What was your best buy at Hershey this year?

Larry Schramm

I was able to pick up a correct speedometer for our ‘27. I found two but the second one had already been opened up and anything worth anything removed and then someone threw what was left over back into it and closed it back up, cracked lens, distorted bezel, and loose odometer reset knob and all!!!! I think they were the only two in the entire place that hadn’t sold yet, I looked at every single vendor site across three days skipping not one vendor and I taught my wife that if a vendor had a glass display cabinet to pay particular attention as it normally has something of value in it, thus something we might be looking for like a speedometer!

I also purchased two online so I am hoping to get a good part and along with Hugh replicate the parts we need to make working speedos!

As far as hershey, We got the Speedo, two Briggs and Stratton Key Blanks for the transmission lock, and visited Bob’s to get plug wires and correct band clamps for the rebuilt water pump we just finished up!

^Happy Camper here!!😂😂😂😂🤘🏼🤘🏼

Ps. Hershey could use a good old fashion wet T-shirt competition!  Who’s with me on starting a petition to start one?  Ok ladies men can participate too but way way way far away from any humans at this show!😂😂😂

I kid kid I kid.... 

• Like 2

Two new old stock front fender side moldings for 1946-48 Super and Roadmaster, one still in the original wrapper with part # on it, and a new torque ball bushing (hard to find and almost all of them need it), $60 for all three. I flew up to Pennsylvania, so I was limited in what I could bring back! Came back with a suitcase full of parts and literature.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

IMG_5658.JPG

• Like 9

Bought this monster for a song but the best part is the seller lives only about 25 miles from me and since he was using it to tether his tent down with l, I offered to let him keep using it and I’d pick it up at his house. 😁

B7F656FC-4E42-4E8A-A1F5-48B118923A7A.jpeg

and he said he has another top and more gauges at home if I was interested. 

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Like 10

2 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

Bought this monster for a song but the best part is the seller lives only about 25 miles from me and since he was using it to tether his tent down with l, I offered to let him keep using it and I’d pick it up at his house. 😁

I have the same machine out in the garage.  Never used it,  but it sure looks cool.  Mine has a scrolling thing on top that gives you the specs of all the distributors up to 1949,  so mine must be from 49 or 50. 

That's funny when I posted the reply it showed the rest of the photo and it appears yours does as well. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I remember using the distributor test machine for an exercise in shop class while in High School and yes it had the rolling chart for specs too.

Sadly, went back to the schools 50th reunion and that very shop class room was transformed to a Wellness / Exercise class room today... 😣

Glad you (and others) are saving this machine in your Buick Gardens Shop! 😎

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I found a trunk lid rear center housing with fluted taillight and "BUICK" name in silver, plus the license plate bracket in really nice shape (minus the rubber gasket) 

Paid $5 and thought I did well because a few years back just the lens with poor paint on the letters was $75 at another vendor-

Will post pic when I empty the truck.

Also got a working manually operated Klaxon horn for $25 

A vintage Snap-On Inch-Pound Torque wrench for $15 in the original box with instructions (and the warranty card)

and 6 very decent full wheel covers for my 1954 Caddy - ($20 for the six of them, not $20 each)

A pair of 55 watt Quartz Iodine driving lights with wiring, relay, and switch in the unopened original case - $5 for daughter's BMW 528e

Metal vintage style tire valve stem caps packaged @ 4 caps / $1

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 8:58 AM, dei said:

I remember using the distributor test machine for an exercise in shop class while in High School and yes it had the rolling chart for specs too.

Sadly, went back to the schools 50th reunion and that very shop class room was transformed to a Wellness / Exercise class room today... 😣

So the room where you did your exercise is now a room for exercises?

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, MrEarl said:

I bet that was fun to load and unload!!!!

A tractor with a front end loader made it easy to unload.

3 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

Looks like a medieval torture device!😯 Would like to see how it works.

It is really easy.  Bead breaker and the 3 clamps to move the split rim inward to remove the tire and then push out with the new tire & tube.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 5:40 AM, MrEarl said:

and he said he has another top and more gauges at home if I was interested. 

That is really going to come in handy sorting out your station wagon. Does it work?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

A tractor with a front end loader made it easy to unload.

It is really easy.  Bead breaker and the 3 clamps to move the split rim inward to remove the tire and then push out with the new tire & tube.

And really easy to make rims EGG-SHAPED-

ask me how I know (from too many years back)

@Marty Roth  Sounds like you got some excellent deals at Hershey.  I have a lot to learn.  But I did get this stuff and didn't break my budget

DSC00268.JPG.54c9289703638e82a173db9ad42f1151.JPG

Yes, that's a Pennsylvania Road map which came in might handy when my cell phone was locked up by Google services and rendered unusable on the Tuesday of the meet. 

Clockwise from the 11:00 position, 

a center cap for the 92 Wagon.  Turns out to be the wrong one. 

2 Oil filters for the GS and Electra at a very favorable price.

A mighty Tonka Dump Truck, practically brand new for the grandsons so they don't have to share the one I already have.

Top radiator hose for the '56  ( new, and not much of a bargain, but I have it now)

Two trunk seals , one for the GS, one for the Electra.  Got a break on two, and they are also new.

Two cans of the R-12 at a decent price but not really a bargain

Behind the R-12 is a pair of the thick original style front wheel bearing grease seals.  Not a bargain but not a killer either.  

3 centers for the faux Buick road wheel hubcaps I salvaged from a Junkyard a few years ago.  Got em for a good price, and they are NOS.

Also got three lightbulbs for the trunk light in the '56, but they turned out to be the incorrect ones/

And two chrome inside door lock buttons.  Thought they would fit the GS but they don't match what's in there.  Close, but no cigar.  May still fit the Electra but haven't checked just yet.

And I picked up a '56 Chevy vent window frame as I thought it may fit the '56. It doesn't, but it was cheap. 

• Like 3