TexRiv_63

1963 Oldsmobile Starfire Coupe

No problem, I wasn't trying to hurt anyone's feelings, it's just that it gets old hearing excuses for not buying and having fun with a car....but in this case sounds like it's the truth and not an excuse, so I apologize....

• Like 1

Nice car, decent price.

Reasons are a one to one communication. That works. Excuses are what one tells a person of authority. I already have a GM 1964 two door hardtop, don't have the space, and have trouble racking up miles on the stuff I have are reason's.

If my wife asked me "Why didn't you buy that car"? And I tell her "You already have two black cars to keep shiny", that's an excuse. And she would say "Excuse me?"

I like the car.

• Thanks 1

This car is still available, thanks to those who posted. I got a few nibbles but nothing serious to this point. I have tried all the free ad venues so next week I will put an ad in Hemmings and see what happens.

More than a month later and this car is still available. I know this is supposed to be a bad time of year to sell a car but not sure I believe that - all I need is one person who really wants this car. Here are a few additional photos.

2.JPG

6.JPG

12.JPG

17.JPG

28.JPG

34.JPG

36.jpg

55a.jpg

55k.jpg

Are the original wheels & hubcaps still with the car?

4 hours ago, 2nevets said:

If this car was closer to New York I would certainly be chasing it man-oh-man I love it

Shipping doesn't really cost that much....

3 hours ago, EmTee said:

Are the original wheels & hubcaps still with the car?

Original wheels, wheelcovers, air cleaner, windshield washer reservoir, owners manual, and window sticker plus a reproduction shop manual are all included, go back to page one of this thread for photos.

90 days is usually the minimum for most cars to sell. Around day 102 or so, for reasons I can't explain, two or three guys start sniffing around and the car sells. I don't know why this is.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 2nevets said:

If this car was closer to New York I would certainly be chasing it man-oh-man I love it

Cheap flight to TX then a nice road trip home is all it takes. Go with a buddy and you’re looking at a 20 hour drive to NY. Just did a 19 hour drive to Florida with the wife. Left MA at 6:00 pm and arrived at the villages at 1:00 pm the next day. Piece of cake with two people.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, chistech said:

Cheap flight to TX then a nice road trip home is all it takes. Go with a buddy and you’re looking at a 20 hour drive to NY. Just did a 19 hour drive to Florida with the wife. Left MA at 6:00 pm and arrived at the villages at 1:00 pm the next day. Piece of cake with two people.

Or --- you could take a short side trip down here to New Orleans to enjoy some real great food, hospitality, food, weather, food, and did I mention food? 😎

• Like 2

Need to see a car in person before a purchase-too many wasted trips-thats why if you were closer I would be pursuing it 
Went to Boston to look at a 59 caddy-not quite as described, just got back from Long Island looking at a Hudson convertible - same deal

2nevets

Steven?

From what I know of Don Rundgren, you would surely not be disappointed in his Starfire, but a cheap flight to DFW would certainly confirm your desires and allay any suspicions.

Then you could have a ball driving home, and maybe even make a side-trip to New Orleans-

or at worst, catch a flight back home -

We've all made those wasted trips, but they also serve to increase our base of knowledge.

My guess? Don would likely arrange to meet you, as others have met us some distance from their homes.

Some of my best acquisitions, following failed journeys, have been quite distant.

Of the cars listed in my signature (below), and with the exception of the two 1995s (my Dad's car and one from a neighbor), all have been at least a thousand miles from home, and the best ones at far greater distance.

Perseverance pays off, in my opinion

Best of luck either way,

Go for it, man ! Love, right ? Good time to be in the sunny Southland. Take Marty's advice. Have a prolonged fun trip and visit some of your friends in Florida before going up the coast. A vacation. And you don't even have to rent a car !    -     Carl 

sounds fun until you break down;-) 
I drove a car home from the Carlisle swap meet and halfway home it starting to run erratic 
I was able to limp it home
2nd purchase a few years later- 25 miles into the trip the ignition module crapped out

hence my hesitation 

Edited by 2nevets (see edit history)

Brand new ford dually diesel broke down on me first trip I took with it. It happens, though it was my first new Ford diesel and my last, I have to admit. In over 4 million miles hauling goosenecks I’ve only been stranded 3 times with my GM diesels and the longest was 47hours in Wisconsin. I had to fly home with the Ford and they had it for 11 days. I still load up a brand new truck and go when I buy one. Old or new they can break down, plain and simple. Better a car breaking down mid trip than a plane, not so much fun when that happens!

Edited by chistech (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Must be about 1500 miles that I did,

Fly and drive, no problems until a bit into Oregon when it rained and the drivers side wiper fell off.

Its that Slant six dependability.

If one enters the journey with expectations of problems they will probably have them. Maybe an attitude thing.

I find the journey is more fun than the destination.

20915351_505504383130175_8121831993714875192_n.jpg

s-l200.jpg

• Like 2

Back off, guys. He simply wanted to say he liked the car and it has spiraled out of control. it happens all the time--everyone sees something for sale and says they love it and would buy it if only...

We see it three times a week where someone sees a car for sale and says, "I'd buy it if I had the room," "I'd buy it if it was closer," "I'd buy it if I didn't just buy something else." And a dozen other excuses. It wasn't a serious offer of intent. It never is. You've all seen it and know it doesn't mean anything. I even caught myself writing something similar just the other day because it was a car I really liked but I'm not in a position to buy it. I caught myself, but it happens.

Stop piling on. He didn't mean to say he wanted to buy it, he was just saying he liked the car in a sincere way and it got out of hand. That's all it was and now it's getting awkward. He doesn't really want the car but now he doesn't have a polite way to say it so I'm saying it for him. 

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

From what I know of Don Rundgren, you would surely not be disappointed in his Starfire

Marty, thank you for the kind words!

In response to some comments and questions regarding this car I wanted to share a link to my thread on this site under the "Restorations and Our Cars" forum. I posted there from 2011 when I got the car through 2015 and it covered a lot of the work I did and its overall condition when I bought it. This should help anyone who may be interested in purchasing get a good sense of what this car is and what it is not.

This car is still for sale. I'm actually getting some bites so I will keep using free ads for awhile.

4.JPG