Sign in to follow this  
Matthew Cody

Affordable ABS Brake Accumulator replacement

Posted (edited)

This might be old news for some, but I replaced the original accumulator on my 91 with 46K as part of the ABS system maintenance. As we all know these have a shelf life of 10 years or 120K. My car is nearly 30 years old (2/90 build date) so it's way overdue. Doing some research, the AC Delco part 25528382 is NLA and the Jaguar part JLM1907 is ridiculously overpriced. A little research later I found that the Wabco STC2784 Accumulator is a direct fit and costs shy of $200. It's for Land Rover/Range Rovers and are readily available. The Reatta guys have been using it for a while with no ill effects. I installed it on my 91 this past weekend. Performs great. Before, every time I'd start the car the red "BRAKE" and ABS lights would stay on for about 30 seconds and the pump would run for a while until the system built pressure. Now, even after multiple trips and the red "BRAKE" light doesn't even illuminate and the ABS light comes on for the customary system check and goes off. Very happy with the results. The accumulator is slightly larger then stock but fits snugly. Also performed a brake flush, which I'll probably do again since it had never been done before. 

https://www.amazon.com/Wabco-Land-Rover-STC2784-Accumulator/dp/B01GURVBAE

absacc.jpg

Edited by Matthew Cody (see edit history)
  • Like 1

For those who need an accumulator, I endorse this statement and the purchase of such an accumulator.

I've got an unused AC Delco unit that I don't need. Asking $150 shipped. Contact me at ny72satellite@yahoo.com

Thanks, Mike

accumulator2.jpg