Collector's Item - 1993 Plymouth Sundance

ZoharR

One of a kind, original condition 1993 Plymouth Sundance. Only driven 180KMs. Becomes vintage in 2023. Everything factory original.

Relative bought from an estate sale, and his wife wants him to sell now instead of in a few years. $20,000.

Call/text 416.638.4700

IMG_2341.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

Ownership.PNG

IMG_2346.jpg

IMG_2345.jpg

IMG_2344.jpg

IMG_2343.jpg

IMG_2342.jpg

Edited by ZoharR (see edit history)

None taken; I appreciate the earnest feedback. My friend is confident someone is willing to pay a premium for the car, and I cannot override him, but I’ll pass on the message. 

Some of his research is based on willing buyers in Latvia and a couple of other European countries. 

Car is in beautiful condition, with incredibly low miles from a maker that no longer exists. It's already considered an "antique car" in my state. That being said, many vintage car buyers will ask themselves: "What else can I buy for $20,000?"

At that point, the exceptionally low mileage (which, in my opinion, is probably the only reason this car is priced like it is) starts to fade in comparison to other factors. I've been lusting after an all original lime green '69 base Cougar on the Harwood Motors site. It has 60+k miles on it, and is only a couple of thousand dollars more. Much higher mileage, but still low miles and  visually awesome.

I very much hope you sell the car for that price...it really is a great car. I wonder if these NPD guys might be interested? Their whole theme is low mileage unrestored originals, and they don't just do muscle cars and Classics, from what I've seen on Dennis Gage's channel.

Mr. Seller, to get any premium for an ultra-low-mileage

car, you'll need some documentation that it really is correct,

and hasn't been set back.  Such documentation could be

repair or inspection receipts over many years--anything

that shows the mileage progressing very slowly.

Any car is a part of automotive history, and a nice survivor

such as this should be preserved.  However, many cars,

though "antique," do not have a following by collectors.

Indeed, many beautiful 1970's cars see only small demand.

This 1993 Plymouth sedan only has some collector value

due to its low mileage, and I think even then the demand

would be modest.  Someone might buy it to use as a

regular driver and consider it a nice-condition used car,

but it would be nice to see it preserved for future decades.

The WPC Club (Walter P. Chrysler) has a magazine, and

advertising in there would put you in touch with dedicated

Chrsyler-product collectors.  The magazine Hemmings

Motor News and its accompanying website reach the most

dedicated hobbyists, and that is a good place too.  But if the

asking price is unreasonable, the demand will be zero for

even the nicest car.

If you can document the mileage, you might try for $7000.

(Maybe that itself is too high.)  If the mileage is undocumented,

perhaps $3500.  You can see how far out of bounds $20,000 is!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ZoharR said:

That makes sense. I’ll push for a reconsideration of price locally if I cannot confirm the Latvian offer as legitimate. 

You probably know how to watch out for scams.

Electronic transfers of funds to your account

seem to be, in the opinion of many people here,

the best choice for distant sales.  Never use

Western Union, people say.

European buyers certainly may be interested in

American cars, and I hope you have success.

Scams ? I am a born paranoid. Some of you will accuse me of suffering hallucinations, but I think you are all robots. Please prove you are not by identifying any/all Classic cars below, and the one "Collector car".    -   Crazy as a loon,   -   Cadillac Carl 

CB6AEE6C-61F9-4D0C-81A4-ADCDC1D14DA6.jpeg

98F33753-8855-4490-8AC3-6AF0F350FE0E.jpeg

F93277A2-35AF-46F1-87C6-0F158223DF15.jpeg

20C43A6D-3E13-45D2-B4FB-DEDAC612B5DC.jpeg

Oh, another thought, ZoharR : A good way to get an approximate sale value for a car, is to look up comparable recent prices of cars which have ACTUALLY SOLD. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.................        What did relative pay for this one out of the estate sale ?   -   Carl 

Latvia? Really? Why not meet someone in Albania at midnight. I say, try autoshite.com to see what they say, they are mostly blokes in the UK who collect cheap, no longer valuable econoboxes like diesel Talbots and Peugeots, Vauxhalls and Cortinas. They generally won't go over 500 euros, though. Seriously, Europeans pay more for American collector cars than Americans do, but this is a depreciating asset not yet vintage. Maybe you could sell it for a little more money in Sweden or Holland, but it would cost you $2 to $4K just to ship it there. If you could find a Chrysler dealer in your province they might be interested, but would base everything on the official Kelley's Blue Book Value, which is in a range from $1,189 to $2,658 USD. Maybe you could advertise it for a few months to find someone crazy about low-mileage cars. I remember a 1984 Dodge Rampage offered for sale much like yours, with 50 or 100 miles on it. They asked for a lot, too, hoping to find someone who wanted a brand-new 25-year-old car. I never heard if it sold...but it was definitely worth more than a 25-year-old worn-out car.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

C Carl:

---- Special Edition '76 Eldorado "Last Convertible" Collector Car.[Cadillac]

---- 1 of several V-12 & V-16 cars built by the company whose current brand is the No. 1 seller in South Africa and the U.K., can't remember😕 the automaker name😉, but they built bicycles and laundry equipment going back to 1865. This example was taken out on Muroc Dry Lake and went over 100 mph. Only driven from Ohio to California and back, and to Saratoga Springs & back for a honeymoon....[Peerless]

---- Type 57-something made by that Italian guy in Alsace-Lorraine, still made, kind of, so maybe you can still get spare parts for it...[Bugatti]

---- Not a Siegfried Marcus Car. Made by that carmaker that's famous for making the 2nd gasoline powered car as far back as 1885. Still a pretty-good car, worth more than the building behind it. [Mercedes-Benz]

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

It’s about $15k in USD, assuming the asking price is Canadian dollars.  Certainly not a car with high desirability at this time and not for the foreseeable future either.  As others have said, lots of competition from more sought after cars for that amount of money.

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/30/2019 at 1:55 PM, ZoharR said:

... My friend is confident someone is willing to pay a premium for the car, and I cannot override him, but I’ll pass on the message. 

Some of his research is based on willing buyers in Latvia and a couple of other European countries. 

I wonder how this turned out.

Was someone in Europe or Latvia really willing

to pay $20,000 for this car?  I tend to think their

tastes would be toward older antiques, much like

Sweden's love of 1950's American cars, but let's

wait and hear---

I would say it turned out exactly as everyone here knew it would right after reading the OP's listing.

There is no hiding the simple fact that this was an entry level, disposable transportation vehicle with zero redeeming qualities but for the low mileage.

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)