Say Hello to My Little Friend

TexRiv_63

After swearing off prewar cars a number of years ago this one has brought me back. It is a 1934 Chevrolet DC Standard 3-window coupe and I received it this past Tuesday. It is an 85 year old, 95% original car. The story is that the previous owner bought it in 1992 to chop up for a hotrod but it was in such good shape he decided to leave it stock appearing. What he did do is interesting - he rebuilt all the mechanical systems, engine, transmission, brakes, suspension, using stock parts but he went out of his way to leave everything visible in original worn condition. He also used some hidden hotrod tricks to update the car, just yesterday I discovered that the headlamps and taillight were converted to full LEDs which are surprisingly bright. I am still looking and inspecting and think I will find more updates. I have replaced the 6 year old battery and replacing the ancient Montgomery Ward Riverside tires will be my first priority. The engine starts easily and runs quietly and in the very little driving I've done the only issue is a very grabby clutch but I am getting used to that. I was pleasantly surprised to see the trunk filled to the brim with spare parts plus a full steering wheel, column and gearbox sitting on the seat! My 63 Olds Starfire is up for sale and in storage and the 34 is sharing the garage with my daily and my 66 Monaco Wagon.

DSCF6691.JPG

DSCF6694.JPG

DSCF6696.JPG

DSCF6700.JPG

20191009_141657.jpg

20191010_121519.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, padgett said:

Patina is in for now but tastes change daily.

True. I've owned lots of shiny cars but my 34 Packard got me intrigued with original cars and now I am selling the last shiny car. I do plan to clean and shine the green paint, I will need to do something with all the surface rust but not sure what yet.

1 hour ago, TexRiv_63 said:

True. I've owned lots of shiny cars but my 34 Packard got me intrigued with original cars and now I am selling the last shiny car. I do plan to clean and shine the green paint, I will need to do something with all the surface rust but not sure what yet.

Nice Chev.  I prefer them shiny but there's something to be said for keeping them original.  Save those Monkey Ward Riversides - they may have collectible value.  🤣

1 hour ago, TexRiv_63 said:

1966 Dodge Monaco, also an original car.

DSCF3276.JPG

Also a nice car.  My folks had a 66 Polara 4-door hardtop that color - basically the same as Monaco but not as fancy trim and standard equipment.  It was pretty well optioned though.

• Like 1

Glad you're enjoying it, Don. If you ever grow tired of it, there's a list of about a half-dozen guys with broken hearts that you got to it first. Really a fun little car to zip around in and the previous owner was a talented guy but also a man of few words who is very modest about his talent. I'll put you in touch with him.

He also rebuilt all the gauges. He did try to buff the green paint a bit but he did it by hand since a machine might grab on the bare spots and make a mess. I think a good paintless dent removal guy might be able to fix that dent in the front fender. Or not, it goes with the car. You'll just have to figure out a story for the bullet holes!

Have fun!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

Glad you're enjoying it, Don. If you ever grow tired of it, there's a list of about a half-dozen guys with broken hearts that you got to it first. Really a fun little car to zip around in and the previous owner was a talented guy but also a man of few words who is very modest about his talent. I'll put you in touch with him.

He also rebuilt all the gauges. He did try to buff the green paint a bit but he did it by hand since a machine might grab on the bare spots and make a mess. I think a good paintless dent removal guy might be able to fix that dent in the front fender. Or not, it goes with the car. You'll just have to figure out a story for the bullet holes!

Have fun!

Thanks Matt. At some point I will shine the green paint with a wax only buff like I did with the Packard, probably a one-time-only shot. For now the bullet marks and dents will remain as part of the car's history.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...