Estate value: ‘56 John Deere 420c Tractor w/brush hog

victorialynn2

I hope this post is ok even though this is not a car. I am hoping to get a value for the estate on this tractor. My dad has owner it since ‘87 and it’s used to mow his acreage in Texas. I have kept it maintained and in good working order. 

I am going to try and find some sales online, but I’ve had difficulty in the past. If anyone knows a good resource, please let me know. I mowed with this one time and it was actually a blast. Wish I had room for it in Oregon, but I will be selling it once both properties are sold. The garage is listed and the house will be after some minor repairs are done. 

Thanks in advance!

6FA33658-E82C-4BF0-938A-7871B3FC523A.jpeg

1D8F330B-FEA8-4A42-8212-CB2804568F85.jpeg

AB0B7F12-9AB6-4072-9490-10E6D0BD68DD.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, oldford said:

Is that a Johm Deere M?, My friend has two of them and I'll ask him...

Frank

Thanks Frank. BOS just says 420C serial# 94116/w =1956

with 5’ IMCO brush hog mower #533292.

I have the owners manual, but believe it’s for multiple models. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

Neat, but not much value. Location is important.......hobby farm guys love them. In the middle of the heartland......lots of them around. Best guess......3500

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Neat, but not much value. Location is important.......hobby farm guys love them. In the middle of the heartland......lots of them around. Best guess......3500

It’s in ranch land Texas. (Harper in Hill Country, near Fredricksburg).  They have non running ones for yard art there. Lol. 

I know its not worth a lot. Just need to value for estate and know what to ask. I have to provide a list of all assets and values within a certain time frame. 

Thank you!

7 minutes ago, edinmass said:

That's me. I wish it were closer as I'm in the market for one of these. I'd also like to know what the best resource online is for vintage tractors.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phillip Cole said:

There is bound to be a John Deere dealer in Fredericksburg. Give them a call.

I haven’t had much luck with dealers giving me fair values. They usually tell me it’s worthless and I should take (insert low amount) for them to take it off my hands. 

Victorialynn2, try the Classic Tractor Fever website and Aumann's Auctions, they are some good people and there is a lot of interest in some of the older John Deeres.  I sold my 420 without a bush-hog in '08 for $2500.00 and it didn't look near as nice as yours.   Here is a site with some values too.

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/list/manufacturer/john-deere/model-group/420

Edited by John Byrd (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

I haven’t had much luck with dealers giving me fair values. They usually tell me it’s worthless and I should take (insert low amount) for them to take it off my hands. 

That's too bad! Don't know about Texas, but most of the dealers here in NC try to be helpful.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Phillip Cole said:

That's too bad! Don't know about Texas, but most of the dealers here in NC try to be helpful.

My experience was specifically with antique cars. I did go to the tractor store to buy a battery and a part and wasn’t impressed though. It may be because I’m a women. It’s an old fashioned area. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, John Byrd said:

Victorialynn2, try the Classic Tractor Fever website and Aumann's Auctions, they are some good people and there is a lot of interest in some of the older John Deeres.  I sold my 420 without a bush-hog in '08 for $2500.00 and it didn't look near as nice as yours.   Here is a site with some values too.

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/list/manufacturer/john-deere/model-group/420

That is a helpful site. Thanks. I think 3500 is about right, like @Car-Nicopia said. The prices are slightly higher, but they are asking prices. 

1 hour ago, victorialynn2 said:

It’s in ranch land Texas. (Harper in Hill Country, near Fredricksburg).  They have non running ones for yard art there. Lol. 

I know its not worth a lot. Just need to value for estate and know what to ask. I have to provide a list of all assets and values within a certain time frame. 

Thank you!

If you are establishing a value for taxes it,s condition is poor and worth $300. Just sayin.......bob

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

The estate is not big enough to worry about taxes. Just have to list values and then sell. 

For federal tax you are no doubt correct. State tax varies. Here in Pa spouses pay zero % of estate, direct decendants 3%, all others 15%. Executor is entitled to 5% fee and attorney fee 5% negotiable. If the estate is being settled in a state with no estate tax consider yourself lucky,  others pay the man and it comes right off the top, at full boat, often at declared value. ......Just sayin.........Bob

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

For federal tax you are no doubt correct. State tax varies. Here in Pa spouses pay zero % of estate, direct decendants 3%, all others 15%. Executor is entitled to 5% fee and attorney fee 5% negotiable. If the estate is being settled in a state with no estate tax consider yourself lucky,  others pay the man and it comes right off the top, at full boat, often at declared value. ......Just sayin.........Bob

Most states have a minimum value, usually 1-3 million before you have to pay estate taxes. This estate is barely anything, as most was spent for his care, travel, paying others to help me sell his cars, clean out the garages, etc. All that really is left is the real estate and a few other small things. Real estate is cheap there. Garage that’s left with 3 ac maybe 150k, manufactured home on 5 ac maybe 125k. Split 3 ways after mortgage, bills, etc. and it’s not much. Can’t get 5% as executor on the real estate in Texas either. No state tax there, not that it matters for this estate. 

I will be lucky to keep the 57 and put a roof on my house. I never did this for the money. I lost over 300k in income because I couldn’t work and take care of him, travel to sell his cars for his care, take care of the properties, etc. I did this for love, not money. I wanted a say in his care and I didn’t want him to be a ward of the state. 

There is no amount of money that would have been worth what I’ve been through. It was emotionally and financially devastating. Half the time I was scared to death. Scared I couldn’t sell stuff to pay his bills or mine fast enough, scared to travel alone hauling cars and sleeping in truck stops to keep an eye out for them, scared to be in the isolated house and garage alone, etc. Sometimes when I was in Texas, this forum kept me going, especially during holidays when I couldn’t be with my kids, but that was the best time to travel as it was cool enough there to work in the garage. I had never been to Texas before and knew no one. I had no help from family. Just people I met along the way that took pity on me. I have developed a bad case of PTSD. However, my dad was cared for until the end. 💕

I am doing reverse mortgages now to help other seniors and work from home. My work helps me have a sense of purpose and since I’ve always been a workaholic, it is helpful for my state of mind. My kids moved cross country, which is hard, but I don’t want to burden them with my issues anyway. I’m looking forward to closing out this estate that took over my life for over 5 years and heal from this traumatic experience. 

Thank you all for your help and friendship along the way. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

You can be proud of yourself for the love and care provided to your Dad. Good memories will be with you, long after the pain diminishes. 

Keep posting on this forum. I enjoy your posts, and love your 57. We had a 59 retractable when I was young. 

Kevin 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

I haven’t had much luck with dealers giving me fair values. ...

4 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

I did go to the tractor store to buy a battery and a part and wasn’t impressed though. It may be because I’m a woman. It’s an old fashioned area. 

Old-fashioned values mean family values,

and a gentleman would go out of his way

to help someone who didn't have the specific

knowledge that he did.  It's a matter of simply

treating the other person kindly and respectfully.

Oh, wait!  Those values are timeless, not old-fashioned.

They're both old and new---

• Like 1

No I don't think so, no titles as far as I know.

$3500 is about right. People are asking more, but that really doesn't mean anything.

Here is some classifieds https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/list/category/1100/tractors/manufacturer/john-deere/model-group/420

1958 JOHN DEERE 420 at TractorHouse.com

1958 JOHN DEERE 420   For Sale Price: USD $4,250

But of course your mower adds about $800 of value. Attachments are expensive.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

No I don't think so, no titles as far as I know.

$3500 is about right. People are asking more, but that really doesn't mean anything.

Here is some classifieds https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/list/category/1100/tractors/manufacturer/john-deere/model-group/420

1958 JOHN DEERE 420 at TractorHouse.com

1958 JOHN DEERE 420   For Sale Price: USD $4,250

But of course your mower adds about $800 of value. Attachments are expensive.

I also have a never used chipper for it. 

42E2084D-3714-48F2-9C7B-0B7D5300EC8A.jpeg

4B4F030E-446B-49D9-821B-4549428CD03A.jpeg

7 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

My experience was specifically with antique cars. I did go to the tractor store to buy a battery and a part and wasn’t impressed though. It may be because I’m a women. It’s an old fashioned area. 

Darned Uppity women! (Note: SARCASM!!!!!)(Don't want any exploding heads again.)

• Haha 1

You have a 420S.......Standard (or Wheatland in the larger tractor series).

The S is not to be confused with a 420T (tricycle) with a wide front.

The Deere 20 series is kind of an island as most collectors want either a 40-50-60-70-80- or a 430, 530, 630 and so on.

The entire 20 series has rarely commanded much more than their 2 digit predecessors.

It's a nice tractor but should be wearing the yellow hood stripes.

"Common" tractor prices have been in a slump for the last 3-4 years.

4 or 5 years ago it likely would have been worth more than now.

Anyway, the 3 point and live hydraulics are good selling points but any Deere collector would know that.

You don't need any paperwork to prove you own the tractor.

FOR SALE asking prices are worthless.

I have to agree $3500 is about right.....if the tires aren't shot.

As for  trying to deal with DEALERS forget that too.

There are aren't a whole lot of dealers left who are even familiar with the two cylinder tractors much less care about them.

• Thanks 1

all tractors, motorcycles , boats etc. come with certificates of origin, which is essentially a title. A title isnt obviously needed to sell a tractor, just a bill of sale from you to the new owner is fine.

It wont be putting miles on the autobahn.

ps to everyone here on this thread- good reason to attempt to have your estate in order, so that your daughters and sons dont have to go through what VL has had to deal with for 5 years. It ends up taking a good bit of time away from one's life and rarely worth the effort, except knowing your loved ones are well cared for.

VL states that she didnt want to burden her children. I feel the same. You are a wise woman.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Victoria sorry about the situation you find your self in and I know with your perseverance  you will see your way thru.  I live in KY and when I had a farm I had a JD like yours along with a Massie and a FORD.  These tractors are used around here by hobby farmers or to do chores on larger farms.  I checked with a friend of mine who used to own a local JD dealer.  Since it has a bush hog on it that's what it was probably used for most of the time.  Some one else asked if you had any other accessories and you do have a chipper.  The more accessories the higher value.  They were and still are good tractors.  He said the value that you have been getting is accurate in this area.  To sell it he suggested starting it up and making a video.  He said that dealers can't give you anything because they probably have several on their lot.  He also suggested contacting the local 4H or FFA to see if someone needs one.

• Thanks 1

@mercer09 makes a very good point about having your estate in order. I have been very vocal about that. The cars add to a very complicated situation, especially if caregiving winds up being part of the equation like it did for me. Don’t underestimate the toll that alone takes on a person. Then add liquidating a car collection by someone unfamiliar to the collection in a rural area, many miles from your home, and it makes a difficult situation extremely hard. It’s also a financial burden when the person can not deal with all of that and also work. 

Here is a little perspective on just the toll that caregiving takes on a person. This toll continues even after someone is in a care home as there is still a lot to monitoring care, visiting your loved ones and so on. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/voices/2019/01/13/rob-lowe-caregivers-social-security-self-care-column/2539450002/

My dad and I were very unaware of the situation we would face. It’s not fun to think about and plan for, but if some of you can be better prepared for your family, then my trials and tribulations were not in vain. 

I think someone said it is a 420.  The 'C' would have meant crawler which it is not.  Looks re-painted as it should be mostly green with some yellow highlight.  I see rear wheel weights.

See if www.fastline.com is in Texas. They sell farm equipment. They are out of KY but big here in the NE.  Also try to reach out to the texas farm bureau - a local member might be able to steer you to the right folks. Good Luck and Best Wishes.

Tom

• Thanks 1

I agree, either a 420 S or U.

I've got a '59 435, but that is pretty much in a different category.  I would think that the 420's would be worth more, but upon the examples shown, $3500 does seem like a fair price.  

• Thanks 1

The prices of the old tractors around me are crazy low.  The pasture mower looks like an inexpensive one, real JD mowers are worth more.  I agree start at $3500 for the set, the mower is worth $500 and I think the tractor is in the $2500 range.  It most likely is better running than looking.  If you  wanted to put some time in painting and striping I think you could get the $3000 for the tractor.

Good Luck

Image result for jd420

• Thanks 1

VL:   You could post about how to boil water and very one would read about it.  Looks like you may be winding up some loose ends I just wish I had your fortitude I just admire what you have been through.. God must be right there with you.  Lots of love.  Mike

• Thanks 1