Headlight Lens Mystery

Paul McQueen

5 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

If it is automotive it is one of the many accessory lens's sold in the early 1920's . Almost certainly not O.E.M. for a specific make and model.

It is indeed an aftermarket lens for a vehicle headlamp. There were many flower-like patterns. A lot of them have turned purple over the years due to the chemicals used to make them.... maybe lead.

8 hours ago, keiser31 said:

It is indeed an aftermarket lens for a vehicle headlamp. There were many flower-like patterns. A lot of them have turned purple over the years due to the chemicals used to make them.... maybe lead.

How well does it work?  Seems like it would diffuse the light quite a bit.

11 hours ago, keiser31 said:

That would make one huge dome light. I used to have some similar items that came with early auto headlamps.

As I stated, a full size car with a larger interior where that amount light would be needed to illuminate it at night.  Assuming the nickel or chrome frame around it would cover an inch of it all around, 7" diameter  may not be out of line for a ceiling-mounted dome light; especially in a coach-built car where it would have been a 'decorative' item in addition to being functional.

Craig

I have seen similar patterns on a few car headlights. this is about the size for a Saxson, Hudson, or many of the smaller cars.  Fords had 7" openings in their headlights.

The size would be something like 8 1/8" X 7"

I have never seen a 7 inch dome light, most are under 3 1/2" and frosted.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 8E45E said:

As I stated, a full size car with a larger interior where that amount light would be needed to illuminate it at night.  Assuming the nickel or chrome frame around it would cover an inch of it all around, 7" diameter  may not be out of line for a ceiling-mounted dome light; especially in a coach-built car where it would have been a 'decorative' item in addition to being functional.

Craig

I have a 143 inch wheelbase Pierce Arrow, doesn't get much bigger or more high end than that, and the dome light is nowhere near that size.

Never seen a dome light that size in any full sized classic, either.

But you're right, something that big would definitely light up the entire passenger compartment.

2 hours ago, zepher said:

I have a 143 inch wheelbase Pierce Arrow, doesn't get much bigger or more high end than that, and the dome light is nowhere near that size.

Never seen a dome light that size in any full sized classic, either.

But you're right, something that big would definitely light up the entire passenger compartment.

Thanks!

I was hoping an owner of such a beast would come forth and inform me if I was out of line in my thought or not.

Craig

• Like 1

This lens appears to be an automotive accessory lens of the late teens or very early 1920's most likely made by Morelight or one of their competitors.Judging from the size shown in the photo,it would have been used on a smaller car like a Ford Model T or Chevrolet 490.These lenses were being sold to replace the plate glass lenses in automobile headlights which ad become illegal in many jurisdictions due to antiglare laws.

• Thanks 1