Newport hill climb

A couple of Hupp friends were there this past weekend.  They have gone for years, love it and won't miss it.  BTW it is in Indiana.  Both were on the Glidden in SSC two weeks ago, ran back to Indiana fo rit and are now on the way to Hershey.  Must be just more crazy car people!

Indiana has a hill?  It must be in the southern part of the state😀. I should add I live in PA where we have real hills and I traveled to Ft Wayne, Marion, and Indianapolis for work.  I would tell my Indiana coworkers they have a nice state but it sure could use a few more hills!

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)

Yes we have hills. Newport is located on the west side of the state about 30 minutes east of the state line and about the same as the north side of Indy. I've been through pa and your hills are bigger and a lot more of them. This hill is big enough for the older cars and trucks. The times range from the high 20s to 3 plus minutes. Some even don't make it to the top without help. My friend with the Kaiser did it in about 33 seconds. It's just a good day of seeing old cars and talking to the proud owners. Everyone can learn something from them. I know I did. 

• Like 1

On 10/8/2019 at 8:54 AM, TerryB said:

Indiana has a hill?  It must be in the southern part of the state😀. I should add I live in PA where we have real hills and I traveled to Ft Wayne, Marion, and Indianapolis for work.  I would tell my Indiana coworkers they have a nice state but it sure could use a few more hills!

Yes, the southern part has hills - the glaciers didn't get far enough to knock them down.  😁

I've been to the hill climb a couple times many years ago - it's the third largest auto event in Indiana, after the 500 and the Brickyard.  The course is 1800 feet long and 8% grade.  The objective is to run it in the fastest time - sort of an uphill drag race.  🤣  Cars from the 20s-up usually do OK but earlier and/or under-powered ones may struggle or not make it.

Newport's other claim to fame is it was home to the Army Ammunition Plant from 1942 to 2010.  Until its closure, the plant produced, stored, and eventually disposed of RDX explosive, heavy water, and VX nerve gas.

I had a few trip to Bloomington too as RCA, my former employer had a huge presence there.  Indiana vistas were fun, the people were extremely friendly.  I did attend the 500 one year and I always wound up in Marion during James Dean Days.