keithb7

'38 Plymouth Hood Lock Open System

Hi Folks my 1938 Plymouth does not have any of the parts that holds open the split hoods. It seems to me there must have been some type of mechanism to hold the left or right hood halves open.

Does anyone have any pics they could post here so I can see what is supposed to be there? I am going to post in the parts wanted section, however some pics would be a great help.

Thanks, Keith

Benefits of AACA Membership.

It looks like you already got the help you needed. I’m still in search of a good 1930 Plymouth model 30u hood and radiator shell thanks. 

I went out to my shop to compare my ‘38 Plymouth. Seems like the Plymouth would have been different than the Dodge pic seen above. I don’t see remnants of a mount that may have been there. 

9E955679-7472-4CFB-883F-60027F93C0C2.jpeg

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)

I referenced my 1938 Chrysler Corporation  preliminary parts book. Dated Jan 1 1938. There is no illustration for the hood and related parts. See pic here of parts listed in my book for “Hood Support”.  The D8 Dodge, S5 Desoto, C18, C19, C20 Chryslers only show parts listed. Nothing for P5, P6 (my car) D9 or D10. 

I’m still learning the ways of these old Mopar parts books. Does preliminary refer to an “early, unfinished” edition? Perhaps a later parts book would be more complete?

DAB7F5C8-E496-4714-B384-63BA8BB18C71.jpeg

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)

Preliminary is an early release for the dealers who need to look up parts for new models.  They usually do not include all the parts used in the car, that would be issued later. Usually includes all the part numbers for things that are new for that model year.

Hello,  I you want to use non factory hood props the street rod people sell a universal hood prop kit for about $35.  I have them on 3 of my early Mopar cars.  They are easy to install with no holes.   You can find them in their catalogs or online

• Like 1