M1842

Bleeding Brakes - 55 Special

On 10/11/2019 at 1:15 PM, Frank DuVal said:

The secret to Mighty-Vac success is to seal the bleeder screws so air does not get sucked in. I use (horror, GASP, HORROR, the world will end.....) PTFE tape! Just wrap at the "air" end, one wrap, leaving the first few threads next to the bleed hole IN THE wheel cylinder clear of tape. That way none of the shards of PTFE tape will make their way into the wheel cylinder/brake system, where, yes, things can go wrong.....  Tape on threads, vacuum at end of bleeder, where are the tape shards going? Yes, into the Mighty-Vac or other vacuum source.

Been using a Mighty-Vac to bleed brakes on all sorts of cars for 35 years. Everytime I get the "this isn't working right" feeling, I put tape on the bleed screw (see, I try it dry first!) and all is well.

YMMV

Going to look for my PTFE tape, it's on the work bench..... somewhere.

Edited by M1842
Correct spelling (see edit history)

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Rebuild or replace the master cylinder and then bench bleed it before you install it.

OK, I taped the threads on the bleeder valve and it certainly tightened up the vacuum.  I can build up 8 PSI but nothing comes out the hose, the hose "pops" when I disconnect it.  I think I will go ahead and disconnect the pipe and pressure test that.  Is it possible the bleeder valve is made incorrectly?  I try and test that too.

Mark

Edited by M1842
spelling (see edit history)

31 minutes ago, M1842 said:

Is it possible the bleeder valve is made incorrectly?  

Mark

Probably not as it is not an overly engineered product.  I recommend  the pressure bleeder be put away and the trusted right foot method be employed.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

Probably not as it is not an overly engineered product.  I recommend  the pressure bleeder be put away and the trusted right foot method be employed.  

yes, just checked the valve, no problem there.

These cars come from the factory with residual pressure valves installed since the master cylinder is generally the lowest point in the system. It might be enough to cause a restriction. Check it with your foot to confirm its not a clogged brake line.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:59 PM, Bill Stoneberg said:

I have used a pressure bleeder on my old Buicks for a while and it works well ONCE you find the right adapter so seal the top.

I use my wife to step on the brake pedal when I bleed brakes.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 11:53 PM, Airy Cat said:

My wife, daughter and once my neighbor. 

On 12/20/2019 at 10:53 PM, Airy Cat said:

Don't do this..never, ever...if you want peace in the family.  Never, ever!:o

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Speaking from experience, sir?

Ben

Yep!

• Haha 1

64 yr old car. If original steel brake lines, could be restricted with rust. Preventing the suck pump from working.

• Like 1

I have been redirected to doing inside tasks by SWMBO so have not been able to follow through on all the helpful suggestions on the bleed process.  I did buy a new master cylinder that is still sitting in its box.  It's tempting to go ahead and replace the brake lines as they appear to be original or if replaced it was done several decades ago.

Merry Christmas!

Mark