Sign in to follow this  
eric wohlberg

Good Diff shop in the San Jose area?

Hey guys,

Any suggestions for a good rear end shop in the Bay Area that can inspect/service the diff of my 64 Estate Wagon?

Thanks in advance,

EW

OK Eric:  RearEnd Spealisties,  1040  Di Gulio in Sunnyvale.   408-988-3619.     EXCELLENT !   Mitch

Edited by lrlforfun (see edit history)

Dunno if this is much help, but I had a bad pinion bearing and leaking axle seal in a different vehicle.  I called Rearend Specialties and they quoted me $800 for the bearing and another $400 to replace the axle bearings and seals.  I thought that was bit much, so I bought the parts (~$125), a 20 ton press from Harbor Freight ($120), and an inch-lb torque wrench on eBay ($30) and did it myself.  I had to make a fixture to hold the yoke while I torqued the crap out of it, but I figure that I saved a bunch of money, I now own the tools, and when you start figuring the hassle of dropping off and picking up the car and the 3-day turnaround, I saved a bunch of time as well.

Having said that, they do have a real good reputation.

And because it’s always good to spend other folks’ money...  If they pull the carrier, they’ll have to pop the axles out.  As long as they’re out, you might consider new bearings and seals.  It will be a lot easier (read: cheaper) to do it at the same time, and after 55 years there’s a good chance that there’s a little wear and tear on something.

This may be completely off the deep end, but you might ask about the feasibility of adding a drain plug to the casing.  Not that you change the fluid on a regular basis, but it’s an absolute PITA to do so with stock setup.

Edited by KongaMan (see edit history)

Often avery high quote ia ab "I dont want to do it" price.

They will quote high so they dont want to say no, but for a high price they will.

Happened with my "38 Buick.  I got a $600 quote just to put the glass in a freah restoration. Just Front and back.   ( I didnt want to do it).

My son and I put the glass in in about 2-1/2 hours