Plate Glass Protection film?

Crazyfamily

So my 1927 Buick 27/27 has its original glass from what I can tell, I know this is not safe at least on the windshield.

I am not concerned with points with car shows and God bless those that are, my question is....

Has anyone looked into a clear window tint like film to coat the inside of the windshield so in the event of a issue with breakage the window glass would stay together?  AND help protect the occupants?!!

I had a Mustang Cobra back in the day, God I miss that car and one of many I should have never sold but you know those stories all too well, but some homeless guy got kicked out of a bar down stairs from the paramedic station I worked at, he proceeded to, get this, call the police and tell them “I’m pissed and I’m going to do some damage so you better come down here right now!”!!

So Mr. Homeless Jackass proceeds to pick up a cinderblock and throw it threw the back window of my car onto my four 18 inch subwoofers (I told you it was back in the day!🤘🏼🤘🏼).

The window tint I had installed kept the glass together and there was very little clean up!  All the glass stayed connected by the window tint.

So remembering this got me thinking, has anyone looked into or have done window tint (clear is what I’d want but with UV protection, the new ceramic tint seems amazing for UV/heat protection), for these old relics we drive?

I am interesting in hearing your thoughts aside from “Change to safety glass”!

Oh btw Yes the caught Mr. Homelessness Jackass, he left his bike at the scene when he ran away and the PoPo 👮‍♀️ knew who he was by the bike.

He was arrested and at court his Lawyer paid me for the damage, wonder how that happened??!!

The shatter characteristics of tempered safety glass, (relatively harmless pebbles), and plate, (dangerous shards much sharper than any edge on a razor blade), are so different that I don't think you should assume anything without performing a number of test impacts. I am skeptical. By the time you would have enough data (single side application and both sides application), you probably would have spent more energy than the relatively simple windshield replacement. But I must admit that I am curious. "Change to safety glass", and then perform the experiment. Please report the results here.

Oh : and don't worry about showing a car with non-original safety glass. You will not be dinged even one nanopoint. I could be wrong, but I think there are some show fields where a car with a plate glass windshield would be ineligible. In many, if not most, perhaps all states, it is illegal to drive without safety glass in the windshield.       -    Carl 

• Like 2

I’m going to switch over to safety glass in all positions at some point, more than likely this Spring.  However, I was looking for something to “help” in the meantime.

I have some many projects to contend with till Spring, and prob beyond, but in the meantime I was curious if anyone knew of any type of film to add to the safety of plate glass?

Oh, all right Crazy'. Go ahead. Go. Go on. Call me a hypocrite if you have to. It was extremely difficult to replace the windshields on my '24 Cadillac. I HAD to do it. It would be dead simple to do so on the '27. Does your'27 Bu' have a windshield which cranks up for ventilation like mine ? Makes it easy. BUT : but, but, but there is something on my windshield that is worth keeping to me. You can see it just past the double -headed beveled inside rear view mirror. It is a two sided 1944 Idaho license "plate" decal. If you click my profile you will see the other side of the decal, and also the heads of the fasteners attaching 5 suction cups to a sheet of plastic. One little flying rock which goes "snap" on safety glass and harmlessly sends you to the glass shop, could shatter the old windshield, decal and all. The plastic stands well off of the glass. You can see the separation at the bottom edge. And in my case, it is fitted so I can still raise the windshield. 

My advice to you, is don't do as I do, do as I say. Call me what you want,      hypocritical.  -  Cadillac Carl 

747341EB-E655-4863-9A94-5A98F4340125.jpeg

47D4483C-6E1E-4386-B9CC-CAC72D7CF271.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, C Carl said:

Oh, all right Crazy'. Go ahead. Go. Go on. Call me a hypocrite if you have to. It was extremely difficult to replace the windshields on my '24 Cadillac. I HAD to do it. It would be dead simple to do so on the '27. Does your'27 Bu' have a windshield which cranks up for ventilation like mine ? Makes it easy. BUT : but, but, but there is something on my windshield that is worth keeping to me. You can see it just past the double -headed beveled inside rear view mirror. It is a two sided 1944 Idaho license "plate" decal. If you click my profile you will see the other side of the decal, and also the heads of the fasteners attaching 5 suction cups to a sheet of plastic. One little flying rock which goes "snap" on safety glass and harmlessly sends you to the glass shop, could shatter the old windshield, decal and all. The plastic stands well off of the glass. You can see the separation at the bottom edge. And in my case, it is fitted so I can still raise the windshield. 

My advice to you, is don't do as I do, do as I say. Call me what you want,      hypocritical.  -  Cadillac Carl 

747341EB-E655-4863-9A94-5A98F4340125.jpeg

47D4483C-6E1E-4386-B9CC-CAC72D7CF271.jpeg

Cool, yes my front windshield is SUPPOSED TO CRANK UP, it doesn’t currently as it’s frozen in place but it’s supposed to!  That’s actually one of my Winter projects, to get all Window locations to should crank up and down to do so!  

Currently only the two front side windows move!    If I hold the inside and outside of the windshield I can slightly move the glass it’s self but the crank is frozen in place and snapped off!  It’s my goal to remove the door panels/cards and he front and rear seat and work on the interior and window mechanisms to get everything working as it should!

And replace all the rubber in the car!!!!

And remove and restore the dash.

And R&R the inside window trim panels!

And And And!

There are plenty more “And....” as with a typical car project!!!

Yes. The two mirrors monitor the rear quarters, NOT the back window. This reduces the blind spots to a significant degree. If you need to peek dead astern, you have but to lean. An extremely useful accessory. Collateral benefit is that you will not be pestered directly  by headlights behind you at night. 

Now the reason your windows are frozen has nothing to do with the mechanisms at all. It is the handles themselves which are frozen. They are bound up because the pot metal they are made of has swelled up. Start looking for replacements. You can find functioning ones over time from guys with sedan parts cars. Start advertising here now. Check with Rich, the handleman, when he gets back from Hershey. Make sure any replacement you find turns easily. The alternative is expensive, and involves having new ones cast. There is a company in Australia with a U.S. representative who does this somewhat routinely.   -  Carl 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, C Carl said:

Yes. The two mirrors monitor the rear quarters, NOT the back window. This reduces the blind spots to a significant degree. If you need to peek dead astern, you have but to lean. An extremely useful accessory. Collateral benefit is that you will not be pestered directly  by headlights behind you at night. 

Now the reason your windows are frozen has nothing to do with the mechanisms at all. It is the handles themselves which are frozen. They are bound up because the pot metal they are made of has swelled up. Start looking for replacements. You can find functioning ones over time from guys with sedan parts cars. Start advertising here now. Check with Rich, the handleman, when he gets back from Hershey. Make sure any replacement you find turns easily. The alternative is expensive, and involves having new ones cast. There is a company in Australia with a U.S. representative who does this somewhat routinely.   -  Carl 

I am hoping you are correct in the windows, I thought for sure the mechanism itself is what is corroded and frozen, I know the handles are pot metal and I am fine getting new ones, I will try to remove the windshield crank handle and see if I can crank the windshield up before I take the header apart!!

I planned on getting all new interior handles this Winter anyway!

I will be at Hershey Weds, Thursday, and Saturday for the car show it’s self as well!  I’m just looking for a few things at the swap meet Weds and Thursday but going mostly for fun, I always enjoy the hunt!!!

1 hour ago, Brian_Heil said:

No decal or sticker is worth my sight. 

Of course I agree with you 100%, Brian. The plastic provides a huge amount of protection. It would take an enormous object to overcome the distribution of impact force enough to send glass flying. I do not worry much, but now I have almost certainly invited disaster. You should have heard me arrogantly crowing to my friends before I had the mountain snowmobiling accident which disabled me, and shortened my lifespan. EUREKA !! I believe I have just had a brainstorm of how to mount a plastic scattershield inside and independent of the windshield. Sandwiching the glass really ought to do it.       Hmmmmmm.......  WOW !!!!. Thanks for igniting my creativity.   I never though about this solution until right now !!!!  The cupped vent intake where the dash rolls over to meet the windshield has a gap between the metal and the glass. When you lift the windshield slightly, you get gentle no draft ventilation to your legs in variable amounts. So a piece of plastic with vent channels cut should bed down nicely in the gap. Attaching it to the overhead lift crank should be a good anchor point.   Thanks again, Brian !!!!! 

Are you listening Crazy' ? Waddaya think ?                Still able, but seldom need to correct to 20/20 eyesight with plastic lens glasses. I do like to use them if I have to drive at night.  -   CC 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crazyfamily said:

I am hoping you are correct in the windows, 

With totally shameless certainty : I am.

1 hour ago, Crazyfamily said:

.....................before I take the header apart!!

Make sure to read the Fisher Body Manual for 1927 to learn how to replace the windshield. My manual was last seen almost 200 miles South of me. I hope it is still there. If I had it in hand, I could send you a picture of the page. I did read it  before I came up with the suction cup/plastic solution. I remember being relieved, after the problematic '24, to see that it was very easy.   -   Carl 

• Like 1

You want laminated safety glass for the front windshield and tempered glass for the side and rear windows.  That is how it is done today. The font stays together and the side and rear glass shatter on impact. Make basic drawings and bid to several glass shops. There are no shortcuts.  Minimum is the windshield replacement.   Hugh 

• Like 2

One of the unique options on my 2003 BMW 7 Series is laminated side glass. Just in case I get in a situation where I don't want shattered glass all over the place.

1419445602_SriLankanArmoredE382.jpg.d0522df3f17446a0cda155b3b8955cc8.jpg

Older one pictured.

Interesting that the wipers are up. I wonder if the infrared senor thought it was raining.

The only option IMO is to just replace the glass with safety glass. I just replaced the glass in the windshields for a couple of my vehicles and I think it cost less than $200.00.  My guess is that would be less than the price of a deductible at an emergency department, not to mention the cost of an accident to your body.  Just my 2 cents worth.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

The only option IMO is to just replace the glass with safety glass. I just replaced the glass in the windshields for a couple of my vehicles and I think it cost less than $200.00.  My guess is that would be less than the price of a deductible at an emergency department, not to mention the cost of an accident to your body.  Just my 2 cents worth.

I agree, that’s the way I am going to go....

thanks for the input everyone