A Family’s fascination revives story of the Cole Motor cars

kfle

12 hours ago, kfle said:

Unfortunately all build sheets were destroyed.  

That is too bad, actually.  The Build Sheet confirms your car's "DNA".

Fortunately, most of the Production Orders for Studebaker have survived: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/general-studebaker-specific-discussion/57197-more-production-order-fun-post-yours-here?55844-more-production-order-fun-(post-yours-here-)=&highlight=betsy

Craig

• Like 1

2019-05-TA.thumb.jpg.cd12a8b59f4f6982f3cf07cb32a4cf5c.jpg

After re-reading an article on John North Willys in the May, 2019 publication of 'The Automobile', it appears Springfield Body Co. also supplied bodies to Willys Overland, where they also offered that same 'hardtop touring' body style in 1917. 

I wonder if any Overlands in this interesting body style also still exist.

Craig

On 10/8/2019 at 8:14 PM, kfle said:

Steve,

The real killer for Cole was Northway.  Northway made engines for both Cole and Cadillac going back to 1910, though typically the engines were completely different.  For example Cadillac released their V8 in October of 1914 and it was a 60 degree solid head design with 270 or so cubic inches.  Cole released their V8 in January of 1915 and it was the first 90 degree flathead V8's with detachable cylinder heads and was a larger 346 cubic inches.  Both engines were made by Northway, though Cole's Chief Engineer spent 6 months at Northway in Detroit during 1914 working on Cole's specific design.  Cadillac ended up adopting Coles V8 design in 17/18 due to it running much better and Cole standardized on the v8 for all engines in 1916 going forward.  Northway stopped letting Cole change engine designs in 1922/23 due to competitive issues and Durant.  

On the topic of an updated history, the head of the Gilmore Car Museum research library and myself were just talking a week ago about authoring a book.  He has also been talking to the Society of Automotive Historians about publishing it.  We have an interesting angle and just may do it.  The Gilmore library had over 70,000 Cole documents and information donated to them a year ago by an avid collector and historian who created the original registry and ran a Cole club for three decades.  A great deal of history sites and books have wrong info on Cole.  For example if you go to the Cole Motor Car Company page on Wikipedia, it states that JJ Cole tried to build a car with his son in 1903 as a first attempt and that never happened!  The thing is that his son was 4 years old in 1903 🙂 When I have some time i will update Wikipedia and put some cited information on the site.  Time to do the work is the limiting factor now, but we will see what happens.

Here is a great Cole family photo of JJ Cole pulling his only son, JJ Cole Jr. on a sled in a 1910 Cole 30 Flyer.  

Kevin

Pulling son edited #1.jpg

Kevin

Thanks for the deeper context on the relationship between Northway, Cole and Cadillac.  I recall reading that Northway was engine builder for both.  One assumes as Cadillac volume grew, patience with special specifications for the low-volume Cole engine would diminish.  If rumors that Durant was pursuing Cole got back to GM, who had had enough of his shenanigans, it was just one more reason to end the business relationship.  

I hope you will seriously consider writing a Cole history, to correct so much of the incorrect that's available.  If not a book, perhaps an on-line site that you can add to and enlarge when further insights and solid information come to light.

Steve 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Kevin

Thanks for the deeper context on the relationship between Northway, Cole and Cadillac.  I recall reading that Northway was engine builder for both.  One assumes as Cadillac volume grew, patience with special specifications for the low-volume Cole engine would diminish.  If rumors that Durant was pursuing Cole got back to GM, who had had enough of his shenanigans, it was just one more reason to end the business relationship.  

I hope you will seriously consider writing a Cole history, to correct so much of the incorrect that's available.  If not a book, perhaps an on-line site that you can add to and enlarge when further insights and solid information come to light.

Steve 

Steve,

I will continue to document the history.  Currently, the best place to get information is at the registry website  www.colemotorcarregistry.com.   I update that, have a blog with posts, and also we publish a periodic electronic newsletter.  I post those to the site as well.  I also make some videos here and there on youtube.  Here is another Cole car walkthrough of a 1911 Cole Roadster.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2019 at 12:18 AM, kfle said:

Craig,

Thanks and the Tourscoupe is a nice car.  I have not had a chance to get out there to see it myself yet, but will someday.  There is another car of that model that exists that is down in Australia now, but I have not been able to track down the current owner.

Kevin

Kevin,

Is the one down in Australia the one I took the photo of in June 2014? If it is, I can point you in the direction of the guy who was used to get it transported to Australia. He would know who the owner was then.

Cole @ Rouse Hill.JPG

10 hours ago, Ozstatman said:

Kevin,

Is the one down in Australia the one I took the photo of in June 2014? If it is, I can point you in the direction of the guy who was used to get it transported to Australia. He would know who the owner was then.

Cole @ Rouse Hill.JPG

Yes that is the one.  Any help would be appreciated.

11 hours ago, Va-67Skylark said:

Photo of another Cole at the Gilmore Collection my wife and I took 2-weeks ago on our visit. What an amazing collection!

DSCN2159.JPG

I am glad you enjoyed it.  That 1913 Cole is mine as well and is my favorite of our Coles.   It looks even better in the sunlight!  

ED7D6F23-DECF-49E7-BF97-1A4F5AE2F9EE.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

This period photo appeared on another website as a example of touring in the 1920's.  It appears to be s Cole Eight touring parked in front of the Hotel Coarse Gold.

Coarsegold_CA_hotel ca 1920's.jpg

Thanks for sharing and I have not seen that picture before.  That is a 1919-1921 Cole Aero 8 Tourster.  1922 had side mounted spares and then for 1923 they went to big barrel headlights.  Here is a nice picture of 1922 Cole Aero 8 with the side mounted tires.  Otherwise very similar wo the picture you shared.  

1923 Cole in Showroom.jpg