'67 Lincoln Continental

I have just recently purchased the above named car, the body is in very good condition while under the hood looks like a disaster area. I am relatively young and this will be my first attempt at a restoration, I was hoping to get some do's and dont's from those of you who have knowledge to share. Thank you. smile.gif

Dear Froggie,Buy a cheap camera and keep it at the garage.Take as many photos as you can,it really helps when you want to put it back together.Keep a spiral bound notebook,good notes during dis-assembly are priceless.Depending on how far you are going to go,it is going to take some time,be patient,try to picture in your mind the finished product,stay focused,there will be times when you wonder if you will ever be done.Stay focused and you will get through it and remember it is supposed to be FUN.diz. tongue.giftongue.gif

Well Froggie - welcome to the hobby. Hopefully you have a place to work on the car and store it other than under the shade tree. You must first decide what you want to end up with, show or driver and how much you have in your budget to spend. You should also know what the various levels of restoration work will end up being valued at so you don't put so much into the car that you will never get back out. Get hold of a copy of Hemmings Motor News and look for parts dealers to get an idea of how available the parts will be. You can check in HMN as to what comparable cars are selling for. Also decide if you will be doing the work or will you be looking to farm some of it out (labor costs a lot more than do-it yourself).

Hope that gets you started

Thank you for helping preserve these beautiful old cars. I found the folks at www.lincolnlandinc.com to be very helpful on my '62 Continental project(430 c.i. V8). Try your local parts house first, then check with Lincoln Land if the part isn't available locally. I struggled with starting for a long time before going to a 780 CCA battery and an electric fuel pump. Of course the electric fuel pump detracts from the originality, but drivability was more important to me. It is important to get the right pump, as too much pressure in the fuel line could result in a fire. Someone on this forum suggested I use Lexol for the leather, and I have been very happy with the results. Your can get it mail-order, but you save the shipping if you get it from a saddle or leather goods store in your area. Please check your wheel bearings. If they loose their seal under pressure, you have no brakes. Welcome to the hobby, and please keep us posted.

I just restored the under-hood stuff on a '64 Lincoln convertible. You could just work on what's needed, or take my approach and go through everything at once. My engine was OK (I rebuilt it 100,000 miles back), but to freshen it up I replaced the oil pump (which improved the oil pressure significantly), and replaced the timing chain and gears and all relevant gaskets. Also milled the exhaust manifolds and replaced the gaskets, installed new carb, alternator, regulator, fuel pump, water pump (and block diverters), fan clutch, belts, hoses, filters, master cylinder and booster, and insulation on the hood. Boiled out the radiator and replaced the thermostat. Plus I painted the engine and accessories, and installed new stainless or cadium nuts and bolts where I could. Also replaced the transmission front and rear seals and pan gasket. Overall the car now looks brand new under the hood and performs well. Total cost was about $2,500. The objective was to restore both performance and appearance, eliminate leaks and ward off future trouble. Your approach will depend on whether the engine runs at all, how it sounds, whether it smokes, etc.

There are several excellent suppliers of Lincoln parts. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me at jbartlett1@houston.rr.com

Froggie

Dizzy Dale has a great idea with the camera. I decided to go digital and avoid the cost of film. I am able to download over 100 pictures that I took of Senior cars at Hershey and blow them up to see the RIGHT way to put my T-bird back together - not the way that it was when I took the notes taking it apart - and for me that was significantly different.

By the way - I think this string is what the DF is all about!

Froggie: Your engine was made to run on leaded "Ethyl" gas. Since this is no longer available, you may want to look into hardened valve seats. At a minimum, I suggest you buy the highest octane available at the pump, and add an octane booster to your gas. This subject has been covered in depth in some earlier threads.