Any Idea What Car This Is & Year ???

Rod Dyke

Trying to identify this car by what small data that is given in the attached photo! I'm a genealogist whose relative had this welding shop in Bismarck, North Dakota. So, what can anyone give an idea of the car and year? I'm trying to date this photo and only have the back end of what looks like a possible Woody Wagon (?) ... Note what looks like heavy wood trim and fabric top (?). Any help would be very much appreciated!image.thumb.jpeg.ee18a28b6a1cf780702e64fd19a7979d.jpeg

Yes the car is a woodie station wagon and it is most probably made 1939-1942 era. I looked in 7 woodie books that I have and could not identify the make. It is closest to a '40/'41 Plymouth or a 1941 Oldsmobile woodie. I could not match up all the details for a positive ID. The car has large rectangular rear fenders instead of the more common teardrop shape of the period. Also the shape of the glass is unusual as is the straight rain gutter. This could be a custom bodied car. 

I cannot seem to find any details on any woodie that matches the vehicle in question where the downward curve dies into the vertical timber like that. ALL of the ones I find have a smooth transition of a curve and not that abrupt joint.

pat0107b5-8x10a.jpg292777-ws7-e5.jpg

This patent picture of a 1940 Plymouth is the closest I have found. Mary Ellen's 1940 Plymouth is very close. The horizontal beltline piece goes through the rear post instead of ending at it as in the subject photo. Could the car in the subject photo be early production 1940 Plymouth? Maybe they made running changes in the production year. I like woodies and this question is a real challenge. 

The horizontal wood member at the base of the window is nothing like the profile of the vehicle in question. The closest horizontal member that looks the same is on a Buick, but in the 1950s.