Sign in to follow this  
gt40pilot

Auto-Lite IGW 4055 Distributor Application?

Does anyone know what the Auto-Lite IGW 4055 distributor application is? It must be for a 2 cylinder motorcycle of some kind. Thank you for your help.

It's possible to be from a tractor, but it has a manual spark advance that is cable operated.

That I should be a 1 (one)

The closest to your number, that I have is 1GW4053

That 1GW4053 was used on Indian 2 cylinder motorcycles; and probably other engines as well

Some applications on Indian Chiefs 1945-1953. Was also used on  741's, 841's, and 30.50's; maybe more. Plenty of these distributors around

Can't find your 1GW4055 

• Like 1

I found out that the IGW4055 distributor is a rare conversion for the Indian vertical twins (1949-1952) to replace the problematic Edison-Wico magneto. Thanks for your help guys 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gt40pilot said:

I found out that the IGW4055 distributor is a rare conversion for the Indian vertical twins (1949-1952) to replace the problematic Edison-Wico magneto. Thanks for your help guys 

Well, That may explain why your number doesn't show up in the usual Indian charts.

I had a couple of Verticals, but all had the original ignition. And Yes, the original magneto was junk.

I'll mark that number down in my files, thank you for posting and finding this information.

Do you have a GT-40? The most beautiful car ever made!

Edited by intimeold
correction (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yes, I did own a Ford GT-40 for about 5 years. I have owned a few Ford & Shelby hi-performance vehicles over the years since the 1960's. I got interested in Shelby inspired vehicles as a high school kid back then. I wish now that I would of hung on to more of the stuff, hind-sight is always 20/20.