SOLD!! 1963 Oldsmobile Starfire Coupe

Brand new ford dually diesel broke down on me first trip I took with it. It happens, though it was my first new Ford diesel and my last, I have to admit. In over 4 million miles hauling goosenecks I’ve only been stranded 3 times with my GM diesels and the longest was 47hours in Wisconsin. I had to fly home with the Ford and they had it for 11 days. I still load up a brand new truck and go when I buy one. Old or new they can break down, plain and simple. Better a car breaking down mid trip than a plane, not so much fun when that happens!

Edited by chistech (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Must be about 1500 miles that I did,

Fly and drive, no problems until a bit into Oregon when it rained and the drivers side wiper fell off.

Its that Slant six dependability.

If one enters the journey with expectations of problems they will probably have them. Maybe an attitude thing.

I find the journey is more fun than the destination.

20915351_505504383130175_8121831993714875192_n.jpg

s-l200.jpg

• Like 2

Back off, guys. He simply wanted to say he liked the car and it has spiraled out of control. it happens all the time--everyone sees something for sale and says they love it and would buy it if only...

We see it three times a week where someone sees a car for sale and says, "I'd buy it if I had the room," "I'd buy it if it was closer," "I'd buy it if I didn't just buy something else." And a dozen other excuses. It wasn't a serious offer of intent. It never is. You've all seen it and know it doesn't mean anything. I even caught myself writing something similar just the other day because it was a car I really liked but I'm not in a position to buy it. I caught myself, but it happens.

Stop piling on. He didn't mean to say he wanted to buy it, he was just saying he liked the car in a sincere way and it got out of hand. That's all it was and now it's getting awkward. He doesn't really want the car but now he doesn't have a polite way to say it so I'm saying it for him. 

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In response to some comments and questions regarding this car I wanted to share a link to my thread on this site under the "Restorations and Our Cars" forum. I posted there from 2011 when I got the car through 2015 and it covered a lot of the work I did and its overall condition when I bought it. This should help anyone who may be interested in purchasing get a good sense of what this car is and what it is not.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Almost another two months and no serious lookers for this car, previous compliments and nibbles notwithstanding. It appears to have "Starfire Disease", which I have seen before and shared with other Big Oldsmobile sellers. Everyone who sees the car loves it, knew someone who owned one, always loved them, wished they could buy one, etc. etc. and so on - but there is not a buyer in the bunch. Perhaps it is a problem with big cars in general, if this was a Cutlass or 442 it would have sold quickly. Anyway I now have it on Hemmings online and it will be in the May print issue, they have not failed me before so we shall see.

DSCF1090.JPG

Dang! I was just going to send you a check for that car!!

OK, I'm kidding...please don't be upset by my bad joke. Very happy you sold that great car and very happy for the new owner. It was a long time coming, and apparently all it took was a worldwide crisis for someone to realize that life's too short to let a beautiful black Starfire get away. Congrats!

• Like 1

Well said, JamesR ! And Don, I guess this fortunate local sale proves the virtue of patience. Good going. I suppose the only downside is that the lucky new owner didn't get to have a long driving adventure on the way home,  🤔😉     -    Carl 

• Like 2