1924 DB oil indicator float

Bob Zetnick

My oil indicator float seems to not be working as it has sunk almost all the way into the block. I took the car out last month and everything was fine; oil level and float. Went out this last weekend and the float, even when brought up by hand, just sinks back down to the block. There is a couple of oil drips on the floor, but not a 5 quart puddle. So my questions are can an oil float leak like a vacuum tank float (I haven't seen the pan side of float)? ....Is there another way of checking oil level like through the oil filler (not sure if something would be in the way and there would be no indication of how many quarts were in the pan)?...Has anyone installed a dipstick in lieu of the float or are the floats considered pretty reliable? I've only had this car 3 years, so a novice at this one. Thanks!

I have a 1926 Dodge and when I bought it 2 years ago, the oil indicator was sunk to the bottom of the oil pan. I hear this is a common problem with them. I repaired my float in January when I dropped my oil pan. I drained the oil out where it was leaking, put some solder on the hole and resoldered where the metal rod goes through for good measure It’s still holding. 

Edited by DB26 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DB26 said:

I have a 1926 Dodge and when I bought it 2 years ago, the oil indicator was sunk to the bottom of the oil pan. I hear this is a common problem with them. I repaired my float in January when I dropped my oil pan. I drained the oil out where it was leaking, put some solder on the hole and resoldered where the metal rod goes through for good measure It’s still holding. 

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of! 

I am not familiar with your model car. Where is your oil gauge located  ? My gauge is on the dash . A clock type and an oil line from the block is attached to the back.  I was just suggesting if there is any possibility  of modifying. or you might to prefer to keep it original. 

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

Bob, You are in a difficult situation.

All of the indicators are telling you that there is no or very little oil.

Low level float and no pressure at the gauge.

Even when I had the float working the oil guage did not work. Also, as I had said, last month everything was fine and this month, in the garage, the float wasn't working....I have a couple of oil drips, but not all 5 quarts on the floor. I think it's a leaky float, but until these posts I wasn't sure a float could become "oil-logged". If there's a way to check the oil pan oil level besides the float or guage I can check before removing pan.

1 hour ago, Bob Zetnick said:

...If there's a way to check the oil pan oil level besides the float or guage I can check before removing pan.

The only way I was able to view my level before repairing my float was to peer inside the oil filler neck and jostle the engine around a little bit. Saw the sheen of the oil splashing around. I think a flashlight was involved too. But I have a 1926 4 cylinder, and I think the 12 volt engines have a different filler neck. Even then I didn’t know if I was low or not. I finally got confirmation by draining ALL of the oil into a drain pan and counting how many quarts I had. 

Edited by DB26 (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, DB26 said:

The only way I was able to view my level before repairing my float was to peer inside the oil filler neck and jostle the engine around a little bit. Saw the sheen of the oil splashing around. I think a flashlight was involved too. But I have a 1926 4 cylinder, and I think the 12 volt engines have a different filler neck. Even then I didn’t know if I was low or not. I finally got confirmation by draining ALL of the oil into a drain pan and counting how many quarts I had. 

Sounds like the way I have to check my gas tank! I can try that...initially, I was thing like a dipstick of sorts, but then I thought something might be in the way and if not there are still no "markings" to show if I'm low or not. BTW, I searched the web for other '24 DB related things and saw another post in this forum regarding your "new" car...I think we got our cars about the same time...it was an informative post!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Zetnick said:

Sounds like the way I have to check my gas tank! I can try that...initially, I was thing like a dipstick of sorts, but then I thought something might be in the way and if not there are still no "markings" to show if I'm low or not. BTW, I searched the web for other '24 DB related things and saw another post in this forum regarding your "new" car...I think we got our cars about the same time...it was an informative post!

Aside from dropping the pan and fixing the float, I would say you could find a spot where you can safely drop a rod of some sort to the bottom of the pan. After that, drain the oil and then fill to factory specs. Immediately check the level on the rod and then mark it. From then on you will have a “full” reference as long as you take the reading from the same spot every time. 

Arent Dodges fun? Haha, and no sarcasm there. I enjoy a few good challenges. 

23 hours ago, DB26 said:

Aside from dropping the pan and fixing the float, I would say you could find a spot where you can safely drop a rod of some sort to the bottom of the pan. After that, drain the oil and then fill to factory specs. Immediately check the level on the rod and then mark it. From then on you will have a “full” reference as long as you take the reading from the same spot every time. 

Arent Dodges fun? Haha, and no sarcasm there. I enjoy a few good challenges. 

Thanks for the tip, but I think I'll go ahead and fix the float. Yeah, I like these old Dodges...I know my '29 better as I've had it so long, but the '24 is a relatively new beast! Both fun to drive!

• Like 1