BARN FIND HUNTER SERIES - Tom Cotter

STEVE POLLARD

New show came out today, about 22 mins long... a collector that has a 1917 Model T, '31 Chevy, '60 300F, Super Charged Franklin, 1911 McFarlan and a 1912 Kissel Kar just to name a few.... great video. At the end, they take the Kissel out for a ride.

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very interesting. I'm hoping he's kept some of those cylinders lubed over the years. At least he has one running car (and a very nice one at that.)  I told my wife that my old car stuff was very organized compared to this guy...a pretty scary thought.

Thanks for posting.

• Thanks 1

As for the hoarding thing.

This guy spent his whole life and lots of money on this collection and seems to have a lot of history on all of it that we saw.

His enjoyment is being able to know that he has it and can talk about it.

However, with how many storage units that we didn't see and HUGE piles of stuff EVERYWERE  (obviously not touched in decades)  it is mostly going to waste.

I suspect that there is a lot of stuff he has completely forgot about.

I suggest that it is time for him to figure out his future.

And I thought I was leaving my family a mess.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Had to look a bit for this photo from circa 1995.  Bob is the fellow at far left, my Dad who passed 20 years ago has the grey shop coat. We were at Bob's place in Montana to pick up a crate of wheel parts a fellow in San Diego had shipped there for us.  We, too, enjoyed a ride in the '12 KisselKar. The heavy duty truck is a late 'teens Kissel.

Interesting to see how so many people, guys particularly, settle into the same style of clothing for decades.

I remember Bob telling us some of his old car buddies used his place as an example to their wives of how their own accumulations weren't all that bad.

Bob Dad teens Kissel.jpeg

Edited by Chris Bamford (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The Kissel and the McFarlan I get 100 %. A vast collection of Tornado's not so much. His time and money.  And a great storage building. Seemingly no trouble paying for his hobby. Most of us can only dream of a fraction of this set up. Actually even if money were no object I don't think I would own 20 odd Tornado's. A great shop, decent storage building, 8 or 10 cars tops.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, that video made me a little sad.  I think a lot of us would love to have that maroon '66 Toronado, and it's just been sitting in the garage since 1971, in addition to a ton of other decent stuff.  It's his money and space, and if it makes him happy, great, but there's almost no way I'd be sitting on that many cars I didn't use.  If I own it, I'm working toward making it run and drive, or it already runs and drives. 

• Like 1

I resemble that remark. Major difference is that my rule is every car (including projects) has a garage space with a door so nothing needs to be moved to drive. Have had all out in the last few months. Just exceeded that for a while so sold a car. (Reatta convertible). Is partly a shifting of my hobby (will not have any more fabric convertibles & once all here had V8s) but then it has always been evolving (circled back on an E-type and a Corvair 'vert after a few decades without.

Do need to clean out all of the clutter when the weather gets a bit nicer & each time it is like Christmas. Do have stuff like tripowers & dual quads when I only have one car that is not FI.  May never use but is good to look at, have several FI manifolds (mechanical, not electronic) that made good speaker stands back when I could hear (antique radios make even less sense any more but do not take up much space).

Also every car here is different and has a different purpose so no duplicates. Is just a hobby to enjoy. May replace the Judge with an XLR but that is in the future. Think of it as evolution in progress.

13 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

If it was not for guys/gals/people like this. None of this stuff would still be around. I  bet he could tell you about every item he owns. Somebody will buy that Tornado, and will have a nice car. 

Does anyone know the market value of that Tornado?

Bob 

• Haha 1