Golf Cart and Other Types of Hershey Flea Market Traffic

leomara

Its amazing these carts can get around the long camping trailers and extended 4 door trucks that line up bumper to bumper marking their territory. Last time I went the Chocolate Field was a solid wall of them. I guess that's why I wrote "last time". The clustering walls of campers seem very uninviting and territorial to a guy who walks over from the motel, searches for an opening in that tacky white plastic fence, and then finds there way blocked at every turn.

Hershey, big black campers and red 4 door trucks. Oh, and the generators.

Just because a person is disabled does not give them the right to drive their vehicle recklessly,  and I have been wondering what disability specifically requires a person to ride a bicycle for mobility? or a mini bike? Anyone know? I fully agree with the ADA laws and their purpose, but that should not exempt anyone from operating the equipment their physician prescribes them to use in an unsafe manner. if a person has a handicapped hang tag on their car does that allow them to drive above the speed? or park where they want?  

The end of events like this is going happen and and it will be due to be someone getting severely hurt with a massive lawsuit to all the parties involved. This has to be regulated and controlled before someone really gets hurt

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Issues of golf carts and mobility devices are a problem we have and continue to have .  Mixing them up with pedestrians at an event size of "Hershey" is a challenge.  My year old trailer was damaged by a golf cart this year and the repair will not be cheap.  So far, I have not heard of any injuries thank god.  The discussion on how to make this event safer for everyone will continue , as we all recognize the issue but it is complex. 

As an amputee and paraplegic I still have no idea about the ins and outs of the ADA.  No book or rules were given to me when I became disabled.  All I know is some things are helpful for parking spots and door width.  

18 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

No matter what you do, people will game the system. This is why we can't have nice things.

Its really a shame, but you are 100% correct.  i personally don't really care one way or the other if a person is handicapped or not using a cart of a scooter, but they must be respectful and careful and there must be some rules and when there are those rules must be enforced.

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

You are correct Matt and John, people always try to find a way to beat the system and if you use courtesy and respect for rules it will benefit everyone.  Every day I run into goofy stuff like stores that place merchandise in the isles and I get stuck in my push wheelchair to find a way around them or back up all the way where I started from.  Frustrating when trying to buy cloths or any other item where getting to them is impossible.  Parking can be fun, some older parking lots have the handicap spots on hills, another fun challenge in a push it yourself chair.  New parking does not.  Sometimes it’s frustrating and laughing is the only cure.

The assumptions made about ADA rules always interest me.  I think some people make up their own rules and others make assumptions that are not correct.  My employer dismissed me when I became disabled, said I could no longer do the job I was hired to do. Fair?  I don’t know know and justifiable under ADA, again I did not investigate as the job was not that wonderful.  

Still, a little respect goes both ways.  If Hershey had closer handicapped parking and special van spots I would try going again.  The macadam is easy to push on.  The grass show field is out, too hard to push.  No power scooter for me as my level of disability would require a special scooter at $15k or more.  Paraplegic screws with blood flow to the lower body and skin breakdown is a danger when bouncing along on a basic scooter.  

Not complaining, just trying to aid in the discussion.

7 minutes ago, md murray said:

How 'bout the fellow who felt the need to drive his pickup donning full Donald Trump regalia replete with dual flags through all the rows earlier in the week? ….admirable display of patriotism but probably a little unnecessary.

That's my laugh for the day. I can imagine the two word conversations as he drove from one end to the other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, md murray said:

How 'bout the fellow who felt the need to drive his pickup donning full Donald Trump regalia replete with dual flags through all the rows earlier in the week? ….admirable display of patriotism but probably a little unnecessary.

Guys like that always remind me of this cartoon:

gary-larsen.png

Also reassuring when idiots self-identify so the rest of us can steer clear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

This topic comes up every year in one form or another and is no different than the disdain we have for Cadillac Escalades (or pick your car) that park at Walmart and the owner gets out and bounds into the store looking perfectly fine.   This is the America we live in.  

I was born without hip sockets and have an artificial left hip and my right one needs replaced.  But, I wear it a bit like a badge of honor, refusing to get a handicapped placard/license plate and struggling at walking events like car shows.  I was at Hershey in 2010 and the walking was tough. My artificial left hip was only 5 years old, my right one was fine. My feet hurt despite decent Rockports.  It is what it is.  

We all want the Super Bowl effect of Hershey, the massive size, but we don't want the inconvenience of walking.   Administration should vet better, even with political correctness and ADA.   Maybe they do but once carts are on the ground, it is a no win battle.   Just wait till one backs into a high dollar car corral car.