Who Recalls the Name for this Aftermarket Front Bumper Guard??

Jolly_John

I can't seem to get the ol' gray matter engaged on this one. Back in the day, I thought this type of aftermarket accessory bumper guard has named for its manufacturer. You know, like a "Fulton Sun Visor" or a "Smittys Glasspack Muffler". Can anyone shed some light on this.....or perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me (quite possible). Thanks for any input. John

018 (800x453).jpg

022 (800x398).jpg

026 (800x502).jpg

Thanks for checking in keiser31. I haven't ever heard that term.  Educational!

And, a very interesting comment from you, Billy I have two 1939 Buicks, and may have purchased this grille guard from another  Buick guy years ago for eventual use on one of my cars. I looked at the contour of the guard's mounting area on the bumper before doing my initial post. But, from memory, thought it was too "tall" to be right for the '39 Buick. But now, I'm going to go to my stored '39 tomorrow, and do a direct comparison. Will let you all know. Thanks again to all for helping. John

Edited by Jolly_John (see edit history)
  • Like 2

keiser31, you are a wizard (a helpful wizard, at that!). How did you ever come up with that '39 Buick photo so quickly? Nice going....and thank you very much for your time, and the additional help.

It's interesting to see how the two factory bumper guards have been moved further outboard, to accommodate the aftermarket grille guard. You know, this style of accessory grille guard is particularly suited to the 1939 Buick. The car's vertical stainless steel trim, separating the grille halves, is particularly venerable. In my nearly 50 years of enjoying '39 Buicks, I believe I've only seen one that had an undented grille center trim before restoration. John

Edited by Jolly_John (see edit history)
  • Like 1