Where will you be at Hershey?

Matt Harwood

Every year I make a list of where everyone will be in hopes that I'll be able to get around and meet some people face-to-face and renew some friendships. Once again, this year we will be in the car corral, spaces B67-B69, which is just a little bit downhill from the main crosswalk over to the show field. Please come see us if you're walking around looking at cars. We'll have the following cars in our spaces, so hopefully it's worth the walk:

Sixteen1d.thumb.jpg.2c0bec52b4299e1e318c06d9613122ee.jpg

Roadmaster1.thumb.jpg.31d8804a76cbe4456a9b06a092e6da11.jpg

001.thumb.JPG.64539a52993b35cfc64f813c73cb9b9a.JPG

See you there!

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Nice Eye candy.

I'll be shopping throughout the flea market and atleast a few times through the car corral since i have a little money burning a hole in my pocket and winter is very long in upstate NY.  Unfortunately on the lower end than your beautiful cars but maybe somewhere between the bottom and your tier. 

Matt, Thanks for starting this annual thread. It is so nice to be able to go to one spot to find out where everyone will be and when.

As usual, I will be walking the fields all day Thursday & Friday with friends looking for Parts & Literature, visiting with friends and making new ones. Saturday I will have my DPC car on the show field along with visiting with friends and making new ones.

On 10/1/2019 at 4:44 PM, 1937hd45 said:

What is the story behind that top? Bob

You'll have to come see me and look at it and find out...

Actually, this car does have a fantastic story. It is a 1932 Marmon Sixteen with custom coachwork by Waterhouse. It is one of two built on an extended 154-inch chassis (standard Marmon wheelbase was 145 inches), both ordered by Ezra Paralee Prentice: a 7-passenger touring with a folding top for himself and this 7-passenger touring with a fixed "California" top for his wife, Alta. Alta, of course, just happened to be John D. Rockefeller's daughter. The car has had just three owners: Alta, Bill Harrah, and the fellow from whose estate I acquired it, and it shows just 55,000 or so original miles. It has a freshly rebuilt all-aluminum 491 cubic inch V16 engine, including a fresh set of re-cast Edelbrock aluminum heads ($10,000 each). Otherwise, it is mostly original, including the interior, although I believe Harrah's repainted it in the '70s. I had it out for a drive today and it runs and drives surprisingly well, with light steering and fantastic brakes. It's a little bit dirty from sitting in storage for the past year or so, but it will sparkle at Hershey. Michael is already on it.

So come see it--I promise it's worth the walk!

Sixteen1b.thumb.jpg.9e5a7ea8cc456179a12269d74692fb06.jpgSixteen1c.thumb.jpg.ad0b36fd24ad53fea70709b66df289ad.jpg

Sixteen-2.thumb.jpg.bb466b71e1fdbc95e4321d7a1114153c.jpgSIxteen-3.thumb.jpg.c62ea7f774b8c4121ebb172656cc6142.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Where will I be at Hershey???

Good question, because this year , due to Hershey Construction, I am told

(we will see Tuesday morning, October 8th).... that there is construction equipment parked in my regular spots -- R C C 96 - 98.... Right on the corner of the Red Field --- looking straight ahead at Chocolate World's front doors...

Instead, I am right down the "block" at. R C C 74 - 76.......

With the MOST AWESOME display of NEW and N.O.S. parts for cars from the 1930s -- to -- the 1970s.... I dare say....

I know I am old, fat, and ugly; but my parts are GORGEOUS !!!!!

A must stop by --- R C C 74 - 76 --- it is worth it, just to get and have my phone number -- and it is FREE.....

Yours, Craig, Mobile Parts -- 516 - 485 - 1935.....

( I am at Fall Carlisle now --- I L 78 - 80; middle of the Infield -- I, row L,

Hence I L -- spots 78 - 80.....)

Matt.......I drove that V-16 probably before you were born!  Didn’t know my old friend passed away............he was very kind to a young teen who admired his car at a CCCA Grand Classic. I told him it was the best car on the field, and I had a photo of it on my wall since I was seven years old. One of those special events in a young persons life that alters their future. 👍

Find me at C4Y 1-3. Bringing lots of Model A Ford parts a '33-'34 truck cowl, '55 Cadillac front sheetmetal, grille, deck lid and trim, Desoto Hemi heads, some signs and lots of other great stuff. Looking to make deals and come home with an empty trailer! Look for the Model A Doodlebug!

IMG_20181009_150459.jpg

19 hours ago, alsancle said:

I assume you have a copy of the Sept 85 Harrah's auction catalog?

I do, indeed. In fact, I have a rather substantial file full of Harrah's goodies, including a complete set of factory service bulletins. Motoringicons remembers the car from when he was working there, too.

I went out into the shop yesterday when I was working on other cars and started it and just listened to it run for a few minutes. Like a symphony.

I have decided that I need to own a Marmon Sixteen, even if it's an awful brown 7-passenger sedan, which is the only one I may ever come close to being able to afford. What an unbelievable car!