1936 Pedal seals

vette-kid

I'm hoping someone can post a pictures of the pedal seals at the firewall for a1936 P2.  Mine are completely disintegrated and I'm having a hard time picturing how they go in.  Party of my problem is that Steele lists for different items for a 36 P2, all different sizes.  A picture of which direction they go in and how they stay put might help me...I hope!

I would recommend the Steele no. 40-0217-24 as this should be the correct part for your car. To install them you have to remove the toeboard and the pedal pads. The seals then are slid, flat side up, down the shafts. After reinstalling the toeboard and pedals, reach under the car and push the seals up against the bottom of the toeboard as they seal from underneath. They stay in place by friction against the shafts. You can find cheaper rubber parts but many times the Steele parts are made from a better quality rubber and look better but that's a decision you will have to make.

• Like 1

40-0217-24

40-0175-24

50-0066-24

40-0016-24

Those all show as correct for a 36 P2.  I don't have a problem with the price for quality, but I'm far from certain I'm going to get that without when they list four different numbers for the same application.

Guest broker'bob

steel sells the seals but the problem   you can not get them on unless you slit them     one side is the peddle the other the pivit    no way to get them on

51 minutes ago, broker'bob said:

steel sells the seals but the problem   you can not get them on unless you slit them     one side is the peddle the other the pivit    no way to get them on

It's my understanding that the pedal is threaded onto the shaft.  You should be able to unscrew the pedal and slip them over.  I've not verified this on mine as yet, but Dad swears that is the case.

• Like 1

On the '33 the pedals and shafts are one piece forgings. Even when things were all the way apart I couldn't get the draft pads over the big end pivot points much less the pedal. Ended up slicing them and then using contact cement to join the slice after installation.

I've often wondered how the factory installed the draft pads. Can't imagine them cutting and then gluing them back together on the assembly line. Did they mold/vulcanize them directly on the shafts?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vette-kid said:

Forgive my ignorance, what is WPC?

It's not ignorance, and it doesn't need to be forgiven!

"WPC" means Walter P. Chrysler, the founder of the

company bearing his name.

Your question is a reminder to us all not to use jargon.

Acronymns, abbreviations, and the like aren't known to 

every user.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, the pedals are two piece, at least on my car.  However, I just don't see how these seals stay in place.  I've removed the toe board (huge pain BTW), but there's nothing to hold it when the pedal is depressed.  Seems like it would just press out into the engine bay 

IMG_20191105_133242556.jpg

15729807676517612709264893865493.jpg

I believe the seals are designed to seal only when the pedals are up.  This is most of the time as the pedal is only down when shifting (unless you "float the gears") or are braking.  Some older cars had a felt seal that was held between two metal plates on the toe board so the pedals could move up and down in them.

36 minutes ago, vette-kid said:

Ok, the pedals are two piece, at least on my car.  However, I just don't see how these seals stay in place.  I've removed the toe board (huge pain BTW), but there's nothing to hold it when the pedal is depressed.  Seems like it would just press out into the engine bay 

Should be a little seat/indent at the point the pedal shaft makes a right angle turn that holds the seal. The seal rides on the pedal shaft and only seals when the pedal is in the released position.

• 3 weeks later...