Newbie Here with 1932 Plymouth Questions

Tmirisola

Hi 🙂

I am a newbie to the Street Rod world. I have been a Corvette & Muscle Car Fan for many years. I picked up this 1932 Plymouth and know very little about the car. I live in the Boston Area and attend many Car Shows and Meets through out the summer months.

Besides the small cosmetic things on my car, I would like to learn more about the Front End, Suspension & Brakes. One of the first things I would like to do is Change the Original Drum Brakes to Disc's. I've searched all over the internet and have not found a conversion kit for this car. Can anybody head me in the right direction please??

I would also like to upgrade the Front End and suspension. What are some of the common things that are done to upgrade/modernize the systems.

I have a million questions and I'm looking forward to my new project. I attached a picture of the car as it stands now. Any opinions and questions are welcome. I'd like to make some friends on forum and hopefully meet at future AACA Events.

Thank You in advance

Tom

69246235_10217014906579434_2633572168067186688_n.jpg

Looks like you have a real project there. It will take a lot of work to bring it back to stock. Best place to start is with a parts manual. There are reprints available from a few vendors or on eBay. Look in the Plymouth forum for parts, you may want to look for a parts car because of the amount of parts missing and the the frame has probably been modified. Good luck.

It believe he is wanting to go further with the modifications rather than go back original.  Most of us here are not familiar with trying to modify cars as we are dedicated to keeping things stock as much as possible. But I do hope someone here will have a few ideas on helping him with his project as he sees it. Looks like a very nice ride. 

• Like 1

The question is 'Do you want to bring it back to original or continue with modification ? " It will help the guys on this thread make some contributions one way or the other. The majority of the guys on this blog are dedicated to keeping original.  

Barney Fife to Andy," Dang Andy, I don't know what happened. The pistol just went off and shot me in the foot." 😀😜

As stated most of us here are purist's and are dedicated to keep them as they came out of the factory door. Best to go to the HAMB and join up with them if your intent is to further modify it. You will get more mileage over there.  

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but his forum is the wrong place to ask because this is a antique group dedicated to

back to stock original restorations.  However you will find a street rod forum that will tell you to replace your front end suspension & brakes with a Mustang II type front end.  They make a reproduction Mustang II unit that has suspension steering and disc brakes all figured out.  Even has a power rack & pinion set up with over the counter parts.

Good luck with your project, looks interesting.

• Like 1

Most rodders don't like the MII with those open front fenders as the MII has the R&P in front of the crossmember.

There are many suppliers that have that set up for sale if you don't care if the rack can be easily seen.

However, an out fit called Fat Man uses a R&P from a Cavalier that is a rear steer.

Not sure if this is available in power steering as I have only installed one of these and the owner supplied the kit and it was manual steering.

Fat Man uses Granada brakes (easy enough to find) but they supply a custom bushing that marries the Ford hubs to what ever spindles that they use (It escapes my right now what that is but are more modern bolt ons).

Before you make the front end decision make sure that there is an oil pan available that will accommodate your choice.

Easy Peasy…..

A guy that knows what he is doing can knock that out in a few weeks.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If you look at the pic's of my car I've noticed the Radiator Shroud is different than the original. Or, is my 32 right??? I also added a picture of the rear and noticed my Gas Fill cap is in a different location than original pictures I've seen. Any advice?

The Hood is not original to the car. I am looking for a 32 Hood and Side Louvers for my car. Either original or aftermarket steel or fiberglass. Any advice? 

Does anybody have pictures of a Stock 32 Front Steering/Front Suspension/Wheels Pins and Spindles/Brake assembly? I would like to compare it to my 32 to see what has been upgraded & what is original. Power Brakes have been added but, the 4 wheels still have Drums. I'd like to change them to Discs if at all possible. Power Steering has also been added. 

What Model is this car???? Does anybody know the 32 Production numbers? 

Your help is appreciated 🙂

Tom M

71062175_10217014908619485_1341962329771737088_n.jpg

71397791_10217014906899442_774184738620440576_n.jpg

As you've already found, this forum is not kind to modified cars.  You won't find much love on the HAMB either.  They're into "traditional" hot rods, meaning pre-1970 style (whatever that is).  Ask Mr Google about "street rod forums" or "hot rod forums" - he should find several for you.

The radiator shell looks original, although it would have been bright-plated.  The  top panel with the pin striping was added, probably to conceal the space above the radiator because it's shorter than original.  I suspect the gas tank has been relocated to the trunk, hence the different gas cap location - a common modification.  The "half-hood" also is common to show off the engine or because the louver sides won't fit due to some engine component (alternator, AC compressor, etc) sticking out.  But I'm with you, full hood...or none.  😁  Anyway, Rootlieb makes hoods - http://www.rootlieb.com/  The 32 Plymouth is model PB with 81,014 total production.  Business (trunk) Coupe production was 11,126 and Rumble Seat Coupe was 8,159.

Are you sure the front brakes are original?  Since the engine and presumably transmission has been changed, I'd guess the rear end also has been.  Given that and that the car has power steering, I'd also guess the front end has been changed.  Why do you want disc brakes?  Yes, they're superior to drums but, if the car stops OK, why go to the trouble and expense to fix what ain't broke?  Anyway, front end modification usually involves replacing the frame cross-member with one designed to use Mustang II style components - steering rack, control arms, spindles, brakes, etc.  Quite a few companies make kits but not all do for MoPars - Fat Man Fabrication is one (http://www.fatmanfab.com/).  Anyway, you need to identify what's on the car before you can figure out what you need.

I go both ways, original and hot rod, and I think you have a very nice car.  It has Florida license - where are you?  (For security, don't post your address, just city or general area.)

• Like 1

This thread illustrates the problems with a modified antique car (Resto-Rod).  If you don't know what later model parts were used, it's very hard

to know how to fix the new modification to blend with the original modifier's  choice.   Like my Mustang II front end has aftermarket spindels to

accomadate 11" GM Disc brakes to replace the 9" ones that came with the original Mustang II front end.   In hind sight I should have began with

the FatMan setup because the rebuild and modification cost as much or maore than the FatMan one.

I have a list of all the modification parts used on my car and it will go with the car at my estate sale.

1163832223_1935@NSRA.thumb.jpg.61b41851886ac7b7cde757e8d6021ee2.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

This thread illustrates the problems with a modified antique car (Resto-Rod).  If you don't know what later model parts were used, it's very hard

to know how to fix the new modification to blend with the original modifier's  choice.   Like my Mustang II front end has aftermarket spindels to

accomadate 11" GM Disc brakes to replace the 9" ones that came with the original Mustang II front end.   In hind sight I should have began with

the FatMan setup because the rebuild and modification cost as much or maore than the FatMan one.

I have a list of all the modification parts used on my car and it will go with the car at my estate sale.

1163832223_1935@NSRA.thumb.jpg.61b41851886ac7b7cde757e8d6021ee2.jpg

^THIS^

The same goes for an original car.  You even need the information to know what maintenance parts to use, much less to further modify.  Whether buying or selling a car, a "build book" is worth a premium.

Nice Buick, BTW.

• Like 1

Thank You CHuDWah

I will never be offended by any forum posters. I've owned and own now many cars for pleasure and fun. The object is to share and learn on any forum. I would never dis another car owner new or old. Not my style. IMO all cars are to be appreciated.

Yes I have noticed the Radiator Shell has been modified. By how much I do not know and I am learning. Yes the Gas Tank has been relocated behind the seat area. A flip up Gas Cap was installed. Pretty cool. The half hood was custom made by the builder. I was more curious than anything about the Louvered sides and do like the look of a full hood. I may have sides manufactured in the future. Thank you for the production numbers. Being a multiple Corvette owner production numbers are important to us.

Thank You for the links. I will surely look in to them and weigh what my options are.

No, I am not sure is if the Drum Brakes are OE. The car brakes have been upgraded to PB. Also the Power Steering has been installed. I don't have any pictures to go by and compare to see if they are original or not. One of the reasons I am here on the AACA Forum. 

The car is a recent buy and have not figured out what I have to or want to do to the car. It is pretty show worthy as it stands now. 

I live part time in-between Sarasota & Ft Myers Florida. When the temperature is above 60 degrees I head up to Boston where I also have a home. The car is in FL as we speak and I am in Boston. I will not be heading south until Mid November. So, taking dimensions or additional pictures will have to wait.

I have attended and competed every year in March at the Venice Florida AACA Annual Car Show in Venice Center. I have a lot of friends who are AACA members down there. I even won a Trophy one year with one of my Vettes in my class. I attached a pic of my winning Vette at the show.

Thank you so much for your time and patience 🙂

Tom M

Venice Center AACA.JPG

I see by the first photo of your car that the usual hood profile has been shortened and squared off by the look of the cowl band. If you need hood side to work with, I have this Chrysler product hood, possibly for a Plymouth. It is available. Just give me the dimensions of the openings and we can compare.

IMG_6111 (2).JPG

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I've owned/restored original cars and hot rods but I'm currently old-car-less - too old and fat to get down and crawl under them.  Getting down is easy...it's the getting back up that's the problem.  🤣  Anyway, I downsized when we retired to Flaw-duh.  But I still look and dream, so who knows what might follow me home someday?  I got burnt out on showing cars - nothing against shows, I just enjoyed driving more.  But I still like going to shows as a spectator - maybe I'll get a chance to see your car in person at one of them.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

The original hood would have matched the angle of the cowl....

It looks like the firewall has been replaced with a shiny one.  In his most recent post, he said the half-hood was custom made.  But it looks like the cowl angle is intact, so an original hood might fit.

1 minute ago, CHuDWah said:

It looks like the firewall has been replaced with a shiny one.  In his most recent post, he said the half-hood was custom made.  But it looks like the cowl angle is intact, so an original hood might fit.

That non-original cowl band is a good ending place for the hood.

3 hours ago, keiser31 said:

I see by the first photo of your car that the usual hood profile has been shortened and squared off by the look of the cowl band. If you need hood side to work with, I have this Chrysler product hood, possibly for a Plymouth. It is available. Just give me the dimensions of the openings and we can compare.

IMG_6111 (2).JPG

Thank You 🙂  I am not near the car right now and will ne be able to measure the Hood Opening until Mid November

Tom M

3 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

I've owned/restored original cars and hot rods but I'm currently old-car-less - too old and fat to get down and crawl under them.  Getting down is easy...it's the getting back up that's the problem.  🤣  Anyway, I downsized when we retired to Flaw-duh.  But I still look and dream, so who knows what might follow me home someday?  I got burnt out on showing cars - nothing against shows, I just enjoyed driving more.  But I still like going to shows as a spectator - maybe I'll get a chance to see your car in person at one of them.

I will keep you posted what shows I will be at this winter. PM Sent 🙂