Thud when starting out

Just a stab at it, but a common problem exists when the torque tube bushings wear out.  The bolt that goes through them will bang on the frame and/or trailing arms (yellow arrows, not a difficult job).  Also it cause cause the universal joint in the torque to bang and rub the inside of the tube since there is slip (circled in red).  If this is the problem, replacing them would/should fix it.  Just a couple of ideas.  The bushings are sold by Bob’s Automobilia, if that is the problem.

34856051-38BE-4A91-9976-FAD9480A45F5.jpeg

E8B8C65A-1612-46C9-88FC-A05DD2522268.jpeg

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

Thanks for your help, is there a way of testing it?  Would it move by hand?  It sounds like the noise is coming from that area.  Just to be clear, the  bushings are located where the yellow arrows point?  I'll get under the car tomorrow and check it out.😀

Yes, they are a huge hex shaped bolt with rubber vulcanized around it. 

You might be able to move it by hand.  You could also put a jack under the trailing arms and see if they move there.

One of my cars had garden hose fragments shoved in there to sure it up.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)
10 hours ago, 39BuickEight said:

Yes, they are a huge hex shaped bolt with rubber vulcanized around it. 

You might be able to move it by hand.  You could also put a jack under the trailing arms and see if they move there.

One of my cars had garden hose fragments shoved in there to sure it up.

Trailing arms aren't used to jack up the car they will bend! Lots going on at that area on a 1939 Buick that's one year only. Alignment and rubber vibration parts in good shape are critical to smooth operation. The factory shop manual outlines the alignment process. Good luck with the search and safety first!