Motometer

I do not  think there was any particular Motor Meter for trucks . The smaller ones for smaller cars and larger ones for trucks and large cars. The Rad caps  size dictated which Motor meter is appropriate. Check with Cindy Myers for sizes. Most radiators were about the same size for small trucks and larger size cars. BE CAREFUL. THERE ARE VENDORS WHO ARE SELLING OEM STUFF THAT DO NOT WORKF FOR EXHORBITANT PRICES. For 5 or 10 dollars more you can buy a reproduction with any type of Logo that will work and no body will know the difference.

6 hours ago, Mike "Hubbie" Stearns said:

Does anyone know what diameter a truck/tractor motometer is?  I've not been able to find anyone or info on the truck size. I do know the senior is 3 3/8" diameter. Also does anyone have a lead on one for a truck?  I have found lots of the seniors, just not the truck size. Thanks mike

Not sure about truck usage but there are two versions of the 3 3/8" wide standard model, there is a more rare version that is thicker in the body and has a larger threaded stem. I have seen one of those for a Seagrave fire truck, but not sure if there is a connection.

moto1647.JPG

8 hours ago, Mike "Hubbie" Stearns said:

Does anyone know what diameter a truck/tractor motometer is?  I've not been able to find anyone or info on the truck size. I do know the senior is 3 3/8" diameter. Also does anyone have a lead on one for a truck?  I have found lots of the seniors, just not the truck size. Thanks mike

Here you go!  From my 1921 MotoMeter catalog

45413ACE-E90C-49A0-9334-40CC6E6036EB.jpeg

10 hours ago, Terry Wiegand said:

I think that I remember reading somewhere that there were at least three different sizes of Moto-Meters.  There was the Midget Model, a Junior Model, and a Standard Model.  Since TerryB has the catalog, I hope that he can confirm or correct me on this.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Catalog pics posted.  There are several models including some auto brand specific.

Would the "DISTANCE (DASHBOARD) TYPE" be more accurate as the tube is immersed in the coolant.  I have always wondered ho accurate the radiator cap ones are as the bulb is measuring the temperature of the air above the coolant, not the coolant itself.  Or are these rad mounted ones more a  "look pretty" accessory than an actual accurade guage???

They aren't just a " look pretty". They are guite functional. They really filled a void. Think about it, the cooling systems back then used water or water and alcohol. They were open loop systems and would evaporate while just sitting as well as while being driven and would need to be filled back up when low. Depending on weather, tempture, and driving conditions determines evaporation rare. It gives the driver a heads up on engine temp. I think they were accurate in the top of the radiator as that is the top of the system. 

I've found original Moto-Meters to be more accurate then the repop ones.  Unfortunately, working ones in decent condition are getting harder to find.  I have been able to only restore 50%

of the original Moto-Meters that I have acquired.  The biggest problem is finding a meter with its glass thermometer red indicating fluid not dried out.  Or most likely the meter has been on its

side for a lengthy amount of time.  And the red fluid has migrated to the top of the glass tube and does not want to come down.  I've been told the red indicator fluid is both mercury and/or 

alcohol.  The pic is of an NOS Ford Model-A script Junior Moto-Meter and its box.

Capt. Harley 😉

51546778_Moto-MeterJuniorFORD.thumb.jpg.1e7fd5d8af917b2b4bb780cf76d2e4c2.jpg

That's a great reference Terry, thanks for posting it.  I found a nice Cadillac 8 motormeter in the swap meet on Thursday afternoon.  Although I don't really consider myself a collector, I do have a showcase with accessory radiator caps, and several NOS motometers in their original boxes displayed in my recreated old auto parts store.

Terry

Motometers 4 resized.jpg

Motometers 3 resized.jpg

Motometers 2 resized.jpg

• Like 2

Some nice stuff you have there Terry B !

Anyone wondering how reliable or accurate a Motometer is sitting above the water, should try putting their hand into the blow of a whistling tea kettle! On the other hand, no, DON"T! Burns happen VERY fast! The point is that the air above the water,in an enclosed environment will be a very predictable temperature only a few degrees below that of the water itself. And the hotter the water gets, the more precise they become.

13 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Anyone wondering how reliable or accurate a Motometer is sitting above the water, should try putting their hand into the blow of a whistling tea kettle! On the other hand, no, DON"T! Burns happen VERY fast! The point is that the air above the water,in an enclosed environment will be a very predictable temperature only a few degrees below that of the water itself. And the hotter the water gets, the more precise they become.

Thank you wayne sheldon.