leomara

Golf Cart and Other Types of Hershey Flea Market Traffic

If they do not enforce the rules,why have them.I agree any disability should have a cart

• Like 1

How about a no golf cart rule, like between 11am and 2pm?  Or make motorized traffic one way only in each of the rows.  Small mobility scooters would be ok at any time.

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)

It’s not all bad news. On Friday, an elderly man passed by my vendor space. He was pushing his walker and obviously struggling a bit. But he was going to shop the swap meet field just like he has for Lord knows how many years. Yes, try to limit the proliferation of motorized vehicles; but always remember that many of us have compromised mobility. 

Edited by greenie (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The golf carts are the problem, not the mobility scooters. The scooters are small and slow, the golf carts on the the other hand are not. I witnessed several close calls, the worst being at the pedestrian bridge. To add a little perspective to the size of the swap meet, I walked about 1/3 of it in 22,000 steps covering 10.8 miles. So I have no doubt that there are a lot of members who would need some assistance to cover that distance. 

23 hours ago, kfle said:

Sometimes I worry that people in this hobby want to keep things the way they always were and not wanting to adapt to the modern world.  If we don't adapt with modern times and how things work in today's world, then we just chase people away and events like this continue to shrink.  Another great example of this is 95% of vendors take cash only.  I don't know many people under the age of 30 that actually carry any cash.  I am in my 40's and don't carry cash and it was a pain in the ass to go get actual cash at the bank in preparation to attend Hershey.  The other thing that was very absurd was that no vendor actually had a sign that said what aisle and space number they were at and the stickers on the pavement were all worn down by Wednesday.  I wasted probably over 1 hour a day or more trying to find a booth based on the program book.  For example I wanted to find a vendor who was selling door handles.  It gives a code like C3H in the program but then there are no signs that mark the aisles or the vendor spaces.  Yes you can try and use the big numbers on the light posts, but that gets you an approximation.  This seems like such a simple thing to do and would make the experience so much simpler and effective.  

Overall our first Hershey event was great and very enjoyable, though I see lots of ways this event will need to adapt if it wants to get the younger crowd joining in.  

CASH is a problem? What were you expecting Joe Average to accept as payment? Every light pole has a number and they are on the Hershey Directory map. This was my 50th happy Hershey meet, I survived, sold and bought parts all without owning a cell phone, Bob the Happy Dinosaur

• Like 2

On Thursday, we were entering the car corral and I actually witnessed a security guard not let an elderly gentleman, driving a Rascal scoter, away from entering because he told him that he didn't have the proper documents. As he turned and started to leave another guy ran up to him and gave him directions to the other entrance. I guess he was allowed in because I ran into him in the corral. The grounds were full of bicycles, tricycles, electric scooters etc. You're right, the golf carts are the biggest p.i.a.s.

• Like 1

You have a warped view of our hobby, consider stamp collecting. Bob ( Looks like the post I replied to has been Removed)

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My brother got hit by a cart in the chocolate field then in the next row as they were going in opposite directions met in the next row and he almost hit him again. My brother had a few unkind words to say to him as he got out of the way the second time.

Agree, golf carts are a problem at Hershey and other events but often I accompany someone with bad knees who can't tolerate walking long distances.  Recently he's taken to renting a mobility scooter otherwise he'd miss most of the swap meet.  Some people may or may not notice that some 80 year olds get around easier than my younger-than-60-year-old friend but he definitely has a walking problem. 

On another but somewhat similar topic, the LAST time I went to Carlisle (yes I realize not an AACA event but rather a private enterprise) was about 15 years ago.  While waiting for my friend, standing on the side of an aisle but evidently not far enough over for the CAR driving through the swap meet in the middle of the day, the driver purposely ran into me.  Yes, really.  He wasn't going very fast but he did use his car to push me out of the way.  I was standing there holding onto lots of stuff that 2 people who wandered a swap meet all day had managed to acquire. 

He really hit me, on purpose.  WTH?!?!?!?  Then as he drove past, he spewed some malarkey about how I needed to get out of the way faster.  And yes, at the time, cars were not permitted in the swap meet during the day but that did not deter him and other persons from driving cars through the swap meet to see what was for sale.  I got his license number and reported him to Security but as far as I know, nothing was done.  We watched as he continued his way up and down the aisles. 

Disclaimer:  Love seeing the very vintage stuff moving around in the swap; its an integral part of the Hershey experience we crave every October.  Always see them being operated safely and courteously - a distinct difference from my experience mentioned above @ Carlise. 

Some of these stories are just affirmation that we've gone from the "us" world that America had for about a week 9/11, to the current "me" world we live in.  Rudeness abounds, drive the speed limit and hear the honks and see the waves (not using all the fingers), get in someone's way at Walmart and enjoy the conversation, and so forth.

Hard to think someone would say it's a pain to go to bank to get cash, but that's a young mentality.

I fully support mobility devices, used by the deserving and driven politely.  Golf carts are carrying able bodied people for the most part, and can hurt you.  I saw bicycles, official told one guy to get off and walk it, guy did, for about twenty feet, than back up on it.

Another sign of the society we now live in, rules aren't meant for "me", they're meant for the rube that follows them.  Sad.....

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, trimacar said:

rules aren't meant for "me", they're meant for the rube that follows them.  Sad.....

But we are all smarter than the "rubes", so its ok right?

4 hours ago, JACK M said:

But we are all smarter than the "rubes", so its ok right?

Well, I am a rube.  As I get older, I follow the rules of the road closer, because I don't want to have lived such a great life and end up a highway statistic. I look both ways on green lights, drive slower than a lot of people, and am constantly checking mirrors and on ramps and other lanes for fools, or as the song goes, gunners, who think anyone in their way is a fool...ever been passed on the right, while being in the right lane, at an exit?  I don't give a flying flip if he endangers his own life, but when it comes to endangering me and my family, I get really pissed.

I had a fellow tailgate me, and he was so mad he followed me into my subdivision.  There's a T where I could make a U-turn, did so, stopped him and said what's the problem?  He said you're impeding my progress, you're breaking the law.  I said I was going speed limit.  He said I don't care, I wanted to go faster and you were in my way , I should call the cops.  Please do, I begged.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, trimacar said:

I look both ways on green lights, drive slower than a lot of people, and am constantly checking mirrors

Around here, with a green light, you have to wait for the intersection to be cleared before proceeding .... it's like a choo choo train effect... they are running the red light and they are bumper to bumper while they are doing it - unbelievable !

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With the exception of getting out to go to a food stand, what do the golf cart people do? Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

Its amazing these carts can get around the long camping trailers and extended 4 door trucks that line up bumper to bumper marking their territory. Last time I went the Chocolate Field was a solid wall of them. I guess that's why I wrote "last time". The clustering walls of campers seem very uninviting and territorial to a guy who walks over from the motel, searches for an opening in that tacky white plastic fence, and then finds there way blocked at every turn.

Hershey, big black campers and red 4 door trucks. Oh, and the generators.

Good drivers park the trailers tight to provide as much open space to display parts. My Fujifilm camera is 4 inches wide and wouldn't fit between these two. Bob  

DSCF4223.JPG

Just because a person is disabled does not give them the right to drive their vehicle recklessly,  and I have been wondering what disability specifically requires a person to ride a bicycle for mobility? or a mini bike? Anyone know? I fully agree with the ADA laws and their purpose, but that should not exempt anyone from operating the equipment their physician prescribes them to use in an unsafe manner. if a person has a handicapped hang tag on their car does that allow them to drive above the speed? or park where they want?  

The end of events like this is going happen and and it will be due to be someone getting severely hurt with a massive lawsuit to all the parties involved. This has to be regulated and controlled before someone really gets hurt

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

No matter what you do, people will game the system. This is why we can't have nice things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Issues of golf carts and mobility devices are a problem we have and continue to have .  Mixing them up with pedestrians at an event size of "Hershey" is a challenge.  My year old trailer was damaged by a golf cart this year and the repair will not be cheap.  So far, I have not heard of any injuries thank god.  The discussion on how to make this event safer for everyone will continue , as we all recognize the issue but it is complex. 

As an amputee and paraplegic I still have no idea about the ins and outs of the ADA.  No book or rules were given to me when I became disabled.  All I know is some things are helpful for parking spots and door width.  

18 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

No matter what you do, people will game the system. This is why we can't have nice things.

Its really a shame, but you are 100% correct.  i personally don't really care one way or the other if a person is handicapped or not using a cart of a scooter, but they must be respectful and careful and there must be some rules and when there are those rules must be enforced.

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

You are correct Matt and John, people always try to find a way to beat the system and if you use courtesy and respect for rules it will benefit everyone.  Every day I run into goofy stuff like stores that place merchandise in the isles and I get stuck in my push wheelchair to find a way around them or back up all the way where I started from.  Frustrating when trying to buy cloths or any other item where getting to them is impossible.  Parking can be fun, some older parking lots have the handicap spots on hills, another fun challenge in a push it yourself chair.  New parking does not.  Sometimes it’s frustrating and laughing is the only cure.

The assumptions made about ADA rules always interest me.  I think some people make up their own rules and others make assumptions that are not correct.  My employer dismissed me when I became disabled, said I could no longer do the job I was hired to do. Fair?  I don’t know know and justifiable under ADA, again I did not investigate as the job was not that wonderful.  

Still, a little respect goes both ways.  If Hershey had closer handicapped parking and special van spots I would try going again.  The macadam is easy to push on.  The grass show field is out, too hard to push.  No power scooter for me as my level of disability would require a special scooter at $15k or more.  Paraplegic screws with blood flow to the lower body and skin breakdown is a danger when bouncing along on a basic scooter.  

Not complaining, just trying to aid in the discussion.

How 'bout the fellow who felt the need to drive his pickup donning full Donald Trump regalia replete with dual flags through all the rows earlier in the week? ….admirable display of patriotism but probably a little unnecessary.

• Thanks 1