Junkyard disappointment

70rivme

So Tuesday while making my way to Chicago from New Mexico I thought I would reroute myself to make a visit to a junkyard I have been wanting to check out and see what they have hanging around the yard for my 1970. I walked in and asked about 2nd gen Rivs. The reply was "what do you need?" with an attitude. My reply was asking, "can't I check them out and see what's available and the condition?". I thought all junkyards let you walk the grounds or at least accompany you on the grounds. That has been my experience with the many I have been to. I was told I cannot go onto the lot and I would just have to give them my list. I don't know about most situations but I have never had to approach a junkyard in person with a list. If it is online or a phone call I can understand the list but in person I would expect to be able to see the vehicle. When I walk a yard I usually find more than what I went there for by seeing the vehicle and sometimes I even go without needing anything but end up finding more than I need. Does this sound pretty typical or did I just cross paths with this guy on the wrong day? I had even asked about posi rear ends for my '70 and was told he has not seen a posi in a Riv. That could have been a clue to leave also.

A while back there was a Subaru commercial where the dreamy owner visits his totaled car that now belongs to the insurance company and on its way to the auto parts (junkyard). The guy reaches in and steals the gearshift knob as a souvenir, probably a $30-$50 sale to the auto parts. Showing that kind of pilfering to a few million people nationwide and, apparently showing it is acceptable, isn't going to get the auto parts owner to greet a roamer with open arms.

we always let people roam around, that is part of the fun of visiting a place where many of cars like yours rest in peace. We always tell them it is at your own risk if you get cut, hurt, bitten etc with a witness listening, however they are all enthusiasts so not prone to bite the hand that feeds them their vintage parts!

Appreciate the replies! I can understand the liability thing and a simple waiver could take care of that I would think. I would imagine at the least, the guy could have walked me out to the cars and let me take a gander all the while he was babysitting me. I guess I have just been spoiled by roaming the places that have no worries about liability or that is why I sign a waiver before I have gone in. Too bad there isn't a publication that names junkyards across the country and any rules that might apply. Just a thought.

On 10/13/2019 at 12:18 PM, RivNut said:

He's in the salvage business because he doesn't have to get off his butt.

My Uncle has a junk yard in Florida. He strips more cars, trucks, whatever motor vehicle comes his way. He says he makes more  $ on parts then he does on scrap metal. Uncle has workers use a machine that skins the rubber off electric wire cords for $6. An hour. Uncle said he could do better on copper sales if his help would stay out of the storage lockers. I said at 6$ an hour the worker has to make up it someplace.

Turbinator