Hearshey weather

LI_BENTLEY

2 hours ago, LI_BENTLEY said:

What is the weather going to be?  Been looking at extended forecasts  and they are all over the place.

Extended forecasts are only educated guesses.

Don't rely on them.  Forecasts of 2 to 3 days forward

can be better relied upon.

For general expectations, this prior thread is useful:

I am going with Accuweather.  I have found that in almost all cases they are closer to the mark than others.  I use this often for our events.  Besides, i like their forecast for  Hershey better than the others so I am sticking with them! :)   Drove by the showfield this morning and they were setting up....almost here!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When there was a Blue flea market field ( yes, this was decades ago, I first attended Hershey in 1965 before a lot of people reading this were born 😯) where the roller coasters are now, Austin Clark had a few spaces for the motor home he drove down in . It was a stopping place for friends, to rest and get some refreshment ( high octane variety was available , but no one said anything) and I do recall the 90 degree temperature and also slight snow showers (!) all within several days of each other. He and his friends ( me included) would take turns to go and sell the sets of post cards he would bring to offer and had set up on a card table. My good friends Phil Dumka of Mass. and John Conde of Mi. along with Jim Bradley were in the same field. Heck , at one time it was the only field. I recall giving a talk to the CCCA crowd that were at their spaces in the Blue Field and right after that met a couple who came to listen and became fast friends - Ken and Mermie Karger of the RROC. They soon afterwards asked if they could drive up from their home in Pa. and  come visit me here on long island to look over some stuff in my library/archives and did so . Wonderful people , wonderful time - still IS!

As Restorer 32 points out, prepare for anything. This is our 51st year and have seen it all from being roasted in shorts and T shirts to a record of 9.5 inches of rain in 2013. It's not about us, it's the vendors that weather affects the most, especially the literature venders. As for long range forecasts don't even waist your time, HERSHEY has it's own weather. I have, framed on my garage wall, the weather map from the USA Today newspaper, the year it rained 9.5 inches. The entire country is clear except a dime sized, unmoving, rainstorm directly over the Harrisburg/HERSHEY area! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Extended forecasts are only educated guesses.

Don't rely on them.  Forecasts of 2 to 3 days forward

can be better relied upon.

John, I agree 110%.

When it does get closer the BEST forecast I have found is Weather Underground Forecast for Hershey, PA.

Weather Underground (WU) has been VERY accurate consistently when it comes to forecasts. I was at both Auburn and Parsippany this year and their forecast was DEAD ON Correct. They called the storm that came through Auburn the Saturday Evening of the GN and  the storm in Parsippany around 5 pm that Saturday of the National.

BTW, last year my friends and I walked the fields on Thursday in the rain. Actually good memories. I bought one of the Hershey Region Umbrellas (VERY reasonable cost) and it work well. Still have it and will bring it with me this year.

Hershey is Therapeutic,  for mind and body. 

Just bring  clothing for any kind of weather.

Money too.

And ENJOY

This year will be 56 years in a row, my grand sons  with birthdays on 10th and 14th know we will celebrate them again when I show up.

If you are looking for info for-"Hearshey weather" you certainly won't find what you are searching for.  However, if it's a weather report for HERSHEY PA, you'll be delighted. The week looks good, according to the professional weather forecasters.    However, I've discovered around here why weather forecasting is such a chancy business.  We are proud to have one of the National Weather centers located very near us.  Those big round radar domes are certainly impressive.  However, I couldn't help but notice there are ABSOLUTELY NO WINDOWS on the building!  So, when it's raining outside, and the weather-guessers tell me it's only partly cloudy, it's obvious they are not looking out the windows.  They can't!

For Hershey, that's pretty much how I approach the whole subject. I look out the window and see what's happening.  It does not hold me back in it is raining.  In fact, Thursday last year, in the rain, I made some of my best discoveries.   Bring it on!

I was there in '76, year of the BIG MUD, tornado warnings, flooding, etc.  It's the stuff good memories and stories are made from.  Let me tell you about the time I sold mud at Hershey!  

I wouldn't miss it for anything-even the weather.

Terry

I was ten years old.........we couldn’t pull our wagons due to the mud........no pay that year. We sat on the top of the hill in the blue field on an overturned steel oil drum that was the apple barrel for the Hershey region. We found it highly entertaining  watching the adults fall down in the ankle deep mud on the hill. Amazing what a ten year old finds find funny. Learned most of our swear words that year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Snow at Hershey time would be extremely rare.

(It would be rare even in northern Pennsylvania.)

If it did occur, it would melt almost immediately.

I had to brush snow off my 1941 Cadillac in 2012 before driving it to the show field Saturday morning. I thought it was awesome simply because that old car started instantly in 28-degree weather and the heater worked just fine! But yes, by noon, it was 60 degrees and everything was good again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

I think now you have to go to spectator parking to find mud.  

Kinda off topic, but this last April was the first time in about 6 years that I didn't have to have my motor coach and trailer hauled out of the mud in my space at the Portland International Raceway meet.

(part of the Portland swap meet).

The track supplies the tow truck for free as this is quite common.

I keep the tow drivers phone number in the coach and tip him well. I get pretty good service that way.

I see no one has been mentioning the weather.  Looking at the most recent forecast,  I can see why.  No matter what you use, the weather channel, Accuweather or wunderground,  it looks like rain or possibility of and no sun for Wednesday and Thursday. 

Boy I wish I could have last weeks forecast instead.  Buying paper is hard in the rain.  As well as cars. 

• Like 1

I'm not going to worry about the Weather, Rain or Shine I'll be there. However, I feel for the Undercarriage Judges that have to get down under the car. One thing I always do is when I remove the rubber floor mats to expose the carpet,  I put the mats down on the ground at the door sills so he can neal down on them and keep his pants dry........until the next car.  

Seems wunderground and the weather channel already upgraded it to better weather.  

That's a good thing as the wife and 5 year old daughter will not be amused to trudge through the rain for 3 days at something they aren't super happy to be going to in the first place.  Just packed clothes for everything and then some. We'll keep our finger's crossed. 

It’s been going back and forth, but even in the worse case, they were predicting .12 inches on Wednesday and .02 inches of Thursday, now changed to none on Thursday and 40 percent of .08 on Wednesday. Most likely a slight drizzle or sprinkles. They also say “spotty showers”. I’m not concerned.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Don't be afraid of talking about the weather!

Certainly, everyone talks about the weather.

Do the water droplets in the sky cluster together

because they hear people speaking?  Does the

atmospheric pressure cause higher wind speed

because car fans want to know the forecast?

Does God, who beneficently creates the weather,

punish people for helpfully telling out-of-state visitors

what to expect in Pennsylvania in October?

May we all have a wonderful Hershey.

• Like 1