WI73

Can anyone ID this vehicle

Found this car on our property but no identifiable tags or serials.IMG_0775.jpg.2f3baa5b4191991ede02071edf4d0c31.jpgIMG_0778.jpg.9894fa5a9b91fd561d62003970ae0a85.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

20190615_172758.jpg

This purports to be a 1926 Dodge Brothers. The dash is quite different.

image.thumb.png.76a5cab7d8ab90eb0431ced6dae6977b.png

I bow and concede to my betters.  Kudos to Spinneyhill, Stude17 and last but certainlynot least Keiser31.

I thought the gas tank on 1924 Overland was mounted into a big oval hole in the firewall??

6 hours ago, Tinindian said:

I bow and concede to my betters.  Kudos to Spinneyhill, Stude17 and last but certainlynot least Keiser31.

Tinindian the way I look at is every post generally adds something of value and we all misidentify vehicles from time to time.  If I remember correctly I recently  identified a Chev 490 as an Overland Model 91 and I know both vehicles reasonably well.  Your posts are always well received.

Are there two different cars in the OP's post?

The last picture appears to show an entirely different car, with more parts and in much better condition than the preceding 5 pictures.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GregLaR said:

The last picture appears to show an entirely different car, with more parts and in much better condition than the preceding 5 pictures.

Looks like the same car to me. Look closely to see that the rear panel under the window has the same marks on it in both photos of it. Just straightened in the last photo of it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Same vehicle after a full frame off restoration, registered and fuelled up ready to go.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you all for your posts. I was leaning towards both dodge and willys after looking at endless pictures. I'm not experienced with the older cars so I very much appreciate your knowledge on the subject. I was leaning towards dodge because of only two hinges in the doors mostly before I saw this site and decided to post. The initial pictures are after my wife and I stood it up when we found it in the back of our lot crushed by a tree. I had to take it out in pieces and did the best I could on getting it straight and upright initially. I'm doing more permanent repairs now, but it will never be more than yard art. Almost everything below the doors is gone including most of the doors, and everything from the firewall forward is gone as well.

Edited by WI73 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I was able to find some photos of the one serial number we could find on the steering box. it appears to be a 51 over 60367. I'm not sure if that helps to firm up any ideas on identifying it.

IMG_1245.jpg

IMG_1247.jpg

Edited by WI73 (see edit history)

56 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

That is actually the steering box I think.

I agree that it is a steering box but it doesn't belong to the Overland.

Im not convinced the Yard Art is the same as the Willys mentioned due to the Willys has no cowl vent door & the Yard Art does...

Fire Wall design looks different also ............ Id like to see the entire steering  box ... Mounting point mostly

Agree with DE SOTO. I do not think the body is Willy's Overland, the firewall design is wrong and the Willy's does not appear to have a cowl vent.

Below is a picture of a 1923/5 Overland with the big hole in the firewall for mounting the gas tank

Viv

1923 Willys

2 hours ago, viv w said:

Agree with DE SOTO. I do not think the body is Willy's Overland, the firewall design is wrong and the Willy's does not appear to have a cowl vent.

Below is a picture of a 1923/5 Overland with the big hole in the firewall for mounting the gas tank

Viv

1923 Willys

It is not a DeSoto - they didn't appear until 1928 - with quite different styling to the mystery car. It dates from a few years earlier - 1924-25-26.

16 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

It is not a DeSoto - they didn't appear until 1928 - with quite different styling to the mystery car. It dates from a few years earlier - 1924-25-26.

Nobody said it was a "DeSoto". That is the guy's avatar name.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I stand by my identification of the remains as a circa 1924 Overland Model 91 sedan 100%.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Stude17 said:

I stand by my identification of the remains as a circa 1924 Overland Model 91 sedan 100%.

I agree. Here is one with that dashboard. That cowl "vent" looks more like it was added later to me on the car in question.

1924 Willys Overland.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, keiser31 said:

I agree. Here is one with that dashboard. That cowl "vent" looks more like it was added later to me on the car in question.

1924 Willys Overland.jpg

Good shot of the dash Keiser.  The below link is a video of  a 1924 Model 91 Overland sedan which clearly shows the cowl vent.  As far as I am aware these vents were only on enclosed cars and not the tourers.  As for the fuel tank the early models did have cowl mounted tanks but later ones had a rear mounted tank and used a vacuum tank.  The tank was mounted under  extensions to the rear chassis and as the remains in question has no chassis I would expect it is a rear mounted tank model.  The ribbing shown on the cowl supports this as it is exactly the same as my 1925 model 91 tourer which has the vacuum tank and the rear mounted tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmMlGtO9w0k

• Thanks 1