Thoughts on these photo's?

The wheel and the radiator look pretty good ! If the running gear is intact and restorable that doesn't sound like a bad deal. I think I would have uncovered a little more before posting the ad, but this way it's more of a treasure hunt.

• Like 1

$0.00 would be a good deal IMHO. Unlikely anything there of "parts" value more than $200.00, so by the time someone unearths it and hauls it home and dismantles it, I'd be surprised if there is any potential to get your money back. If someone wants to make an old truck, there are lots of much better rolling chassis out there for circa $1000-$1500.

In 1978 I bought a 1928 Chevrolet Tudor 2 door thing and tried to restore it. It had a honey comb rad. The engine  was badly designed, combustion chamber in the block. Parts  for the engine are difficult to find. Too much wood in construction of body.  (Fisher)  The truck is not much better. I would not want one for free.  

If it posted on the Forum the question would be how much is this worth, I want to be sure I get every nickel, I am not going to give it away.

I just can't figure out why they waited until daylight to take the pictures.

As long as people are posting pictures like that I can justify the time I take to present an item I have for sale in an intelligent manner.

Boise, Id, huh? Mr. Potato Head's old truck?

• Haha 1

I agree, why the heck wouldn't he pull out all the parts and then list them. At this point you are purchasing a radiator and a wheel. How long has that radiator and motor been out in the weather filling with water and freezing? The entire back half of the frame could be rotted off. 

The wheel wedges would be easy to rescue, might get $3.00 each.

2 hours ago, trini said:

The engine  was badly designed, combustion chamber in the block.

??? I have never seen the combustion chamber in the block except for engines without a removable head. Am I missing something on the 171 CI chev engine?

If I remember the Chevrolet was developed by Luis Chevrolet who was a race car driver developed  overhead engine around  19 13. The underside of the head on the 1928  is totally flat except for the valves which sits over the pistons The pistons come up about an inch below the head. That is the combustion chamber. The 27 has no tappet cover. The 28 has a half baked sort of cover and leaks oil all over. These engines were called "stove bolts" because the oil pan screws were rounded slot head . The 29 was a little better because the stove bolt 6 was introduced.  Rod brakes. The crank shaft on the 4 cylinder weighed about 15 pounds. Pathetic looking thing.

The frame is good for making go carts. Forget about hot rods, It is not nice to say this but some people think because the object is old it is worth plenty. Before you decide to buy come to this forum and ask questions. There is no such a thing as a stupid question.

14 hours ago, trini said:

...The 27 has no tappet cover...

I think some of the earlier Chevrolets had no tappet/valve cover but by 1927 they had the cover.

Photo is a 1927 Chevrolet engine. Note also the single exhaust port. Most 1927 Chevrolets by now have had the head or even the entire engine exchanged for a 1928 which had two exhaust ports and better power. I understand some late 1927's came from the factory with the dual port head. 

IMG_0902.thumb.JPG.5028c2f5f863c87f0510d0cb63932da7.JPG

Don

• Like 1

Dlynskey, you are right . Some parts were inter changeable there was  no valve cover on the  27 engine I had . Just a wad of oil soaked felt. I recognise the adjuster on the ignition coil in you picture. Wooden steering wheel with steering lock.

2 hours ago, DLynskey said:

I think some of the earlier Chevrolets had no tappet/valve cover but by 1927 they had the cover.

Photo is a 1927 Chevrolet engine. Note also the single exhaust port. Most 1927 Chevrolets by now have had the head or even the entire engine exchanged for a 1928 which had two exhaust ports and better power. I understand some late 1927's came from the factory with the dual port head. 

IMG_0902.thumb.JPG.5028c2f5f863c87f0510d0cb63932da7.JPG

Don

The hot setup back in the day was to install a 3 port Oldsmobile head. Bob 

10 hours ago, trini said:

Before you decide to buy come to this forum and ask questions. There is no such a thing as a stupid question.

If people wanting to get involved in classic/vintage cars. Restored, modified or what ever. Would do just that. Their experience in the old car hobby/industry/trade would be a good one. Buying the wrong car, for what your intentions are. (the end result) makes for a really bad experience.

I’m not sure why some are so critical of the old Chev four engine design as I have found it to be a great engine comparatively speaking to other vehicles of that time and price category. Yes they leak oil and yes there are better cars from the twenties but most of them were higher end vehicles my biggest gripe with my 27 Chev would be the breaking capability or lack of as 27’s only had rear wheel mechanical brakes 28’s had 4 wheel breaks slightly better. My 27 Tourer cruises happily all day at 45 MPH and I get about 22 miles per gallon my 27 Speedster cruises at 50-55 MPH all day. I guess the one advertised could be a worthy project at the right price but being a truck it will slow. Shame we couldn’t see more in the photos. Any way that’s my 2 cents worth

Cheers Ben

• Like 2