Many Parts! Helping Neighbor Out. 70 Years of Collecting.

Gearguy

Hello everyone!  I'm new to the forum and to pre-war cars, but have owned many post-war cars and trucks, over the past 35 plus years.   I am helping my neighbor in Phoenix thin out his 70 plus year collection of pre-war car parts and farm antiques.   I will likely need help identifying many parts when he can't.  The parts are mostly Model T, Model A, 1920's - 30's Buick, 1920's - 30's  Packard, 1920's -30's Graham, 1920's Lasalle and I know there are many other random odd and possibly rare parts.  Though we are focusing on the pre-war parts, he also has restored and owned many 50's Jaguar, Fiat,  Plymouth and 60's Corvair and may later have some of those parts too.  So far. I have sorted through carburetors and have Identified and tagged 20 different models, such as Schebler, Zenith, Holley and Carter.   Next, I am gathering headlamps, lights, housings, lenses and so on.  This is going to be quite a task, but I am really looking forward to learning more about pre-war cars and hearing all of his stories behind each item.  I plan to post parts for sale her and other similar sites and really hope to avoid Ebay.  Any advice that anyone can give on selling the pieces of this collection  would be greatly appreciated.  -Joe

20191004_112039.jpg

20191004_112011.jpg

• Like 2

• Gearguy changed the title to Many Parts! Helping Neighbor Out. 70 Years of Collecting.

First picture,  inside the box on right side,  polished aluminum light housing sure looks like an early (60-64) Corvair taillight or back-up light housing.....those Corvair parts show up in the strange places

On 10/4/2019 at 11:27 PM, Gearguy said:

I plan to post parts for sale her and other similar sites and really hope to avoid Ebay.  Any advice that anyone can give on selling the pieces of this collection  would be greatly appreciated.  -Joe

Joe,  I am not a vendor, so please keep that in mind when reading the following comments.  

At the Hershey Fall meet this year there was this vendor:

IMG_2645.thumb.JPG.a78713d66841fa20882f030ca2f090fc.JPG

And my observation is that: if your neighbor really wants to sell parts, he needs to know that what he has may not be that rare, and or that marketable.  In the case of this seller, I thought the individual headlights were very expensive.  And I guess it makes some sense to price these things high to begin with because, after all, they are not making any new ones.  But the prices on every headlight told me two things:

1) either the headlight is too expensive for the application, 

or 

2) the headlights are not really that marketable due to lack of demand.   

In my opinion, if the headlights were in great demand,  then the boxes would have had some empty spots regardless of the prices.  And I would expect that if they are not in great demand then they will be around for a long time unless the seller is motivated to make the price attractive to the customer.

Just to provide some background on this event,  although this is the first time I have ever gone to a AACA Hershey Fall Meet, it is a well established show and swap meet.  it's been going on for decades.  There were thousands of vendors.  There were throngs of people roaming around the fields. The weather was perfect for the customers.  So this view of the spot is not just due to it being a low key event or a bad day.  And again, I know nothing of the potential value of any of these lights. It may very well be that they were priced appropriately.  But it appears to me  that stocks of these are not in great demand. 

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:48 PM, JohnD1956 said:

Joe,  I am not a vendor, so please keep that in mind when reading the following comments.  

At the Hershey Fall meet this year there was this vendor:

IMG_2645.thumb.JPG.a78713d66841fa20882f030ca2f090fc.JPG

I believe this vendor has been selling headlights for over 20 years.

Hi guys and thanks for your thoughts.  The photo sure shows quite a collection of lights and I believe that John's assessment of demand is probably correct.  Regardless, we have a nice collection that must be sold.

On 10/13/2019 at 6:59 PM, Larry Schramm said:

On 10/13/2019 at 9:59 PM, Larry Schramm said:

I believe this vendor has been selling these headlights for over 20 years...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1