Sign in to follow this  
Craig Balzer

Accessing Windshield Wiper Motor -- 65 Riviera

OK guys -- who was the comedian that placed the wiper motor on the firewall, under the rear corner of the fender and tucked in behind behind the driver's hood hinge?

My wipers are so slow (how slow are they?) -- they are so slow that I truly thought the 65's came with vacuum activators wiper motors. I now know my 65 has dual speed electric wipers. Not only that, the windshield washer does not function -- the push button on the dash seems frozen. I was simply going to pull the wiper motor, clean up the inside of it (assuming the mechanism is clogged with 50 year old, hardened grease) , and check out the problem with the washer pump. That is -- until I discovered where Buick mounted it. What is the secret incantation to even see it?

The service manual diagram shows an access panel that does not appear to exist on my car. I have an early Riviera -- sequential build number on VIN of 909071 with a build date in the first week of December.

Can I get to the wiper motor by pulling the inner fender and left front tire? or do I need to pull off the fender? 

TIA

Craig

It's really strange you don't have the access panel.  If that's the case it would seem that you would need to pull the fender, which is extremely easy.  That's the method I used even though I *do* have the access panel.  

If your wiper is slow you'll also want to ensure it is getting the proper voltage at the connector and that the connection isn't corroded.  

I think there are other threads that address this.  You can access the wiper motor  by removing the hood hinge on that side and working through that opening.  😎

3 hours ago, Eric's.64.Superwildcat said:

It's really strange you don't have the access panel.

Maybe I am not looking in the right place -- where is the access panel??

Craig

Posted (edited)

There isn't one!  Sorry, you're going to have to do it the hard way, like I described previously.  Otherwise, Eric is going to have to post a picture of his.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

I guess this is what I was thinking of.  I should have said access 'plug' rather than panel.  This plug is in my driver's side wheel well and I have a vague recollection that it allows access to one of the three mounting bolts via a long socket and extender.  

I didn't use this method.  I simply removed the fender.  

Please note that my example is from a '64.  I'm assuming it is the same as the '65, but I'm not sure.  

access.plug.wheel.well.JPG

Well -- I was going to post 4 photos (two from inside the engine compartment and two peering between the LF tire and the wheel opening. These photos would have shown the absence of my access panel. No need.

So -- since Buick played hide-the-wiper-motor, can I assume they were equally as sneaky with all the vacuum lines exiting the fire wall at top center? I noticed what I thought was a disconnected vacuum line and reach in to re-attach it. Turns out it was broken off and in probing the bundle of vacuum lines another one snapped like crystal. I now have two open vacuum lines and what appears to be a molded black fitting in/on/through the firewall.

Can someone please explain what the black thing is and how I reattach the 2(soon to be 6 or 7) vacuum lines to/through it. I recently purchase 50' of vacuum line -- it my not be enough.

Craig

20191005_133353.jpg

Unless those hoses are original AND you can stiil see the colored stripe on the hose AND you have a diagram that shows which hose goes to which port, there's really no way of knowing.  You could find the other end of the hose and see what it connects to, but you'd still need the diagram to know which port it goes to on the controls in the console.  I don't think the diagram will tell you which hose goes through which hole in that grommet in the firewall.