Catalog of American Cars by Beverly Rae Kimes & Henry Austin Clark, Jr., The Plymouth and DeSoto Story by Don Butler, and A Pictorial History of Chrysler Corporation Cars published in 1975 by Chrysler Corporation). Probably there more detailed information elsewhere.

I don't remember where I saw the name Conquistador, but it is very possible that I am getting the name wrong at 81, I sometimes don't remember what I had for Breakfast. The Fed co # shows it was built in the 1st or 2nd week of Oct in 1928. and is a K model 6 cylinder. I cant read one number of the fed co. But what I can make out is   KC then something that might be a 2 then 940.         KC_940

15 minutes ago, sirlucky said:

I don't remember where I saw the name Conquistador, but it is very possible that I am getting the name wrong at 81, I sometimes don't remember what I had for Breakfast. The Fed co # shows it was built in the 1st or 2nd week of Oct in 1928. and is a K model 6 cylinder. I cant read one number of the fed co. But what I can make out is   KC then something that might be a 2 then 940.         KC_940

Could that final 0 be a "D"? Otherwise I can’t make that into a valid FedCo number much less one for a DeSoto. I am guessing your car is in the range of KW-000-P through KD-999-D which would be for the 1929 Model K DeSotos. For example, KC-294-D would be number 22949 of 99999 of that series Model K built in Detroit.

5 hours ago, richasco said:

Several manufacturers made similar faux convertibles, with or without landau irons, around that time.  Is the DeSoto cloth-covered steel like modern vinyl tops, or is it fabric over bows like a convertible?

3 hours ago, sirlucky said:

Ply33 mentioned the name Conqueror was used on the model K.  That translates to Conquistador in Spanish, and de Lujo is Spanish for de Luxe.  Since the DeSoto make was named after a Spanish conquistador, it's not surprising that the model names continued in that vein.

3 hours ago, ply33 said:

Could that final 0 be a "D"? Otherwise I can’t make that into a valid FedCo number much less one for a DeSoto. I am guessing your car is in the range of KW-000-P through KD-999-D which would be for the 1929 Model K DeSotos. For example, KC-294-D would be number 22949 of 99999 of that series Model K built in Detroit.

My mistake, it is a "P" not a 0  KC_294P