Fuel coming out of tank vent

48Super

OK, this problem isn't with my Buick but I think you folks can help. The  subject car here is my 1967 Cadillac but I know many Buick models of the era used a similar fuel tank arrangement.  The fuel filler pipe is located behind the license plate and comes out the rear of the tank, there is a metal vent tube located on the top front area of the tank. The vent pipe is shaped like an upside down "U" and the highest point of the "U" is 10" above the top of the tank. The problem is that immediately after shutting down the engine after a drive when the fuel level is near maximum, there is gurgling sound coming from the fuel tank and gas comes out of the tank vent. I have verified that the tank vent line, connecting hose and tank vent nipple are all clear. Also, I've installed a new correct, non-vented gas cap as the original had a leaky sealing gasket.  This car has A/C so it has a fuel bypass line connecting the fuel filter and tank.  Out of curiosity, I disconnected the line at the filter and  attached a hose to it. I blew air into the hose (lung power only) and in a short time I heard the same gurgling sound and a small amount of fuel came out of the tank vent. Based on this result, I believe the cause of my problem has something to do with this return line. What I can't understand is how pressure is being developed in this line after the engine is shut down. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who may have solved a similar problem.

Thanks!

I purchased this car last March and it has done this the whole time. I don't think it is a matter of heat causing the issue. My '65 Riviera has a similar fuel system and the muffler is right up against the front of the tank and it never gurgles or vents fuel.  I may try blocking off the return line from the fuel filter to see what affect it has. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Can you source another dual outlet gas filter and try that? 

When I changed the fuel filter, it looked like it may have been the original AC GF-149 element. The car is low mileage (45,000) and these filters haven't been made for a long time. I replaced the filter with a WIX 33039 filter which is the correct part for air conditioned cars. Although the two filters are different in construction you can tell by looking at them that they do the exact same job. Out of curiosity, I may buy a NOS GF-149 and install it to see if it helps.

Today's gasoline is more volatile than it was in 1967.  Could vapor be condensing in the vent tube and leaking out?  A few drops of fuel can make a good-sized spot on the driveway...  A full tank doesn't allow much room for expansion, which may explain why it doesn't happen when the tank is less than full?