I think I finally found a fresh one.  Started with a Carquest 85121 and the gasket was crumbling and paper dust came out of the filter.  Bought at Advance auto and maybe that was understandable since Carquest is  a defunct brand.  They got me a Purolator L40124 in a dusty box and paper dust shook out also.  A NAPA filter (1121) seems fine.

I wonder if these filters are even being made fresh?  I am considering "going to the dark side" and converting to a spin-on.  Anyone done this lately?

old-tank:

The NAPA Gold 1121 is what I have used for the past 8 years that I have owned my '55 Century.  I have not had a problem getting them; they always seem to be on the shelf.  I think, but I am not sure, this filter also has a marine application and maybe that is why they are still being produced.  My NAPA guy told me that the NAPA Gold filters are made by Wix.

I know I didn't answer your question but for as often as I have to change my oil filter, I have been happy with the inserts.

Is Wix brand no longer available?  I have been using those for a while - but with a repaint under way, I have not needed a new one in a few years.

I live 20 miles from the local warehouse and the filters were starting to get scarce along with points sets. It was too the point that the warehouse had to special order a distributor rotor before I converted to the late model distributor. Even though NAPA prides itself on keeping cars on the road, the Chevy/ Ford/ Chrysler aftermarket has made a huge dent on the OEM suppliers, or so I was told by the manager. So they're making less in less frequent batches. This alone prompted me to buy a spin on housing from a 59-60 (I believe is the years? I'll have to double check. Same time period for Olds also works) that bolted to my 322 without an adapter. I used a mid size filter because the one that is the replacement for the OEM filter does not have a drain back valve in it and that was something I wanted to keep the oil galleries primed.

After doing the conversion, I would not go back to the original filter housing. This is so much easier, and lighter. I'll miss the fumble of the original, but not enough.

20190121_204756.jpg

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Beemon said:

I live 20 miles from the local warehouse and the filters were starting to get scarce along with points sets. It was too the point that the warehouse had to special order a distributor rotor before I converted to the late model distributor. Even though NAPA prides itself on keeping cars on the road, the Chevy/ Ford/ Chrysler aftermarket has made a huge dent on the OEM suppliers, or so I was told by the manager. So they're making less in less frequent batches. This alone prompted me to buy a spin on housing from a 59-60 (I believe is the years? I'll have to double check. Same time period for Olds also works) that bolted to my 322 without an adapter. I used a mid size filter because the one that is the replacement for the OEM filter does not have a drain back valve in it and that was something I wanted to keep the oil galleries primed.

After doing the conversion, I would not go back to the original filter housing. This is so much easier, and lighter. I'll miss the fumble of the original, but not enough.

20190121_204756.jpg

Thanks Ben.  That may be the only way to go since it seems that canister base conversion is no longer available.  I have also seem some conversions using a later base (401/425?) that attaches with 3 bolts and uses a different gasket.  Do these later filter bases have a bypass valve...not prominent like the canister base?  What filters are used?...are they getting obsolete and rare too?

Hi Willie

I bought this one a few weeks back at Auto zone, it is an STP filter, Made in USA and has the old AC part number P122.

Hope this helps.

Steve

IMG_5064.JPG

IMG_5063.JPG

10 hours ago, old-tank said:

Thanks Ben.  That may be the only way to go since it seems that canister base conversion is no longer available.  I have also seem some conversions using a later base (401/425?) that attaches with 3 bolts and uses a different gasket.  Do these later filter bases have a bypass valve...not prominent like the canister base?  What filters are used?...are they getting obsolete and rare too?

There are three different Nailhead filter housings: Big canister, 3 bolt spin on and later 4 bolt spin on. Pictured above is the 3 bolt spin on housing, which comes with a bypass valve built into it. The oil filter used is still available. Most will spec the 1049 filter, which was special order for me. When I got it, it did not have an anti drain-back valve in it. I then tried a 1258 filter, which does but its a bit shorter. The modern GM oil filter 1522 will also work, its taller than the 1258 by about a quarter inch but its skinnier. Currently I have been running the 1258 filter. The 1258 is also a black painted housing versus the 1049 I got that was white painted... I'm not sure the difference. If the 1258 filter becomes obsolete, the 1522 will be available as long as the LS platform is around. The filter is only $8, too.

If you do this, you need to put the fourth bolt hole in like I did because it's a thru hole. Centerville does sell an adapter for the later 4 bolt spin on housings to work on the earlier Nailheads. 

@FireballV8 I don't think the issue is relatively availability, but more so how long it's sat on the shelf and if whether or not the paper element has broken down into dust fibers.

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)

Admittedly they have gone up in price over the years but I prefer the WIX over Fram which are also available. 

https://www.usafilterstore.com/napa-1121-wix-51121-l-d-oil-filter.html

Also readily available at Rock Auto;

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/buick,1954,century,5.3l+322cid+v8,1320039,engine,oil+filter,5340

By a dozen at a time and you're good to go for a long time.

Edited by 1937-44
added Rock Auto (see edit history)
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Beemon said:

I don't think the issue is relatively availability, but more so how long it's sat on the shelf and if whether or not the paper element has broken down into dust fibers.

A search for oil filter shelf life revealed "opinions" of 2-20 years with some discussion of media, seals, glues and rust and some storage hints (the best would be vacuum food saver bags in the freezer).  I guess the only thing you can do is inspect after buying as needed.

2 hours ago, 1937-44 said:

Also readily available at Rock Auto;

Never buy perishable items like hoses, belts, seals and probably filters from Rock Auto.  Mostly old and crusty junk from long storage in defunct parts stores.  They will issue a quick refund without asking for a return of the items...that should tell you something.  They are a good source of part numbers to search elsewhere. 

• Like 1

I just bought a filter at NAPA for my '60 Electra. I think I have four years on the one in there. I change oil every fall on the old cars. The Buick has 1,100 miles since February and that's typical. I rarely start the engine without driving to full operating temperature and the old oil is clean enough to donate to needy friends. The other cars get 500 or so annually. As long as I keep getting the cars hot enough to drive the moisture out I could get by without a filter if I had to.

Bernie

I have used Hastings as well.  Not had any issues with the filters I have installed.   Used Hastings piston rings in my 264. 

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

1 hour ago, old-tank said:

Never buy perishable items like hoses, belts, seals and probably filters from Rock Auto. 

Quite a strong statement. Could use a modifier, like Never buy OLD perishable items....    I buy gaskets/seals/belts/filters/hoses for cars (antique through 2000) all the time from Rock Auto. Never an issue.

Now, if I did get some rusty/crusty part, then I would complain. Some of the "discontinued" specials (seen in flyer newsletter or by email) have come in very shelf worn, but mostly hard parts, and extremely cheap, so no big deal. Even bought spark plugs for the Willys Knight from them!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, old-tank said:

Never buy perishable items like hoses, belts, seals and probably filters from Rock Auto.

I've bought hoses and fan belts from Rock Auto and never had a problem and they didn't look that old. Not saying it can't happen,  just saying I've never had an issue.

• Like 1

I recently cut open a wix filter and the element did its job and the paper had good integrity.  Its housing is metal, the cork seals compliant.  No issues with them FWIW

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1