Now it has 5017 miles on it

1937hd45

3 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Worlds Best Son In Law put a new chip in his 1990 Corvette when he got home from Hershey, it now has 5017 original miles. It is old enough to show next year isn't it? Bob 

DSCF4345.JPG

That brings back memories.... I almost traded my SS Monte Carlo on a Polo Green '90 ....  I think the sticker price was around $30K ..... Nice looking Vette !

Steve

Been AACA eligible for several years now.

So, the new chip changed the miles on the digital odometer?

So, chip (eprom) failure or ECM failure?

Most of the time people talk about putting a "chip" in a vehicle is to make it go faster. Some say to get better fuel mileage, but they really mean make it go faster!😁

I see no reason to make a 5000 mile Vette go faster, only to remove it's low miles value faster! Fun to drive!!!

Just now, Frank DuVal said:

So, chip (eprom) failure or ECM failure?

Most of the time people talk about putting a "chip" in a vehicle is to make it go faster. Some say to get better fuel mileage, but they really mean make it go faster!😁

I see no reason to make a 5000 mile Vette go faster, only to remove it's low miles value faster! Fun to drive!!!

I'm just repeating what they told me, the old chip was shot and a new one made it run, not looking for an argument. Bob 

Oh, not an argument!😲

I thought the replacement was because of a part failure. I commented on the "chip" to go faster as that is the usual meaning, and I thought this was not the case with this vehicle.

Sounds like an ECM replacement.  I wonder what killed the first one, other than age or a manufacturing defect.  The diesel truck gang seem to enjoy messing with the engine control programs to get more smoke on acceleration.

2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I wish I hadn't  posted this, you parking lot people just can't stop complaining can you?  Family car that will stay in the family that family members will enjoy. Bob 

Parking lot people???? Not sure I follow that description.  Electronics are the blessing or curse of future antique autos.  No more carb rebuilds or new points to make it run.

"Most of the time people" I generally reprogram my cars to run cooler and sometimes turn on the "highway" AFR. Most of the time I'm just looking to make it run better, not add power.

ps '90 Vette would have an ALDL and the program is probably on a 27C256.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

9 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I wish I hadn't  posted this, you parking lot people just can't stop complaining can you? 

Bob, I did not complain. Sure, I poked fun at people who "chip" cars, but that was not directed at you or your son-in-law. 

Posting opens up discussions, just like when car guys are standing next to each other, and sometimes the discussion goes a different direction, make that usually goes in a different direction.😁