Sign in to follow this  
Pops0807

Changing tire on 1927 Buick

Recommended Posts

Is there a easy way to change the tire on a 1927 Buick. For example I have put tire on rim but can't get the two ends to meet back up. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks 

20191012_080707.jpg

20191012_080654.jpg

20191012_080805.jpg

Edited by Pops0807
Pictures, i have another tool handle broke on this one (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may need a rim spreading tool.  Look under the front seat to see if there is one. Your owner's manual should have pictures/instructions how to do so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Pops0807 said:

Thank you, i have the tool but cant get it to spread all the way.

What does your tool look like ? Is it for the wrong diameter wheel ? 

 

As a sidenote:  If you do not do this very often, look for stickers in tire casing, on tubes and flaps too (stickers are BAD), and then baby powder all the casings, tube and flap (for tubes & flaps I put baby powder in a trash bag and add part - then shake).  The purpose of the powder is to let the tube move in the casing - not stick.  Also, cannot have wrinkles in tube upon install. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you don't have a rim tool as show below, you can use  2 X 4 wood pieces and a jack to spread the rim so the ends meet.

 

 

Rim Tool.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pops0807 said:

Is there a easy way to change the tire on a 1927 Buick. For example I have put tire on rim but can't get the two ends to meet back up. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks 

You have posted three pictures.  The first two are rims for "Jaxon" wheels.  The third picture shows the proper tool to use for this make of wheel.

All of a sudden people are asking what type of rim do you have and a posting pictures of the type often used on WPH vehicles.

Are the first pictures yours, including the rim tool.  If so then make sure to use the orientation illustrated in the Hercules pamphlet.  The correct application of pressure is vital.

The longer you leave the rim unexpanded the harder it becomes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tinindian said:

You have posted three pictures.  The first two are rims for "Jaxon" wheels.  The third picture shows the proper tool to use for this make of wheel.

All of a sudden people are asking what type of rim do you have and a posting pictures of the type often used on WPH vehicles.

Are the first pictures yours, including the rim tool.  If so then make sure to use the orientation illustrated in the Hercules pamphlet.  The correct application of pressure is vital.

The longer you leave the rim unexpanded the harder it becomes.

I posted photos of the rims I have to compare since Pops8087 did not originally post photos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, keiser31 said:

I posted photos of the rims I have to compare since Pops8087 did not originally post photos.

It sure is easier to help someone when they either know what they really have or post a picture.  Not everyone would know what years Buick used Jaxon wheels, just as I don't know the make of your wheels or what years WPC used them.

Another point is any lubricant he used originally will have evaporated or dried out so the last inch will be real hard to expand.  He should re-lubricate the sides of the rim.  I used a 2x4 and a bottle jack for 30 years (300,000 miles before I splurged and bought a proper rim jack.  It sure makes it easier, especially if you have a diagram to show the orientation of the arms.  Get it wrong and it is much harder if not impossible or else you bend or break the valve stem.

 

With practice once the car is jacked up you can remove the rim then the tire, tube and flap and replace them and have the rim back on the wheel in 15 minutes.

 

Pops8087 I wish you good luck.

Edited by Tinindian (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this