HERSHEY PICTURES

STEVE POLLARD

On 10/13/2019 at 2:00 PM, Matt Harwood said:

Log out and log back in and you can keep posting photos.

On 10/13/2019 at 2:04 PM, 1937hd45 said:

Lost my password, I just keep logged in . Sure was a long walk through the lot to get from the Model A Fords to the Race Cars & Trucks. Bob 

I think it may work to just hit "refresh" and not log out. Worth a try, has worked for me in the past.

The blue and silver gray victoria brougham is a 1931 Franklin Airman series 153 and has a Derham body and was built for the New York Automobile Salon ( not auto show, salons were custom bodied cars only and you got to see them by invitation only) after the NY Salon the car went to Chicago for the Chicago salon ( transported by rail - freight train) and the chassis was an L8 designation, by the Franklin Company. That means it was sold as a chassis with no specific body designated . Cost in December of 1930 was $4,800.00 ! It was bought new by Billy Erdell of Allentown, Pa.  who owned the car until he died in 1941. A very nice car to drive , really comfortable, Lots of travel in the front driver"s  seat so if you are tall or shorter there is not problem to adjust it to what suits you. It will drive along very comfortably at 55 mph + all day long , up or down hill . I had the pleasure of being behind the wheel of it many times for many hours.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

AH fond memories of 40+ years ago Paul, thank you. I remember teaching full time 7 classes a day, 1,100 kids ages 5 to 12 a week ( art) and then every Saturday driving for a half hour to 40 minutes to spend the day from about 8 am until about 6 - 7 pm working on my two pre war cars. First the 1941 Packard 120 station wagon body by Hercules, and then the 1931 Franklin after the Packard was fully restored. Every holiday or vacation was spent there in the garage in West Babylon, NY as well to get the job done and the "master" painter that taught me was Bob Patchke. I recall his words " we will do the cars kid, but you will have to put in the time as well right beside me"  half way thru the restorations he said " by the time you are through I will have ruined you, you will never be able to look at another car again without knowing it has had body work and then think how good or bad that work was done."  After all the decades since I am still "ruined".!!!  Bob gave me the biggest compliment ever too, said " if you ever get tired of teaching and want a new career you could become the head guy in any body shop as a painter " This was " back in the day " when lacquer was in use - I do not know how to use  enamel, base coat /clear coat etc.

I still have my hand in painting, and now restore the many ( to many??😉) 1920s pressed steel toy cars and trucks I have acquired over the years. The time honored phrase " older and wiser" does not apply to me . My doctor's in the past two years have told me  " rest" - huh? rest to me means another project to work on, or another subject/topic to research and then write a story about, not sit in a chair or on a couch and watch mindless tv programs . I have to create , or restore something , or recognize someone from the past that did so and never got full credit for their contributions.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...