The headlights work on my 1985 Buick Riviera but my tail lights do not work when I turn on the headlights. I think I need a headlight switch. It has a sentinnel on it. Does anyone know where I can get a headlight switch.

Thanks

Welcome to the ROA forum, Leejan.

Someone with some knowledge about your issues should be responding soon.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Leejan said:

The headlights work on my 1985 Buick Riviera but my tail lights do not work when I turn on the headlights. I think I need a headlight switch. It has a sentinnel on it. Does anyone know where I can get a headlight switch.

Thanks

I would believe the head and tail lamps would still be successfully manually controlled by default even with the sentinel circuit failed. This design would prevent law suits.

But I don't have the wiring diagram.

Was your car ever rear ended or water flooded? Was the trunk gutted and re-painted? Were after market speakers installed and someone kicked a wrong wire?

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

My 1994 Impala SS has a Twilight Sentinel and recently started doing the same thing- Sentinel turns them on, no tail lights, turned on manually they all work. I just turn them on, don't drive it much at night. I am thinking about removing the switch and looking it over, not a high priority. Maybe I will pick up a switch just in case.

You aren't alone, anyway.

Bernie

But no one sells a new '85 switch with sentinel option and his tails don't light with manual on.

I would get a regular new switch (as its listed available) and by-pass the sentinel circuit if the tail circuit isn't shorted.

On 10/8/2019 at 3:57 PM, Leejan said:

Thanks

Did you check the tail light fuse?

Tom Mooney

Maybe..... if you are real lucky..... you might see a burned resistor on the circuit board or something like that and repair it. That's what I am hoping for.

When I get around to it.

Could it be a grounding issue?

While a much older vehicle, I've learned that far too many electrical problems involve some kind of grounding issue while working on the '64.  An electrical diagram would be super helpful.  You might be able to disconnect the wiring from the housing with the bulb still attached, and then run a wire from the bulb socket to the body to see if it starts working again.  

What about brake lights and back-up lights, license plate light and side marker lights. Or is it just the tail lights?