Recommended Posts

What is the preferred method to troubleshoot the Teves brake system on a '98 TC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, checkmate said:

What is the preferred method to troubleshoot the Teves brake system on a '89 TC

1156DE69-63A7-46DE-A50F-8D8070C26892.thumb.jpeg.b5637937629b59ebc3bbe4b5a83c4b1a.jpeg
 

If you provide some clue as to the problem you are experiencing, we could be if greater assistance.  

Edited by Hemi Dude
Added information and inquiry (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Hemi Dude said:

1156DE69-63A7-46DE-A50F-8D8070C26892.thumb.jpeg.b5637937629b59ebc3bbe4b5a83c4b1a.jpeg
 

If you provide some clue as to the problem you are experiencing, we could be if greater assistance.  

Unable to bleed brakes after replacing brake booster. No lights on dash. Booster was removed as described in blue service manual 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unable to bleed brakes”  OK! To begin with, prepare to bleed the rear brake calipers first. That means, remove both rear wheels in order to access the bleeder fittings. Be sure you can loosen them both. Have a hose connected to the right side bleeder fitting and a catch pan on the floor beneath it.

You should remove ALL OLD brake fluid from the reservoir with some sort of device such as a turkey baster. Fill the reservoir to the top with NEW, CLEAN DOT3 brake fluid. Now you are ready to proceed.

Have an assistant sit in the car while you do the bleeding.

Have helper turn the ignition to the ON/RUN position and hold light pressure on the brake pedal. Helper is to hold foot on brake pedal lightly, NOT push it to the floor. The pump will come on and push the fluid in a steady stream as you open the bleeder and run until YOU shut it off by closing the bleeder.

YOU open the bleeder and allow the old brake fluid to drain into the catch pan until you see the clean fluid appear, then shut off the fitting after a moment of clear fluid flowing. Have helper lift foot from brake pedal.
BE SURE THERE IS SUFFICIENT BRAKE FLUID IN RESERVOIR.

Move to left rear caliper, bleed in the same way. It should flow clear more quickly compared to the right side.

 

For the front calipers, bleeding process is done as you would with standard brake system. Do right front first, then the left. 
This can be done with ignition on or off. I prefer ’off’ myself.

 

Be sure that reservoir does NOT run dry. 


In the end, verify that the reservoir fluid level is between the arrows after the brake pedal has been pumped 30 times WITH THE IGNITION OFF.


This process is for a normally operating system without any brake line blockage. If this doesn’t work for you, let us know what the problem was that you experienced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2019 at 12:36 PM, Hemi Dude said:

Unable to bleed brakes”  OK! To begin with, prepare to bleed the rear brake calipers first. That means, remove both rear wheels in order to access the bleeder fittings. Be sure you can loosen them both. Have a hose connected to the right side bleeder fitting and a catch pan on the floor beneath it.

You should remove ALL OLD brake fluid from the reservoir with some sort of device such as a turkey baster. Fill the reservoir to the top with NEW, CLEAN DOT3 brake fluid. Now you are ready to proceed.

Have an assistant sit in the car while you do the bleeding.

Have helper turn the ignition to the ON/RUN position and hold light pressure on the brake pedal. Helper is to hold foot on brake pedal lightly, NOT push it to the floor. The pump will come on and push the fluid in a steady stream as you open the bleeder and run until YOU shut it off by closing the bleeder.

YOU open the bleeder and allow the old brake fluid to drain into the catch pan until you see the clean fluid appear, then shut off the fitting after a moment of clear fluid flowing. Have helper lift foot from brake pedal.
BE SURE THERE IS SUFFICIENT BRAKE FLUID IN RESERVOIR.

Move to left rear caliper, bleed in the same way. It should flow clear more quickly compared to the right side.

 

For the front calipers, bleeding process is done as you would with standard brake system. Do right front first, then the left. 
This can be done with ignition on or off. I prefer ’off’ myself.

 

Be sure that reservoir does NOT run dry. 


In the end, verify that the reservoir fluid level is between the arrows after the brake pedal has been pumped 30 times WITH THE IGNITION OFF.


This process is for a normally operating system without any brake line blockage. If this doesn’t work for you, let us know what the problem was that you experienced.

Once again you've come to my rescue.  Thank you very much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now