Hershey 2019

Restorer32

28 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Builds?, it is already at warp speed here at this office!!!  Going to be a long, hard weekend.

Good thing you have weekends off! 😎

Steve, I give you guys (both male and female) a lot of credit. I'm sure you start planing for the next year on the Monday after HERSHEY. When does the A.A.C.A get access to the grounds and start setting up the A.A.C.A. tents and the space markers on the ends of the aisles and probably dozens of things we don't see? I remember the old days when every aisle had a lettered sign on each end of the aisles, I have several hanging on my garage wall. Thanks!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Tomorrow is trailer loading day, goal is to come home empty, except for the stuff I buy. Bob 

Bob,  have you had luck selling anything the last few years?   My dad used to rack in the cash,  now he' s lucky if he can cover his gas money down and back.

"Woodie",  the region members are at the field all weekend setting things up.  National starts our move in  Sunday but everyone had to dodge traffic inside the venue as there is a hockey game at the Giant Center Sunday night.  It is quite the "ballet" but everyone has been doing this a long time and has this down.  Trailers for Judge Admin all set up already and we are busy like all of you packing our three trailers.

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

Bob,  have you had luck selling anything the last few years?   My dad used to rack in the cash,  now he' s lucky if he can cover his gas money down and back.

You can only sell your good stuff once.

Tell me you have some great early unusual spark plugs and I'll see you first.

Terry

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

There was a time many years ago were Hershey paid for itself AND the lost time at work. Every year is a crap shoot selling and finding, but it is my favorite week of the year. Lost  an old Hershey friend last week at the age of 83, another spirit that will be with us every year. Bob 

• Like 1

i go for the comraderie/comradery;)

not much to buy, but pick up things of interest or tools that i use or need. mainly walk around talk to friends from AACA & VCCA, plus all the local friends from our local AACA Chapter here that go up. and make new friends i meet there.  This year was the first year i went up to Carlisle in April, did not KNOW anyone when i went, now know people since i went.

all for the experience and environment, a day or to walking the field then maybe a 1/2 day at the show looking at cars, then drive home.

At the risk of ruffling some feathers I feel compelled to chime in my 2 cents on the buying/selling topic. The buyers are still there, they come every year from all over the US and the world and they are there to buy. I think the key, at least for me is selling at a fair price. I see far too many vendors out there asking 2X or more what the market will pay. Buyers know what they want, what things are worth and what they are willing to pay. If I have an item that has a median value of $100, I'll tag it at $120, that lets the buyer dicker me down to $100 and we both part ways happy. If the buyer sees the same part marked at $200 he's going to drop it like it's burning his fingers. If that happens more than a few times I know I've got it marked too high.

If other vendors feel the need to price high to maximize their profits that's fine with me, it sends more traffic over to my spaces and ends up backfiring on them. I have a friend that does this very thing and he carries the same overpriced stuff from swap meet to swap meet with its sun faded tags all the while complaining of low sales. Not my idea of a successful swap meet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, pkhammer said:

At the risk of ruffling some feathers I feel compelled to chime in my 2 cents on the buying/selling topic. The buyers are still there, they come every year from all over the US and the world and they are there to buy. I think the key, at least for me is selling at a fair price. I see far too many vendors out there asking 2X or more what the market will pay. Buyers know what they want, what things are worth and what they are willing to pay. If I have an item that has a median value of $100, I'll tag it at $120, that lets the buyer dicker me down to $100 and we both part ways happy. If the buyer sees the same part marked at $200 he's going to drop it like it's burning his fingers. If that happens more than a few times I know I've got it marked too high.

If other vendors feel the need to price high to maximize their profits that's fine with me, it sends more traffic over to my spaces and ends up backfiring on them. I have a friend that does this very thing and he carries the same overpriced stuff from swap meet to swap meet with its sun faded tags all the while complaining of low sales. Not my idea of a successful swap meet.

You either want to sell something or you don't. 

• Like 2

I'll admit that I will over-pay for something I really need.

But if you've got a pitted old Model A wheel to sell and think someone's going to fight you to own it, guess again. You need to know when to cut something loose just to be rid of it.

Or maybe some sellers are like some buyers--they just like the haggling, not the actual transaction. They don't care if it sells, they just enjoy squabbling like the camel peddlers in a mid-east bazaar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't want to bring any of my stuff home, I brought it to Hershey to dump and spend whatever I get on stuff I need. If some haggler spends 3-4 minutes inspecting something and puts it down and starts to leave I'll ask him to make an offer. They always offer half or less than you wanted. I ALWAYS accept their offer, the expressions are priceless, and now they have to come up with the $10. or $15. dollars they offered, guess they have to pass on lunch. Bob 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, pkhammer said:

I think you're correct, I've sold the last 6 or 8 years or so at Hershey, before that hit and miss before retiring,  due to work.  I always sell a couple thousand dollars worth of stuff, but virtually no sales above fair market value, and some below just to get the stuff out of my way. I try to price fairly, and I'm polite but say no to the people who offer pennies on the dollar.  I've even taken something back from a would be buyer's hands and thrown in a box saying "not for sale now", because at some point low ball offers become insulting, and to me that's not the fun of such a market...I'll have a bunch of stuff this year too, at fair prices, but I'm in a position to tKe it all home if I wish.  Respect for buyers and sellers should be the way we work....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If you need a beak or the weather is not cooperating be sure to check out the Black Swan Antiquities mall on 61 W Front St in nearby Palmyra PA. It’s just a block off Rt 422, use Railroad St to Front St.  Entrance is  in the rear of the building.  The Swan has a booth of items from the AACA library that they do the space for free for the library and many of the mall vendors will be bringing in automotive items during the Hershey show.  The mall is open seven days from 10am to 5pm and will have LATER hours, until 7 pm I believe during the Hershey show.

David Coco you stated that perfectly - at some point the low ball offers definitely become insulting.

Yes, we all want to part with some things, it is why we bring them, so we can possibly add some things we find or just because we don't "need" the things we bring any longer. Some buyers have the attitude that they are doing you a favor by buying what you have that they in fact really want. Huh? And yes there have been people that want to buy something that are just downright annoying.

Some years ago I found over 100 NOS hand operated turn signals that bolted to the windshield frame of a touring car or sedan . they were in the loft of a garage that was a 10 minute walk from my house. they were all in the original box which had the instructions printed on the outside and dated from about 1924. I created a cowl and cut down a poor windshield frame of that era to mount one on so people could try it out and had them for sale. One fellow from Belgium bought 10 of them because he told me if he bought one for himself and didn't bring any home for his car friends they would have been mad at him! BUT there was one couple who insisted that I cut open one of the sealed boxes to prove to them that the turn signal inside was indeed NOS and in perfect condition so they could "make an offer". this was all said with a straight face and they were serious. I told them that it was sealed shut at the factory over 90 years ago and that would be the way it would remain until the next person owned it. I just got a blank stare, then they just shook their heads and acted like I was crazy and walked away in a huff. A fellow from the HET Club booth which was only about 30 feet away from us was standing there while this was going on, after they left he said " I will buy a sealed one if you please" with a big smile. For the rest of the few days of the flea market every time he walked by or we caught each others eye we just smiled and shook our heads. It takes a lot of patience to have a booth at a flea market .

I will have some good pre WWII era stuff with me again this year, Red Field in the NE corner , RNG 10 & 11 - I park there and set up directly  across the isle under my bro in laws tent corner . Hope to see you there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A good friend and Hershey vendor passed away last week at the age of 83. At his wake his sister was telling me how much he enjoyed Hershey. He always had a few gems every year and some guy made him a low ball offer on something. He would come back every day with the same offer. Finally on the last day the guy showed up and offered the full asking price. Too bad, it was packed and no longer for sale.

Bob 

• Like 2

We were absolutely blown away by how much we sold last year. Several folks from the west coast and several from overseas bought nearly every 50's/60's Chevy and GM part that we had. We bought all day Tuesday and didn't even set up till about 2pm but sold every single porcelain sign that we had brought with us by 6 pm Tuesday night! People seem to go crazy over mediocre petroleum collectibles in Hershey. There are at least 2 men I know of that just slowly drive through the rows all day Tuesday and fill their sprinter vans with petro for online auctions they hold later in the year. A lot of items that had already had a go around in previous Hershey years past also got sold too which is always encouraging to see. Sadly we had some really great pre-war parts that didn't even get touched.  The 2 years previous we had brought some well preserved 1920's Packard cowls and other great sheet metal but stopped because nobody even really noticed them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I don't want to bring any of my stuff home, I brought it to Hershey to dump and spend whatever I get on stuff I need. If some haggler spends 3-4 minutes inspecting something and puts it down and starts to leave I'll ask him to make an offer. They always offer half or less than you wanted. I ALWAYS accept their offer, the expressions are priceless, and now they have to come up with the $10. or $15. dollars they offered, guess they have to pass on lunch. Bob 

I enjoy that, too, but with cars. "Oh, wait, I didn't, I mean, well, you see, I have to go ask my wife, and, well, you know, can you wait, but let's, um, wait, let's just do something, I mean..."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I enjoy that, too, but with cars. "Oh, wait, I didn't, I mean, well, you see, I have to go ask my wife, and, well, you know, can you wait, but let's, um, wait, let's just do something, I mean..."

I hauled a 1929 Ford Roadster Pickup project to Hershey years ago, and accepted an offer from a guy I sort of knew on Wednesday. He kept coming back to check on things but still hadn't come up with the money. Finally on Friday morning I followed him back to his spot and asked him eye to eye if he was going to pay me?  Wife wouldn't let him buy it...………………..Dragged it all the way home and swapped it to a local Hot Rodder for 1989 Chevy my daughter wanted for her first car. Must be a ton of stories on the professional level, names of cars and the people involved would have to be changed to protect the integrity of the automobile involved. 

Bob 

• Like 1

The type of parts you sell certainly does make a difference. I mostly deal in Model A up thru war era Fords. Popular stuff that sells well. On the other hand I can see where Packard parts might not find a buyer as quickly. Great cars but not as plentiful and that equals less buyers walking by. I helped a friend liquidate some '41 Cadillac and Hudson step-down era parts when he decided to downsize and while the Caddy parts moved pretty well, the Hudson stuff not as much. I still have 4 dr window int. garnish moldings, NOS front fender stone shields, a generator and a starter that I will bring to Hershey and sell CHEAP if anybody needs them. See my parts for sale ad.

13 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

The "I have to ask the wife" phrase is the death knell right then and there.

More sad is the MEN don't have the guts to come back and let you know one way or the other........ :angry:

I don't put much energy toward the guy who shows up at the flea market spot with his wife and three kids (two in strollers). They will never buy... Now the lone guy who shows up in the rain with a garbage bag over his head... Now there is the buyer I want.

Frank

3 minutes ago, oldford said:

Now the lone guy who shows up in the rain with a garbage bag over his head... Now there is the buyer I want.

Not all venders are there to sell. Took a friend to a vender that had the bakelite parts for the center of a 30 Cadillac steering wheel on a rainy morning that I had seen the day before. Knocked on the motor home door and was told he does not sell when it is raining. I never understood because he had large tent with everything was inside and dry?  

22 minutes ago, oldford said:

I don't put much energy toward the guy who shows up at the flea market spot with his wife and three kids (two in strollers). They will never buy... Now the lone guy who shows up in the rain with a garbage bag over his head... Now there is the buyer I want.

Frank

I've got a nice rain suit this year, were is your new spot? Bob