64 Console removal for carpet install?

SurfGreen64

If you look at the very rear of the console you'll see a screw under the rear lamp. Remove this & you SHOULD be able to lift the console enough to slide the rug underneath. Just don't force it as it WILL break. This screw is kinda long & it will probably be a pain to re-install. Just get a probing device like a test light to try & find the hole.

⁷You might be able to but if I  remember correctly, those vent screws are held in place with some flat speed nuts.  If you remove the screws, the speed nuts fall inside the console and you won't have anything for the screws to grab.  It's  been a long time and I'm not positive. Maybe someone else will chime in.  Trim the carpet so there's just enough to wedge under the console using a wide flat blade (putty knife) you shouldn't need much room if you're not trying to stuff too much carpet under the console.

download.jpeg.9c9416ba1e2cd3875dbd25dd4a6cd12b.jpeg

You should have enough room to slide the carpet underneath the console.  There will not be enough room if you are trying to include padding.  If so, trim the padding.

There are 2 plastic tabs or ears where the console meets the dash.  They are plastic and fragile.  Be careful not to break them if the are still intact.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

ok so how do I remove the center console? I need to get to the AC heater controls(currently not working ) and find out why the backup light does not work. I tried removing the shifter plate but still could not get to the neutral safety  switch assembly . Any diagrams or procedures?

Thanks for any help.

Erick