Sign in to follow this  
FireballV8

AACA Judging & Engine drive Belts

Hello

I looked through the judging manual, but did not see any specific info on the engine belts. Does anyone have any info on the belts?

Thank You

Steve

17. Batteries, headlights, belts, tires, hoses and clamps may be of modern manufacture, but must be visually of the era of the vehicle and of the type specified by the vehicle manufacturer. Specific brand is not important. Guidelines,  2-17

When you say "specific" are you looking for a list?  That would come from factory documentation. 

So which vehicle...?

I always use a little paint thinner to remove the paint and markings on hoses and belts. Makes a real difference not seeing all those modern names and logos.

• Like 1

I know on belts it doesn't matter what brand but they all have to be the same brand.  Found that out the hard way.

Thank you for the replies. My main concern is regarding the serrated belt versus a standard belt. In the Classic Car Club of America (CCCA) judging the serrated belt is allowed and no deductions are taken as they were available when the cars were new, however the modern marking may be a deduction. As Bill mentioned the markings can be removed. 

This would be on a 1955 Buick. 

Thank you for the help.

Steve

Unless you had documentation for a cogged belt as the type used it would get a deduction under the "type specified" clause I'd think. I'll be interested to see what those with more experience say.

I don't see any reference to belts at all on the CCCA rules or handbook though. I don't have any experience with them so I may be looking in the wrong area.

When did they come out? I know they had toothed timing belts back in the day but I don't know anything about early toothed/cogged v belts and the internet is letting me down in searches.

If the original equipment belt was not a serrated belt, the use of a serrated belt should result in a deduction as an inauthentic part in AACA Judging.

Thank you for the replies. Not sure what would have been correct on the 55 Buick, I looked through literature and nothing is mentioned. 

Anyone know where to look to see when serrated belts were introduced? Also I have looked high and low and cannot find non serrated belts for the 55. Any ideas?

Thank You

CARS offers smooth belts:

http://www.oldbuickparts.com/index.php?cPath=35_62_63

Note from their catalog:

Buick Fan Belts, Power Steering, AC Belts (1.416) Please note that 1953-1960 belts are also offered as 100% authentically correct. They feature a flat un-cogged surface for a smooth and quiet ride, comes with the original GM numbers, stamped right into the belt.

CARS (908) 369-3666

• Like 1