My Fuel gauge isn't working!

zimwiz

Not familiar with 36 Packard, but....

These days if its a one wire sender you can take the sender wire off of the tank and ground it, the gauge should peg with the sender wire to ground. (Ignition on)

If it does indeed peg, its the sender.

• Like 2

Grounding the wire at the sending unit will make the dash gauge needle go  up or down depending on the make. The best thing to do is to remove the sender from the tank and use a multi meter and check to see if the sender works. Do that by moving the float lever up or down. It should have a continuous reading from low to high. If the reading is skippy the wiring inside is worn and is in need of repair. The float could be saturated or leaking ( cork float ?) Bob Speedometer who advertises in the Hemmings  is a good place to restore gauges.

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 9:05 AM, zimwiz said:

Hi guys,

Can anyone share their wisdom on diagnosing non-functioning gas gauge on a 1936 Packard 1405?

I might be a little late on giving any useful answers for diagnosing as they have already been posted, but I can offer one suggestion prior to replacing a sending unit if grounding the sending unit wire swings the gage and that is: make certain the connection to the sending unit is good and  attach a fresh ground to the tank before pulling the sending unit.  A dirty or loose connection to sending unit or tank ground will make a good gage or sending unit look bad.

I would like to see a picture of the sending unit if you have one. If it is anything like mine on the 28 DB Senior made by North East Electrical, it has an internal ground wire. that  is possibly broken. Skippy reading ? you can probably replace the windings yourself,