Aircraft Buzzing.

46 woodie

In my 51 years of going to HERSHEY this was the first time the flea market and show area was buzzed by four airplanes trailing smoke. The first was on Thursday and again on Saturday. I don't know who was responsible but they should make it a new tradition!!!!!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It was a treat to see; and see all the cars guys pause to see and hear the flight show. In addition, there were pairs of A-10 Warthogs flying across the park most days. No doubt they are Air National Guard pilots getting their hours; and enjoying a view of us!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

In my 51 years of going to HERSHEY this was the first time the flea market and show area was buzzed by four airplanes trailing smoke. The first was on Thursday and again on Saturday. I don't know who was responsible but they should make it a new tradition!!!!!!!

In the sixties and early seventies when the airport was across Hershey Park Drive, small airplanes would fly over the show field and flea market.  Often they would trail a sign, like "Welcome to Hershey"

• Like 2

There was one Drone that flew over Saturday. I was watching them from where I was parked in Row 10.

Drones and some large RC Planes must be register with the FAA now with specific rules!

The FAA prohibits Drones from flying over events such as ours, and to make matters worse this guy was flying low at the same time and the same air space as a small Cessna type private plane that was making passes and circling . 

On 10/12/2019 at 8:40 PM, 1937hd45 said:

Those four guys need a feature in Antique Automobile, were they in WWII trainers? They need  to know how well received their flyovers were. Bob 

DSCF4201.JPG

Had those been WWII trainers, the sky would have rattled. These planes were relatively silent in comparison.

• Thanks 1

We have an old WWII trainer that flies over our house about once a month.  Fairly loud,  but not crazy as I grew up with a seaplane base in my hometown and giving tourist rides,  they flew out about every 15 minutes to half hour.  Those are loud.   One I know had a big radial in it.  The one around here seems very low horse power and almost sounds like it's going so slow it will fall out of the sky.  Still great to see.  

Someone flew an old Higher HP airplane over a big rod event up here and trailed smoke a few times as well.  Always great to see and like Hershey seems just about everyone stops what they are doing for the show. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

We have an old WWII trainer that flies over our house about once a month.  Fairly loud,  but not crazy as I grew up with a seaplane base in my hometown and giving tourist rides,  they flew out about every 15 minutes to half hour.

your probably aware of this south of your location......Steve

image.thumb.png.3d0b3551a392cf3a6daa6e969c7963e5.png

• Like 1

When the airport was open across from the flea market, (now the main parking area) we always stopped and watched when the bi-planes took off and landed.

I have heard of the aerodome.  My Father in law is an aircraft mechanic and Pilot.  Had his own plane at one time. He talks planes when he comes out so he tells me about all sorts of aviation related stuff.  

The planes that actually cruise by here are from a small private field about 15 miles or so from here.  

• Like 2

Many years ago here in Southern Ohio my parents and I attended the Hamilton Parade car show event in Hamilton, Ohio. My parents served as judges. I distinctly recall one year (about 1970?) when a P-51 Mustang appeared out of nowhere, and spent about 15 minutes making repeated power dives towards and over top of our event. Kids like me who loved WWII warbirds were ecstatic, and the entire crowd simply stopped what they were doing and stared skyward in appreciation. What a SOUND that thing made during those dives! 

I tried snapping photos, but missed most of the time. I'll have to search and see if I can find any pix showing the plane. 

The aerodrome in Rhinebeck is fantastic. There is a show every Saturday and Sunday from June to late October. They just made a replica of the Spirit of St. Louis and fly it almost every weekend. I know some of the pilots, great guys. Lately they have had small car shows with the air shows. There is also a museum of planes in large Quonset huts.  They also have a Fokker Tri-plane. Great place to visit.  John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/18/2019 at 5:04 PM, lump said:

I distinctly recall one year (about 1970?) when a P-51 Mustang appeared out of nowhere, and spent about 15 minutes making repeated power dives towards and over top of our event. Kids like me who loved WWII warbirds were ecstatic, and the entire crowd simply stopped what they were doing and stared skyward in appreciation. What a SOUND that thing made during those dives!

Dad flew on a PBY Catalina during Korea... as a young kid, I guess I didn't really appreciate air planes.  It was years later at a local air show that a PBY flew over us,  making the approach to the air port.... the hair on the back of my neck stood up !

What a sound that was !

Steve

steve's classics 70001.jpg

Edited by STEVE POLLARD (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Talk about noise, take a ride in a B-25! I had the privilege of going up in the B-25, "Miss Barbie" and sadly the "9-0-9", B-17, the bomber that crashed two weeks ago. The B-25 was the loudest by far. Remember, these were war machines and like race cars, there was no effort to restrict power by muffling the exhaust. Interiors had zero insulation so the noise just reverberated throughout the interior.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

"Miss Barbie" and sadly the "9-0-9", B-17, the bomber that crashed two weeks ago.

Yes, a close friend of mine went up in that B-17 a few years ago when they had a air show here at the Dutchess County Airport.....

Steve

10 hours ago, STEVE POLLARD said:

Dad flew on a PBY Catalina during Korea... as a young kid, I guess I didn't really appreciate air planes.  It was years later at a local air show that a PBY flew over us,  making the approach to the air port.... the hair on the back of my neck stood up !

What a sound that was !

Steve

steve's classics 70001.jpg

Just out of curiosity, was the PBY that flew over in for the airshow at Dutchess County Airport circa 1993? If so, it was the first plane I ever set foot in. I went to the show in either 1993 or 1994, tried again in 1996 but couldn't get near it, so went to the Caldor parking lot on Route 9 and watched them flying around. While I do have pictures from the show, sadly I have none of the PBY. 

On 10/18/2019 at 12:38 PM, auburnseeker said:

We have an old WWII trainer that flies over our house about once a month.  Fairly loud,  but not crazy as I grew up with a seaplane base in my hometown and giving tourist rides,  they flew out about every 15 minutes to half hour.  Those are loud.   One I know had a big radial in it.  The one around here seems very low horse power and almost sounds like it's going so slow it will fall out of the sky.  Still great to see.  

Someone flew an old Higher HP airplane over a big rod event up here and trailed smoke a few times as well.  Always great to see and like Hershey seems just about everyone stops what they are doing for the show. 

My photo of that plane. Appears to be a T-6, although my aircraft knowledge is extremely limited.  

20174994-vi.jpg

Edited by Billy Kingsley (see edit history)
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

My photo of that plane. Appears to be a T-6, although my aircraft knowledge is extremely limited.  

20174994-vi.jpg

I don't think that it's a T-6, but it could be a Yokovlev Yak-18 with its landing gear down.  The Yak-18 first flew in 1946, and not many have survived to this day.  There are reportedly only five flyable Yak18s currently in the U.S., so it's a pretty rare airplane.  Thanks for the photograph.

Cheers,

Grog

The stories above remind me of a day nearly 30 years ago when I was working in Cromwell, on the Lake Dunstan landslides. One sunny morning, the office emptied because there was a Merlin engine under power echoing off the hills. A Spitfire was playing aerobatics up the valley, I suppose in practice for the bi-annual Warbirds Over Wanaka at Easter (in even-numbered years). What a sight and sound!

• Like 1

I hate to be a jerk here, but buzzing is a rather harsh term for what I saw at the Hershey show.

After flying in the military for 33 years, some on low level routes approved for flight at 300 feet Above Ground Level (AGL), I would say those guys overflying the show field at least 1,000 feet above the ground was far from BUZZING.

As I recall, the FAA requirements are 500 AGL within a 2,000 ft radius of people in sparsely populated areas and 1,000 AGL in densely populated areas.  Aviators generally think of BUZZING as an illegal maneuver well below the 500 or 1,000 AGL requirements in unapproved airspace.

Edited by Vila (see edit history)

I hate to be a jerk here, but buzzing is a rather harsh term for what I saw at the Hershey show.

After flying in the military for 33 years, some on low level routes approved for flight at 300 feet Above Ground Level (AGL), I would say those guys overflying the show field at least 1,000 feet above the ground was far from BUZZING.

As I recall, the FAA requirements are 500 AGL within a 2,000 ft radius of people in sparsely populated areas and 1,000 AGL in densely populated areas.  Aviators generally think of BUZZING as an illegal maneuver well below the 500 or 1,000 AGL requirements in unapproved airspace.

Edited by Vila (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Vila said:

Sorry that most of us here are not aviators...and especially not military aviators who are up on the exactly-correct jargon. Innocent mistake, no disrespect meant. . But that fabulous P-51 Mustang was diving low enough that we could see every rivet, and as a boy of about 14-15 years old in the mid 1960's, I LOVED it.

I think it might be these guys. New Garden Air Port has an annual AIR SHOW and  their's a connection with a MILITARY AIR MUSEUM  that sends PLANES OUT TO PERFORM at the New garden Airport.  They are close enough for them to fly up from from the South to Hershey.

Edited by Doug Novak
added info (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 5:44 PM, 41 Su8 said:

The aerodrome in Rhinebeck is fantastic. There is a show every Saturday and Sunday from June to late October. They just made a replica of the Spirit of St. Louis and fly it almost every weekend. I know some of the pilots, great guys. Lately they have had small car shows with the air shows. There is also a museum of planes in large Quonset huts.  They also have a Fokker Tri-plane. Great place to visit.  John

Haven't been there in years but it was fantastic then. This is a picture of me in front of a German Albatros waiting to take a ride in the 1929 New Standard Biplane. This was 1990 and my cousin who worked there told me the owner paid astronomical insurance rates so people could get this close to the planes, most airshows are viewed with binoculars. If anyone has the slightest interest in these planes I suggest  seeing them soon before they are regulated out of existence or grounded for good.

Howard Dennis

RhinebeckNY2.jpg

RhinebeckNY4.jpg

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1